Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Twin Towers
Previous  1  2

Chanie

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 10:01 pm
I worked down the block from the twin towers. Every morning I would be in Manhattan by 8 to go to the gym right across from the towers. That morning, I woke up late and only made it to the city at about 8:45. I did not hear the first plane hit, because I was getting out of the subway, but when I got out I saw everyone looking up ant pointing. I was in a hurry so I took a quick look and what I saw was one of the most beautiful images. The Sky was a gorgous blue and the majestic steel towers were reaching the skies in between all the older brown buildings that line the street in lower Manhattan. The towers looked so angelic surrounded with a hallo of smoke. My thought was ' oh no, there must be a fire on one of those floors' I got to work and told my co-worker that there was a fire in the towers so he went to turn on the radio.
The broadcaster was all excited and was saying ' oh my, here comes a second plane' and as he said that we hear another bang.
We had reports to finish so we get down to business. First we notice that no one else was coming to work. Another co-worker calls us from his cel to say that he wasn't being allowed into the building.
Then they announce over the security system that we must all leave the building cuz they have to turn off the electricity.
We finally get out and start our long track to Brooklyn. That day I wore a wool sweater top to work since I shared a room with 3 chassidishe guys (woman are greatly out numbered in the programing world) and they turn the air to the highest since they had on many layers including tzitis and vest. Well the sun beat down on me and the Brooklyn Bridge was packed and I boiled.
My cell wouldn't wok.. I got one call into my mother to say I was alright and asked her to call the guy I was walking withs wife to say that he was alright too. I was just engaged and could not get in touch with my fiancee and he couldn't get a line into NY either to hear that things were alright.
Anyway, as we approached the bridge a girl came over to us (non-religious) and asked if we minded if she walked with us because she is very shaken and is scared to go herself since she lost sight of her brother in the trade-center. Just before the towers went down we lost sight of the girl.
All of a sudden we hear pple all round us hyper-ventilating. We turn around to see the first tower crumble to the grown and the smoke raising. (the second tower didn't have the same effect cuz the air was already filled with dust so you couldn't see it crumble just heard the loud rumbling sound)
Then a guy comes running from the opposite direction and he's screaming on top of his lungs "they got the pentagon too" everyone thought that guy was mad (little did we know that it was true.. although the guy was mad to be running in the direction of the towers)
I got home and slept for over 15 hours straight.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics