Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Fasting and preg
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
I am in my seventh month AND am nursing! the rav said I have to fast anyway... I dont know how I will manage...

Wow, it really goes to show how each woman's psak can be so different. Did the rav ask you a lot of questions or give you a quick answer? Just wondering.

I dont think so... it was my husband who asked him. And I was suprised too... last year I was also preg. on tisha beav and was told to fast and then guess what my baby was born a few days later - almost two weeks early!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 9:05 am
Are you saying that was good? Many women end up going into labor dehydrated & end up with c sections & really bad things from this.You got lucky.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 9:31 am
Hi!

I am due on Friday and was determined to fast today to bring on the labor but this morning when I got up, my water broke! Yay...no contractions yet, just flu like symptoms...waiting for the dr. to call me back and tell whether to come to the hospital or office.

First baby and I'm so nervous!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:09 am
Quote:
last year I was also preg. on tisha beav and was told to fast and then guess what my baby was born a few days later - almost two weeks early!

If it was a few days later, then it wasn't because of fasting - it happens within 24 hours because the baby is not getting any nourishment and the labor starts. Once you start eating again it won't happen because of the fasting.

just my opinion, but not so many years ago people fasted much more even during pregnancy - the criteria wasn't if you didn't feel well but if it was dangerous for you or your baby. Except in special circumstances most pregnant women and their babies will not come to any harm from fasting. Healthy babies were born during the holocaust and the starving women in Africa also give birth. We have become quite spoiled about suffering - did anyone read what they suffered during the Churban? Nothing compared to throwing up, heartburn etc. Obviously ask your Rav, but be honest when you tell the Rav how ill you will get if you fast...... May this be our last fast in Golus and may all women have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 11:47 am
Quote:
Healthy babies were born during the holocaust

Yes, but you don't want to know what happened to most of them, if they were early or not, mother able to have milk or not... The old generations were also stronger than us.

I wouldn't DREAM of asking our "every day life" rov about pregnancy questions.

proofreader

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:13 pm
I'm 37 weeks along (9 months) and a Rav I called said I should fast. I then asked my father who is a rabbi- I didn't ask him right away because he's always makil with us 8) but he said I should fast and eat something if I'm not feeling well. So far I'm okay, but I don't know how good it is for the baby...

Hannah!

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 12:22 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

just my opinion, but not so many years ago people fasted much more even during pregnancy - the criteria wasn't if you didn't feel well but if it was dangerous for you or your baby. Except in special circumstances most pregnant women and their babies will not come to any harm from fasting. Healthy babies were born during the holocaust and the starving women in Africa also give birth. We have become quite spoiled about suffering - did anyone read what they suffered during the Churban? Nothing compared to throwing up, heartburn etc. Obviously ask your Rav, but be honest when you tell the Rav how ill you will get if you fast...... May this be our last fast in Golus and may all women have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.

How do you know this was the case?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:45 pm
I'm in my 9th, and my father said I should start fasting and break it if I don't feel well.. I spoke to my dr yesterday who said I must drink as I have a c/s scheduled for next week and going into labor for me would be dangerous. So my father relented, and said that as long as I have to drink I can eat too.. So I'm not fasting....

suomynona

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 2:47 pm
Hannah! wrote:
When I was pregnant, my OB/GYN told me that if my waters broke, I was to report to the hospital /immediately/, and that I would have to deliver within 24 hrs. of the break -- otherwise, there is ch"v a risk of infection to the fetus.

I just wanted to give you the heads up that if your doctor asks you to come to her office, you should be prepared to head to the hospital promptly thereafter.

Good luck!

I didn't even go into labor until 36 hours after my water broke, and my Dr. was ok with that. They put me on antibiotics about 18 hours after to prevent infection.
So not every Dr. thinks it's urgent.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
Hi!

I am due on Friday and was determined to fast today to bring on the labor but this morning when I got up, my water broke! Yay...no contractions yet, just flu like symptoms...waiting for the dr. to call me back and tell whether to come to the hospital or office.

First baby and I'm so nervous!

feel good and have an easy labor!
Now that your water is broken and you'll probably give birth soon, DEFINATELY ask a rov if you should eat, because it might be very difficult to go into labor fasting/weak.

red sea

Post Tue, Jul 24 2007, 3:15 pm
Ruchel wrote:
bluesclues wrote:
amother wrote:
I am in my seventh month AND am nursing! the rav said I have to fast anyway... I dont know how I will manage...

im shocked

just hoping the rav is a doctor or something, and not machmir out of ignorance.

afaik, it is not machmir to fast but rather meikil not to fast.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days