Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Nose peircings
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:27 am
I didn't see OP say it anywhere either.
Low class? Not necessarily, particularly for someone coming from say, an Asian culture. But people who aren't coming from another culture can usually be seen as a bit more out there, and I could see how someone might lump them with the funky/hipster/goth/whatever types, fairly or not.
The fact is, we draw lines. Second ear piercings, nose piercings, other piercings are out there. I don't think anyone should feel disenfranchised is she has them but I don't see them becoming mainstream, and I use mainstream in a broad sense, like oot, wears caps(large, covers everything), very long skirts, denim. (That's me, folks Very Happy ) Do I look down on someone who has them? Assume she's not professional, kind, compassionate? Absolutely not.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
SN - special needs.
Male shadow - a person of the male gender who shadows her special needs son in school.

thanks for explaining.
but what does it mean when a person shadows a SP child in school?
he looks after him? like a "big brother?"
tx

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:14 am
In the U.S. in the late 19th/early 20th century, Jewish women immigrants were considered low-class and outlandish by mainstream America for having pierced ears.

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:15 am
watergirl wrote:
I reread the op 3 times and nowhere did she say what you claim she said. Not at all.

In my American city, very frum women have nose piercings. And I know for a fact that this exists in other cities as well. It's not a statement of anything other than the fact that you find nose piercings pretty. I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing it's a lot more insulated then where I live. That doesn't negate the from th insulated then where I live. That doesn't negate the frumness of the women who support this style.

Oops, I didn't mean OP, I meant the poster Maya was quoting, since I then responded to Maya.

For the past 3 years I've lived in the UPenn undergrad dorms...insulated indeed, but mostly from Republicans LOL

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I didn't see OP say it anywhere either.
Low class? Not necessarily, particularly for someone coming from say, an Asian culture. But people who aren't coming from another culture can usually be seen as a bit more out there, and I could see how someone might lump them with the funky/hipster/goth/whatever types, fairly or not.
The fact is, we draw lines. Second ear piercings, nose piercings, other piercings are out there. I don't think anyone should feel disenfranchised is she has them but I don't see them becoming mainstream, and I use mainstream in a broad sense, like oot, wears caps(large, covers everything), very long skirts, denim. (That's me, folks Very Happy ) Do I look down on someone who has them? Assume she's not professional, kind, compassionate? Absolutely not.

OOT?
tx

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
OOT?
tx

The list of abbreviations thread. You're welcome! Very Happy
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....tions

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:21 am
eema of 3 wrote:
SN= special needs
A male shadow is just that- a shadow (someone who follows a child around and helps or assists accordingly) who is male.

tx for explaining.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:
I don't. At least not in my mainstream dati leumi circles.
Girls, a certain type, perhaps.
More 'established', married women - not at all prevalent.

I think over 50% of the women in my religious Israeli seminary had them--including our teachers!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:30 am
Iymnok wrote:
The list of abbreviations thread. You're welcome! Very Happy
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....tions

TSM!!!!! IAEG!!!! YASK!!! Very Happy

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
I'm really being sincere about this, as I've heard this a lot--can you elaborate what that statement is?

I have seen a number of business professionals with tasteful, small nose studs.

Interesting, how do you define "business professionals"? I'm thinking executives, not CPA's and HR personnel. Nothing against CPA's and HR personnel Smile

Anyway, IME nose studs, pink hair, and huge earrings are commonly confined to rebellious or hippie teens / college students in the upper-class WASP world (thanks PF for pointing out about Asians, my Indian ped had a nose ring and that was completely culturally appropriate), so in the frum world the statement that I perceive is one of wanting to look flamboyant. I never said and I don't believe that this is any indication of their middos, any more than tight, red pants indicate anything about a man's middos. But they do make a statement about how the person wants to be perceived as "out there" relative to frum society.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
what is magenta hair?
tx

NO-ONE answered my very important Wink question: Sad WHAT IS MAGENTA HAIR?

tia

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
NO-ONE answered my very important Wink question: Sad WHAT IS MAGENTA HAIR?

tia

I'm very confused, is this supposed to be satire or something? Magenta hair is hair that has been dyed magenta. Magenta is a shade of bright pink.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
OOT?
tx

OOT is out of town.
I tend to assume that if even I know something then everyone else must.

Now, are you from Texas? Was that a hint?
http://www.acronymfinder.com/TX.html

Wink

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 3:12 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
I'm very confused, is this supposed to be satire or something? Magenta hair is hair that has been dyed magenta. Magenta is a shade of bright pink.

I thank you for answering my question.
no, my question was not satire.
"Magentayenta" said she has magenta hair, so I wanted to know what it is.
that's all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics