Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Can't afford preschool, can't afford not to work

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:13 am
My husband and I both work full-time and our jobs are difficult to just replace or even supplement. I applied to the preschool programs that I thought would work for us and neither worked out. Most of the other programs in my neighborhood are either full or are beyond our budget. What do I do?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:16 am
A lot of info is missing . Where do you live. Do you qualify for HeadStart.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:19 am
How old is your child? What are you doing for child care presently?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:21 am
I live in Queens, we make too much for HeadStart, my child is in a 2-yr old program, I applied to the 3 year-old programs that my other kids went to and both didn't work out for different reasons, by the time I found this out all the other affordable options were full. Now I'm stuck.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:03 am
I'm in Queens too and from what I know most of the 2 year old programs cost the same or more than most of the 3 year old programs. I don't know anything about the program or morahs so I can't vouch for it but try Gan Devora. I know someone who a few years ago got into their program very late in the year so it might be worth a try (and I believe they are one of the lower cost options). But do your own research as I don't know anything about it.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:06 pm
For starters, put yourself on a waiting list for every place that declined you or said they were full. Impress upon them the importance of this to you in case they might prioritize you if someone else cancels. It's not uncommon that someone could change plans for their 3-year-old between now and September. Especially if it's a place that requires them to be toilet trained...

And network. Talk to literally every parent you see about what options might exist for child care.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in Queens too and from what I know most of the 2 year old programs cost the same or more than most of the 3 year old programs. I don't know anything about the program or morahs so I can't vouch for it but try Gan Devora. I know someone who a few years ago got into their program very late in the year so it might be worth a try (and I believe they are one of the lower cost options). But do your own research as I don't know anything about it.

That seems to be my only option, but the location doesn't work well for me and as of now I don't know anyone else going there to join a carpool. If they "always have space"--is there a reason for that?

Also, I have called my top choices to remind them

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:10 pm
seeker wrote:
For starters, put yourself on a waiting list for every place that declined you or said they were full. Impress upon them the importance of this to you in case they might prioritize you if someone else cancels. It's not uncommon that someone could change plans for their 3-year-old between now and September. Especially if it's a place that requires them to be toilet trained...

And network. Talk to literally every parent you see about what options might exist for child care.

Been doing that...

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:12 pm
I'm the op of this thread: Child care subsidy could this be an option for you?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
That seems to be my only option, but the location doesn't work well for me and as of now I don't know anyone else going there to join a carpool. If they "always have space"--is there a reason for that?

Also, I have called my top choices to remind them

I'm sorry I don't really know. I don't know if they take more kids than other programs or if this person just happened to get lucky and there was a cancellation/opening when they called.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers