Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are these normal policies for a childrens museum?
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:25 pm
I went to a childrens museum with my child recently. It was a small place, geared for children up to age 8, with stuff like mini supermarket, drs office, etc. Supposedly its a non profit. They have a few policies which really really annoy me.

1. They charge for adults even though there is literally nothing of interest for an adult. (price approx $10 - same for adults and kids. They have free grandparent day during the week outside of school vacation time. Kind of ironic since most grandparents I know are well off and parents are struggling what with price of housing etc. Also, what if you don't have a grandparent willing or able to bring kids to a museum? That must really rub salt into the wound seeing an "offer" like that. If you want to attract midweek visitors, make it open to all caregivers)
2. You cannot bring strollers into the museum. Not fun lugging a heavy non crawler about.
3. no outside food. (other kids museums I have been in have picnic areas as well as a cafe)

You can also only come for a prebooked 2 hour slot. Which is not so unreasonable.

If you have a childrens museum in your city, do they have similar policies?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:27 pm
My local children's museum also charges for adults, and it's much more expensive than $10 for everyone.

Also no outside food allowed anywhere on the premises.

They do allow strollers.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:28 pm
Sounds like children's museum of Manhattan

But the fee thing is normal. I've always had to pay. I've been to at least 5 different children's museums.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:30 pm
None of those policies have been my experience with 2 nearby children's museums. Except paying for adults too. But I just bought a family pass which even if you only come twice the whole year you already came out ahead. With all the other rules you mentioned, I think I'd not want to visit.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:31 pm
Only thing that seems unusual is no strollers.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Sounds like children's museum of Manhattan

But the fee thing is normal. I've always had to pay. I've been to at least 5 different children's museums.

museum is stretching it. I've been to other kids museums and there are usually sciency type things adults also enjoy so I haven't minded paying. This was really only for very young kids.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
museum is stretching it. I've been to other kids museums and there are usually sciency type things adults also enjoy so I haven't minded paying. This was really only for very young kids.

I meant I've been to 5 different children's museums and have always seen the same fee schedule. And CMOM (also in my mind for very young chikdren) doesn't allow strollers either so babywearing a non crawler is the way to go.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
I went to a childrens museum with my child recently. It was a small place, geared for children up to age 8, with stuff like mini supermarket, drs office, etc. Supposedly its a non profit. They have a few policies which really really annoy me.

1. They charge for adults even though there is literally nothing of interest for an adult. (price approx $10 - same for adults and kids. They have free grandparent day during the week outside of school vacation time. Kind of ironic since most grandparents I know are well off and parents are struggling what with price of housing etc. Also, what if you don't have a grandparent willing or able to bring kids to a museum? That must really rub salt into the wound seeing an "offer" like that. If you want to attract midweek visitors, make it open to all caregivers)

Shrug. Then you pay. The price charged the kids reflects the fact that a caregiver is also paying. And yes, that's usually the case.

amother wrote:

2. You cannot bring strollers into the museum. Not fun lugging a heavy non crawler about.

Yes, that's usually the case. Most children's museums could not handle the large number of strollers that they would otherwise have. Think dozens, if not more.

amother wrote:
3. no outside food. (other kids museums I have been in have picnic areas as well as a cafe)

Yup. They want to sell you food. But there might also be allergen concerns.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:53 pm
There’s a place in Detroit called Detroit Kid City. It sounds like what you describe. Adults and infants under 12 months are free, but they do have a nice coffee shop they hope to get the adults at. Our Hands On Museum though costs for adults and children. Although if you happen to be 45 minutes away from home on Thursday after 5, it’s $5 a person.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:

You can also only come for a prebooked 2 hour slot. Which is not so unreasonable.

1. What is of interest to the adult is that adult's children are learning. Many grandparents (who you don't know) are on fixed incomes - and those fixed income are small (think common practice of senior discounts). Rubbing salt in what wound? Really?? They can make whatever policies they want... those who can afford to pay for a nanny during the week to take a kid to the museum... similar comment to SAM. You can always ask if they would be willing to extend the offer to a mom.

2. Strollers take up a lot of space. A lot of space. Bring a carrier.

3. Space related - and rely on food purchases as a revenue generator.

You went with one child who isn't walking? Perhaps this child wasn't ready yet for this place.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:

1, 2 and 3 are standard policies for children's museums.
But with #2 they do allow you to leave your stroller at the coat check.
And with #3 they do allow you to have outside food in specific designated areas.

The pre-booked slots are not standard as a must, though it's standard that if you arrive when it's full, you'll have to wait until a slot opens so that encourages pre-booking.

animeme

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:41 pm
What SixOfWands said.

To my knowledge, the grandparent thing is to encourage you to bring them along, not for them to come instead of you. So you bring Grandma (who may be living off social security, but even if she's not) and she is an extra adult who is there to get her nachas.

The stroller thing is common is playspaces and "museums" with a lot of little kids and smallish empty spaces in between things. It's to save space. I have seen some places that rent out their own strollers. Yes, they make money, but their strollers also don't recline and have very small footprint.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
1. What is of interest to the adult is that adult's children are learning. Many grandparents (who you don't know) are on fixed incomes - and those fixed income are small (think common practice of senior discounts). Rubbing salt in what wound? Really?? They can make whatever policies they want... those who can afford to pay for a nanny during the week to take a kid to the museum... similar comment to SAM. You can always ask if they would be willing to extend the offer to a mom.

2. Strollers take up a lot of space. A lot of space. Bring a carrier.

3. Space related - and rely on food purchases as a revenue generator.

You went with one child who isn't walking? Perhaps this child wasn't ready yet for this place.

I went with my 5 year old. I did not go to this museum for a very long time because I had babies who needed to be carried. (also now I have older kids who would be bored by this place. My older kids were not around, hence it was a good time to take my son) Babies often have older siblings who might enjoy going to this place.

Strollers do take up space, however they only let in limited numbers each session so there would be plenty of space for strollers. I've been to far more crowded museums that let in strollers.

ra mom, there is no inside space to eat there. Outside, or eat in the cafe.

Sure, they can make whatever policies they want. I just won't go if it is so user unfriendly. I am just wondering what sort of person set all these policies.

Oh, and membership is 10 times the one time cost! I honestly can't imagine going to even the most beloved and amazing museum 11 times a year, unless I lived next door.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
I went with my 5 year old. I did not go to this museum for a very long time because I had babies who needed to be carried. (also now I have older kids who would be bored by this place. My older kids were not around, hence it was a good time to take my son) Babies often have older siblings who might enjoy going to this place.

Strollers do take up space, however they only let in limited numbers each session so there would be plenty of space for strollers. I've been to far more crowded museums that let in strollers.

ra mom, there is no inside space to eat there. Outside, or eat in the cafe.

Sure, they can make whatever policies they want. I just won't go if it is so user unfriendly. I am just wondering what sort of person set all these policies.

Oh, and membership is 10 times the one time cost! I honestly can't imagine going to even the most beloved and amazing museum 11 times a year, unless I lived next door.

Your OP said "my child", not "my children".

If this is a not-for-profit it has a volunteer board. perhaps see if you can become a member of the board and push through your suggestions re pricing and strollers... curious what the NFP's mandate is.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:51 pm
animeme wrote:
What SixOfWands said.

To my knowledge, the grandparent thing is to encourage you to bring them along, not for them to come instead of you. So you bring Grandma (who may be living off social security, but even if she's not) and she is an extra adult who is there to get her nachas.

The stroller thing is common is playspaces and "museums" with a lot of little kids and smallish empty spaces in between things. It's to save space. I have seen some places that rent out their own strollers. Yes, they make money, but their strollers also don't recline and have very small footprint.

I would have no issue with that if the rental price was reasonable. But imagine someone has twins...completely impossible top even attempt to visit such a place. I don't get how if wheelchairs are ok, strollers are not. (hmm, maybe because only disabled children can complain they are discriminated against?)

They could always limit strollers to non crawling children or a certain number per session.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
I would have no issue with that if the rental price was reasonable. But imagine someone has twins...completely impossible top even attempt to visit such a place. I don't get how if wheelchairs are ok, strollers are not. (hmm, maybe because only disabled children can complain they are discriminated against?)

They could always limit strollers to non crawling children or a certain number per session.

there wheelchairs are an accommodation for a child who is age appropriate for the museum. The stroller is an accommodation for the parent.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:

You're kidding, right?

You don't understand why a facility, with limited space (you DID refer to the place as small) might choose not to allow in strollers -- likely dozens of strollers at a time, clogging space and making things uncomfortable and possibly unsafe -- when there are other means to transport children (using a backpack or front carrier, holding the child, and, for the children for whom the space is really intended, walking); but would allow wheelchairs, in order to accommodate differently abled children or adults, who really have no choice but to be in a wheelchair.

bestme

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:15 pm
Many of the museum's that I have been to have all these rules except for the 2 hour rule.
They definitely all charge for adults. I have never heard of a museum that have a 2 hour time slot.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:11 pm
There is a WONDERFUL children's museum in Cincinnati. Seriously, you should all visit :-)
They charge per person. Family membership usually pays for itself in 2 visits.
They definitely allow strollers. But this may be an OOT vs. in town thing, where OOT places are huge and don't have NY-type space constraints.
They have a cafeteria where you can bring your own food or order theirs.
You can stay all day if you want. And it is so awesome, you will want :-)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:18 am
There really are all type, from the museum who really lets you be, to those... who don't.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children