Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Salary working at a shul?
Previous  1  2

simba

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
A go getter shul admin?

Yes, someone who will negotiate pricing with vendors. Someone who will make sure the shul is paying only for the services the used. Make sure all outstanding donations/memberships are paid up to date. Someone who they can rely on to be there and follow through with a project.
Another peach, Do you need a hug tonight?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Do you realize how rude you are miss high and mighty? Yes, a shul admin can be the one on top of many projects. Just because you only respect those who have ritzy jobs, doesn't mean you should keep putting down the honest job OP is trying to negotiate.

I don’t have a ritzy job. I mentioned my salary because OP called me out.

You are 100% right. Shul admins roles vary a lot - which is why comparing what other shuls pay isn’t relevant.

So far on this thread I have said - NFPs should be paying market rate for the position and it’s responsiblities. Market rate should be no different in NFP or for-profit.

If OP can say - look I bring more to this role than the 20k a year you are offering, because I have the following skill set- which will do XYZ for this shul - fantastic, wonderful, kol Hakavod to her. Good luck with the negotiation.

But shul QRS paying 30k a year, with no additional information as to what that admin is tasked with (like perhaps she does all the bookkeeping), isn’t helpful.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:29 pm
simba wrote:
Yes, someone who will negotiate pricing with vendors. Someone who will make sure the shul is paying only for the services the used. Make sure all outstanding donations/memberships are paid up to date. Someone who they can rely on to be there and follow through with a project.
Another peach, Do you need a hug tonight?

Great - let her raise all those extra things she is going to do above and beyond what is expected of her when she is negotiating. Leave the other shuls out of it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
A go getter shul admin?

Most definitely!
My husband is a rabbi, and while it's more of a chabad house than a traditional shul it shouldn't make much of a difference with regard to the type of people hired.
We for sure want someone with confidence and a go getter attitude.
I don't know what type of shul the op is interviewing at, but the job can be quite busy with lots of responsibility.

Op, we aren't in the US, so the salary is irrelevant. But I can say that most of the people my husband has hired have negotiated their salary. (There are a number of staff members) Be menshlich, but just because it's not a high flying job doesn't mean you can't negotiate.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
So what you're saying is that those women that earn less than you cannot negotiate? We don't have the "skill" to do so??? That's ridiculous! I hope you have better advice in your job. Women can negotiate with many job offers...and they should negotiate especially when the salary is not like yours! much much much lower. You're the one who's actually the chutzpa to tell me to just take the job without negotiating....a much much lower salary job than yours. Administrative assistants at shuls can do much more than just the title. And by the way, I do have experience as an administrative assistant and [b]I earned much more because it wasn't at a shul. But I'm willing to now change the setting and work at a jewish environment so I could get off also at normal hours to see my kids and be off on the holidays. I'm willing to get paid less than my other job, but they're offering much less and I'm not a sucker...I know I can negotiate. Which, by the way, I already spoke to them and they will give me an answer, so there's always a possibility!

That’s (bolded) your negotiation point. The for-profit world thinks I’m worth this. I have a lot to offer you. I was hoping you’d be able to offer me more money.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:32 am
Update: I accepted a job offer from a shul AND I did succeed in negotiating with them as well regarding salary! It just proves that no matter how low your salary is or where you work or the type of work, you can always try to negotiate, this is a message for all women. I'm going to try my best to show them how I'll contribute greatly to this job and I take any job seriously. Smile

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Update: I accepted a job offer from a shul AND I did succeed in negotiating with them as well regarding salary! It just proves that no matter how low your salary is or where you work or the type of work, you can always try to negotiate, this is a message for all women. I'm going to try my best to show them how I'll contribute greatly to this job and I take any job seriously. Smile

Mazel tov!! Did what other shuls pay make the difference? Or did you demonstrate your competencies? Or find a similar position in any environment that pays more.

I admit to being mean - I’m sorry. I’m not anti-negotiation, I just think it needs to be more sophisticated then collecting data about other shuls.. (I also got a feeling, perhaps wrongly, that you felt like you were being taken advantage of from a pay perspective, and given this is a NFP, nobody is ‘pocketing extra’ by paying you less. That said, if paying you more to do more makes the lives of unpaid people easier..it works...)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics