Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Pros and cons of the flu shot
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

pesek zman

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
But many get very sick - like paralyzed- from the flu shot.

And many who got the flu from the flu shot may not have gotten the flu to begin with.

Anyway, how many people actually die from the flu to begin with?

Last season, 110 children died from flu in the U.S. In the 2009 pandemic of H1N1 swine flu, that new strain killed 282 children and 358 children in total died from influenza that season. Every year, influenza kills between 12,000 and 49,000 people and can send more than 700,000 people to the hospital, the CDC says.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:54 pm
Maryann wrote:
What's tamiflu

Ask your pediatrician.

If you give tamiflu within 24 hours of first onset of flu symptoms, the flu will pretty much disappear. Practically.

It's like an antibiotic for flu.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:59 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Last season, 110 children died from flu in the U.S. In the 2009 pandemic of H1N1 swine flu, that new strain killed 282 children and 358 children in total died from influenza that season. Every year, influenza kills between 12,000 and 49,000 people and can send more than 700,000 people to the hospital, the CDC says.

I responded to this already earlier upthread.

Last year's flu vaccine was particularly ineffective, which certainly contributed to the high sickness rates.

Nobody is tabulating the amount of people who actually got the flu from the flu vaccine, or got serious side effects from the flu vaccine. So we'll never know the true percentages.

Read Dr. Humphries book for the actual true story why she gave up her prestigious job as the head of a medical department in a hospital to devote herself to homeopathy and writing books about the evils of vaccines.

Maryann

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
Ask your pediatrician.

If you give tamiflu within 24 hours of first onset of flu symptoms, the flu will pretty much disappear. Practically.

So. It's a antibiotics? Or. A shot?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:10 pm
Maryann wrote:
So. It's a antibiotics? Or. A shot?

Sorry, I didn't explain it right.

It's a pill that you take as soon as you get the flu symptoms. It's not a shot, and it's not antibiotics. It's an anti-flu pill.

Maryann

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry, I didn't explain it right.

It's a pill that you take as soon as you get the flu symptoms. It's not a shot, and it's not antibiotics. It's an anti-flu pill.

Ty.. I actually planned to take my kids tomorrow to get the shot
Now I'm rethinking

simba

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
Ask your pediatrician.

Not accurate. Tamiflu lessens flu symptoms and in best case scenario shortens it by a day,
Mind you, last year there was a national crisis when the flu was raging and Tamiflu was sold out across the country.
Also, you need to take it within 24 hours of beginning of sypmtoms. That is a really short window.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:27 pm
simba wrote:
Not accurate. Tamiflu lessens flu symptoms and in best case scenario shortens it by a day,
Mind you, last year there was a national crisis when the flu was raging and Tamiflu was sold out across the country.
Also, you need to take it within 24 hours of beginning of sypmtoms. That is a really short window.

This. Tamiflu does NOT make the flu disappear. If it was an "antibiotic for flu" then nobody would mind the flu.
It is not a cure. Do some research, its all available online. You need to take it immediately, and even then, it only shortens the period of illness by a day or two. Thats it.

Not only that, some pediatricians in monsey last year (or the year before?)were not giving it to kids based on some research that showed it might contribute to gastrointestinal bleeding/problems in children. Not sure about the exact details on this, I just remember some offices werent prescribing it

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:27 pm
simba wrote:

That's not what happened to me.

My son had flu 6 years ago and he was sick for three weeks. The next time he got the flu, he got tamiflu right away and he was back to school in two days.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:33 pm
simba wrote:

It can shorten it by much more than a day.
My kids had the flu last year. The one who I didn't know had the flu till after 24 hours, the doctor advised it to give it anyway, and she was ready to go back to school on Tuesday. Her symptoms started the week before on Monday. (By Monday the following week she asked to go to school. But I felt she needed that extra day to rest up a little more) We started the tamiflu on Wednesday, by Friday morning her fever was gone.
So the whole thing was a week and a day. A lot shorter than a full blown flu episode.
Her sisters symptoms started on Tuesday middle of the night. By Wednesday afternoon she took the tamiflu. Her fever was gone by thursday morning. She wanted school on friday.... but I kept her home. She went to school on monday.

My neighbor didn't give her kids tamiflu. Not even Tylenol "let the body fight it out. Blablabla" all her kids were home sick for more than 3 weeks. And her husband. Then she got it........

happy12

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
But many get very sick - like paralyzed- from the flu shot.

And many who got the flu from the flu shot may not have gotten the flu to begin with.

It is not possible to get the flu from the flu shot as it is a dead virus. However varicella and the mmr are live virus and a recent vaccinated person can shed the virus.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:44 pm
happy12 wrote:
It is not possible to get the flu from the flu shot as it is a dead virus. However varicella and the mmr are live virus and a recent vaccinated person can shed the virus.

No, my dh got the live virus. And he got the flu. Not possible my foot.

Also, I checked this and they say that the reason why it is more likely to get the flu after you get the flu shot is because as your body is fighting the first flu, from the shot, and then your resistance is low and you can more easily catch another strain of the flu. Look it up.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
That's not what happened to me.

My son had flu 6 years ago and he was sick for three weeks. The next time he got the flu, he got tamiflu right away and he was back to school in two days.

or, since once we get a flu, we become resistant to it, the one he took tamiflu would have been milder anyways.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:07 pm
andrea levy wrote:
or, since once we get a flu, we become resistant to it, the one he took tamiflu would have been milder anyways.

No, it was a different strain of flu. And it happened to my other children, my friend's children, and my sister's children. Tamiflu really works.

But believe what you want.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
No, it was a different strain of flu. And it happened to my other children, my friend's children, and my sister's children. Tamiflu really works.

But believe what you want.

Yep, what I said. It was a different strain of flu. But believe what you want.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:58 pm
In my office of ~100 employees, they offer the flu shot.
About 1/3 are down and out for 2 days afterwards. So they are sick with SOMETHING the flu shot causes.

That's A. And B, Tamiflu does indeed typically shorten flu symptoms by a day and has severe side effects in some people, including vomiting and diarrhea so severe they require hospitalization, as well as hallucinations.

Read this well researched article.
https://www.theatlantic.com/he.....3167/

The fact that you were once sick with the flu for 3 weeks and and another time was only sick for 2 days is due to the differing strains, not the fact that Tamiflu was administered.

From the article (but please read the whole thing):
"In 2009, a decade after the drug was approved, an FDA spokesperson told the BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) that clinical trials "failed to demonstrate any significant difference in rates of hospitalization, complications, or mortality in patients receiving either Tamiflu or placebo."

Last year, the prestigious Cochrane Collaboration, a group of experts in medical evidence, set about re-analyzing all the data they could lay their hands on about Tamiflu. When they examined seven studies of hospitalizations of flu patients given Tamiflu or placebo, Roche's drug showed "no effect." In other words, go to your doctor, pay your money -- and you're just as likely to end up sick enough to require hospitalization, whether or not you take the drug. The Cochrane study did find that flu symptoms were shortened by 21 hours, which hardly seems worth the risk of Tamiflu's side effects, which include vomiting and diarrhea. The drug has also been linked -- anecdotally -- to psychiatric symptoms."

The article goes on to explain how the drug got approved at all, and shows it is all based on observational, rather than actual scientific studies (like many drugs, in fact). I hope one day we will have an FDA that will actually do the job we all think they do.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:07 pm
I am mother above who posted link about dangers and ineffectiveness of Tamiflu.

I forgot to post my own story, so here goes:
I was in the hospital with flu and pneumonia, after having been sick for 3 weeks and getting worse. I eventually checked in when I couldn't breathe anymore. I was really quite sick. The doctors wanted to give me TAMIFLU, which was shocking since it needs to be done at the first hint of illness; certainly not 3 weeks later! I told this to the doctor who said, dismissively, "if you're sick enough for the hospital, you're sick enough for Tamiflu" !!!!!! label instructions and scientific process be darned, it was all about how he "felt." Many other such experiences with doctors and drugs...

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:22 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Yep, what I said. It was a different strain of flu. But believe what you want.

So you're saying that my son had a different strain of flu and it only lasted two days? And my other two children who never had the flu before-- what's your explanation? I have never, ever heard of a two day flu. But like I said, believe what you want...

You do have to give it RIGHT away at the first sign of flu for it to be effective. Preferably within the first 12 hours of onset of symptoms. Maybe that's why it worked for me and didn't work for you...

simba

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
So you're saying that my son had a different strain of flu and it only lasted two days? And my other two children who never had the flu before-- what's your explanation? I have never, ever heard of a two day flu. But like I said, believe what you want...

You do have to give it RIGHT away at the first sign of flu for it to be effective. Preferably within the first 12 hours of onset of symptoms. Maybe that's why it worked for me and didn't work for you...

What I am saying is; that when there are children dying of the flu and you are not a health professional, you are entitled to make choices for your own children but I wouldnt publicly make any recommendations.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:38 pm
simba wrote:
What I am saying is; that when there are children dying of the flu and you are not a health professional, you are entitled to make choices for your own children but I wouldnt publicly make any recommendations.

I absolutely am not making any recommendations. Someone asked me what tamiflu is and I explained what it is.

You have to get it as a prescription, so there's no chance of someone getting it without a doctor's approval.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics