Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Justifying a luxury expense
Previous  1  2

simba

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 5:36 pm
A sheitel is an important purchase for a frum women. if you can afford to splurge on something you feel has good value you should do it without guilt. Looking and feeling good is important.
I bought a Barbera almost 4 years back for close to 3k and though it was a splurge it is beautiful and high quality and I love the way it feels and looks. Covering your hair is a Mitzvah (compared to splurging on a designer bag!) you can spend money guilt -free, I equate it to a womens esrog.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:02 pm
OP, Please look around before making your final decision. Shaitles are ALWAYS a risk. I bought a gorgeous wig that was over $3000. It was stunning in the store, and that was it. It was a total lemon and after many tries and various fixes, it went into the garbage. A different popular name brand I bought was a lemon as well even though, at the time, that's what THE name to get.

On the other hand, my less expensive wigs (1400-1800) look beautiful and have held up better. If it looks gorgeous for 3-4 years, that's fine. I feel less guilty about buying a new one since it wasn't 3000+.

You can have cheap lemons, expensive lemons, and beautiful from both, but don't assume you can't get something beautiful that meets all your preferences for less, and don't think that if you spend $3000 you'll have the perfect wig - or you'll end up disappointed.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:22 am
Personally, I’m happy with my $1200-$1500 wigs. But op if your $3000 wig is exactly what you’ve always dreamed about go for it!
You saved up the money and you deserve a nice wig. Please don’t feel guilty- I don’t understand the need to “justify” at all.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:52 am
what simba said

do your research but mainly on the sheitel macher too, go somewhere you will get a great sheitel you really like plus a fabulous cut and backup on the off chance it should be a lemon.

I had one too thick which someone finally was able to figure out the problem and thin. But its not the same as getting one new really good one.

And if you can't fix the other for a second one then donate it to a gemach someone will enjoy it and get the benefit of it.

I wear my sheitels for years day in and day out to fulfill the mitzvah. I get the best sheitels I can.

Love what simba said - yes you are fulfilling a mitzvah! Get the sheitel with full heart, enjoyment and pride!
And you are making a kiddish Hashem! In our circles work and kiruv people learned a lot about kisui rosh and its not about being a shmatte -- influence for the good!

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:53 am
I just got a stunning Irene for $1000. Long and pre highlighted. I had it thinned. Then I bought an illusion band from chevy kirshner so the front has amazing lace front super natural with baby hairs and I wear them together. I keep getting compliments.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 6:23 am
Wigs are a big gamble. I can easily swipe my cc for 10k on something I like (for example chandalier etc) And feel confident that I will be happy with the purchase because what you see is what you get. With wigs however and speaking from recent personal experience it’s a combination of so many things.. I recently spent lots of $ of a fall. I were them everyday and wanted one with good hair. It had to be custom made. and there was problem after problem that the person who sold it to be tried to fix (all the hair falling out, crazy knotting many more issues) and these things I couldn’t see when I purchased it. Anyways it’s been a long journey and she couldn’t fix it. And offered me a new fall instead so I said sure anyways she couldn’t find me one because companies don’t have ready made falls with good hair so she was offering me worse quality fall for the same $ I paid. She then was offering me a full wig which I don’t want and that’s not what I gave deposit for etc I didn’t think that was fair and asked for my money back whichI did many times during this process and I said if she refused we will be going to a rabbi or lawyer to sort this out. So she said I will give you Part of your money back because I spent so much time on you/ this. I said no. She then said she will give me all my money back. (Which I didn’t receive yet so will keep you posted) mine you we started this way over a year ago so I gave her plenty of chances and time. I’m treating this like business. I asked you for x you said yes you can do it you can’t deliver I want a refund. She then started sending me so many mean messages saying she was never theathened by anyone before and how mean and disgusting person I am.I wasn’t looking to theathen her. It was simply we can’t come to an Agreement let’s get another opinion. I never took out my anger or frustrations on her. She always just screaming at me with emotional respeonces. I really tried to work with her. She says she will be giving my money back because she exhausted all her options. And deep down she knows that fair. Just it hurts to take a loss. But that’s business. Just sharing so people are aware!

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
I bought a wig before I got married about 3 years ago. I've never liked it and have come to hate it-I've tried every fix I can think of and nothing has substantially improved how I feel about the wig. Since I'm in school I mainly wear a fall but I will be starting work soon where I'll need a full wig every day and I want one that I love. I expect the brand and type I want will cost about $3,000. In order to pay for the new wig without reducing our savings, I took a part time job. But now that I actually have the money I feel too guilty to actually buy the wig. I keep thinking of all the better things I could be doing with that money, mainly by saving it.
For context, we don't BH have any money issues, we cover our expenses with a decent amount of money to save for retirement, down payment etc.
So am I crazy? What should I do?

OP - please buy the wig you desire - you set a goal - you worked for your goal - go got there.

I hope its all you hope it will be.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 11:28 am
A good sheitel macher will stand behind the product and make sure it gets fixed and you are happy with it.
You can ask around for recommendations and you can ask the sheitel macher also first before purchase how she handles such situations and tell her your concerns.

hatzlocha!

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
Wigs are a big gamble. I can easily swipe my cc for 10k on something I like (for example chandalier etc) And feel confident that I will be happy with the purchase because what you see is what you get. With wigs however and speaking from recent personal experience it’s a combination of so many things.. I recently spent lots of $ of a fall. I were them everyday and wanted one with good hair. It had to be custom made. and there was problem after problem that the person who sold it to be tried to fix (all the hair falling out, crazy knotting many more issues) and these things I couldn’t see when I purchased it. Anyways it’s been a long journey and she couldn’t fix it. And offered me a new fall instead so I said sure anyways she couldn’t find me one because companies don’t have ready made falls with good hair so she was offering me worse quality fall for the same $ I paid. She then was offering me a full wig which I don’t want and that’s not what I gave deposit for etc I didn’t think that was fair and asked for my money back whichI did many times during this process and I said if she refused we will be going to a rabbi or lawyer to sort this out. So she said I will give you Part of your money back because I spent so much time on you/ this. I said no. She then said she will give me all my money back. (Which I didn’t receive yet so will keep you posted) mine you we started this way over a year ago so I gave her plenty of chances and time. I’m treating this like business. I asked you for x you said yes you can do it you can’t deliver I want a refund. She then started sending me so many mean messages saying she was never theathened by anyone before and how mean and disgusting person I am.I wasn’t looking to theathen her. It was simply we can’t come to an Agreement let’s get another opinion. I never took out my anger or frustrations on her. She always just screaming at me with emotional respeonces. I really tried to work with her. She says she will be giving my money back because she exhausted all her options. And deep down she knows that fair. Just it hurts to take a loss. But that’s business. Just sharing so people are aware!

Pray tell, was this Shevy by any chance? I believe u need to publicize it so as to prevent other Jews from being rooked by whoever did this to you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
A good sheitel macher will stand behind the product and make sure it gets fixed and you are happy with it.
You can ask around for recommendations and you can ask the sheitel macher also first before purchase how she handles such situations and tell her your concerns.

hatzlocha!

Not necessarily. There are a couple of famous ones in business for decades who absolutely robbed me, stole my money and produced a shabby wig and refused to fix or return my money

bobeli

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 4:05 pm
Can anyone tell me where you buy wigs for $100? Are they real hair?

Sebastian

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 4:15 pm
Theyre synthetic

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
OP here- I'm looking for something that looks really super natural and not-wiggy at all. I currently have a popular brand and it's extremely wiggy and the hair is so so thick. All of the sheitel machers I've taken it to who cut it say that they're shocked by how much and how thick the hair is.
I need something with a very natural front that I can put up in bobby pins so its not in my face. From everything I've seen, I think a Yafi has everything I want.
Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

I didn't read past this but my first wig was a yaffi (2500), long beautiful and luxurious with a lace front. The hair was so fine that it contantly got tangled and it was also straight so didn't hold any styles. After about a year I bought my second wig and haven't touched that exorbitant yaffi since. The quality was TOO good to be practical.

sky

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 5:52 pm
First of all you earned it - literally - so get it!!

Honestly I’ve had many cheaper $1k sheitels and one much more expensive and you cant compare. The one that was much more expensive is 1000 tines more comfortable on my head.

It’s still a risk because there are plenty on 3k lemons out there. Just make sure you go to someone who will stand behind it.

(My very expensive sheitel actually was a lemon first time around and it was replaced after a year of trying to make it work. Had I not had Someone good behind me I would have thrown out a lot of money).

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 6:17 pm
I can relate. I need a new wig. I have yep miri wigs European line. One is nine years old and one is four. I need to replace the older one. I have my eyes set on a wig that normally costs like 4000 but I can get for about 3000. I also have a very nice fall from Ali Express that I live and I am now thinking to order one from there for about 500 and if I hate it get the more expensive one. I can't make up my mind.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 7:08 pm
Consider it an investment. I bought an expensive high quality $2k wig when I got married. I’ve worn it regularly for 10+ yrs now. I’ve only colored it twice. If you have a good quality one and take good care of it (and are okay not changing styles), then long term it comes out the same as buying cheaper ones that don’t last as long.

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:52 am
Buy and enjoy, you will use it day in.day out for a very long time. Since I hear some have a guarantee for plain disliking it, maybe do that. I buy seldom but when I buy its about 2000 to 2600. I cut only by Toby Pal because the cut is extremely important. If you tell a GOOD sheitel machern at time of chosing what you want and for what ocasion she can help figure out exactly what brand and texture and thickness etc etc you need. Also tell her if you plan to touch up your self between touches. Like I dont do anything in between. I dont have guts.

When buying always ask if its high maintenamce or low. For work you need a low maintenance hair . The style should sort of "last".One that the style pretty much stays good even thru some rain. You cannot buy a thin Shevy that is for weddings and use for work. You'll be going back every 10 days to restyle unless you are very handy.

Its Friday

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:54 am
Oops, old post. Did you buy? How is it?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics