Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Midtown NYC
Previous  1  2  3

dragoneye126

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:30 am
I would urge you to reconsider living in student housing. Family housing is often a great deal in terms of rent and space. My family lived in a student housing apartment in Manhattan for years, and it was bigger, nicer, and had more amenities than I will ever be able to afford again. And we paid way below market price, too. There were other frum families in the same position, so we made our own community. It’s true that this becomes harder to maintain with more children, but it was fine with two small babies.

Besides, depending on the type of grad school, they may be many benefits to living so close to the school (evening study groups, office hours, convenient place to study, etc).

If you know anyone who has gone through the same program, maybe you should ask about where they lived and what they recommend for you.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Exact areas please?

Look around Ave I, J, K and E 13-18 for quick walks to the Q train, which goes to midtown. Again, it depends where in midtown you will be.

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:46 am
Based on the updated info you posted, I think you'd be happy on the UWS as long as you can afford it, or make yourselves happy in whatever you are able to afford. There are many young families there, a number of shul options where you'd fit in religiously and agewise, grocery shopping, several restaurants, and a very reasonable commute to Midtown.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:47 am
To find out more info on the LES, contact Jacob Goldman at Loho realty.
it's hard to find 2 BR rentals, and they will be above $4000, but he will know if there are any in the area. He helped us find our apartment. he can also connect you with someone fi you want to come for a shabbos.
hatzlacha!

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:59 am
dragoneye126 wrote:
I would urge you to reconsider living in student housing. Family housing is often a great deal in terms of rent and space. My family lived in a student housing apartment in Manhattan for years, and it was bigger, nicer, and had more amenities than I will ever be able to afford again. And we paid way below market price, too. There were other frum families in the same position, so we made our own community. It’s true that this becomes harder to maintain with more children, but it was fine with two small babies.

Besides, depending on the type of grad school, they may be many benefits to living so close to the school (evening study groups, office hours, convenient place to study, etc).

If you know anyone who has gone through the same program, maybe you should ask about where they lived and what they recommend for you.

Thanks so much for the input.
Did you have a shul nearby?
The chances of there being other frum families is close to nil, let alone another frum person is close to nil.
It's a really hard program to get into.
I will try to find out from people who were in the program previously, but so far haven't)

There are definitely pros to living in the student housing, I'm just worried about the part where we wouldn't be near any other frum Jews
thanks again for the info

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for the input.
Did you have a shul nearby?
The chances of there being other frum families is close to nil, let alone another frum person is close to nil.
It's a really hard program to get into.
I will try to find out from people who were in the program previously, but so far haven't)

There are definitely pros to living in the student housing, I'm just worried about the part where we wouldn't be near any other frum Jews
thanks again for the info

Can you tell us more about where the graduate program is? Scratching my head to think of a university in midtown but am
Coming up dry. If we knew exactly where the school is our suggestions as to where to live would be more relevant

dragoneye126

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:11 pm
Yes, we had Shuls nearby. There are so many options in Manhattan, and shul hopping is definitely a “thing”! You might have to walk a little farther to get to a place where you feel at home, but that’s normal for city living.

I won’t lie, we definitely ended up in a community that was different from what we were looking for, but now that we’re in a different phase of life (suburbs, day schools, etc), we really miss the diversity of old life.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:18 pm
dragoneye126 wrote:
Yes, we had Shuls nearby. There are so many options in Manhattan, and shul hopping is definitely a “thing”! You might have to walk a little farther to get to a place where you feel at home, but that’s normal for city living.

I won’t lie, we definitely ended up in a community that was different from what we were looking for, but now that we’re in a different phase of life (suburbs, day schools, etc), we really miss the diversity of old life.

The diversity of Manhattan is unparalleled. I love it so much and will miss it when we have to leave

ellacoe

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:48 pm
OP, where would the student housing be? There are minyanim all over Manhattan now, many unpublicized. Getting food is not as difficult as people make it out to be. All the stores, Evergreen, Grand on Essex, Breadberry etc deliver to Manhattan.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:49 pm
You’re both going to grad school or just dh? I’m also having trouble thinking of a school in midtown besides Stern but I don’t think they have grad school.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating