Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do u really believe
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

salt

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
If any of us really believed that Moshiach could come any minute, none of us would be living in houses, or putting any money into the houses once we owned them, or spending money on endless THINGS that we fill our house with that we'd have to leave behind.

I WANT to believe that Moshiach can come any minute, and if you ask me if it could occur, of course I would agree, but my actions belie my beliefs. So what is true?

This doesn't make sense.
Why won't we live in houses when Mashiach comes?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:41 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Again, the pasuk means that we are waiting for Moshiach the entire day. That implies that we expect that Moshiach will come at any minute, not that we believe the entire day that he will come. Your interpretation implies that otherwise, some people believe he will come for part of the day, but don't believe the other part of the day. The reason כל היום is said is that we eagerly await his arrival the entire day.

Sorry I disagree. I don't think it implies what you wrote at all, quite the opposite. I think most people spend a small part of the day thinking about Moshiach, and most of the day not. But what we are supposed to do is be aware and expecting all the time, that ONE DAY he will come. Like we are aware all the time on a fast day that we are hungry.

There are certain months when various rabbis in the Gemara said that Moshiach would or would not come. It makes sense to say that in months that he was not expected to come, that they still ANTICIPATED his coming. Just not that day. Expecting he will come today every day to me seems an extremely childish interpretation, one that after many years of doing it a d seeing that they were WRONG , a person is likely to become jaded.

In fact that is the greatest proof actually. Your version seems to.be commanding something that for every day in history bar one will be a lie. I cannot believe that the Master of all Emes would command something like this.

I feel Rav Henkin's view, rather than being 'convoluted: as someone said upthread, is a sophisticated and more emesdig interpretation.

But each to their own. I don't see much point in debating this further.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics