Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Publicizing my yeshua
Previous  1  2  3

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:27 pm
lilies wrote:
I don't know much about this specific segula, but then how do you reconcile the concept of segulos , in general?
Do you think ruby stones for something with pregnancy, or ayin hora pouring lead, and stuff like that are all avodah zara?

Side note, if something seems very much like avodah zara to you, doesn't actually make it avodah zara. You may just be missing some pertinent info. Why not ask you lor what he thinks?

I was told that the red bracelet is avodah zara. The exact words, by my LOR. We do have a sefer at home about sources for segulos, and it tries to pinpoint where things originate from. Often, there's no Torah origin. Like for the pouring lead for eyin hara, the key in the challah, the garlic and sugar at the pidyon haben, etc. As for the ruby while pregnant, this seems to be from the Shulchan Aruch, but we don't know what stone he was referring to. The ruby was chosen at random, probably for its color.

lilies

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:45 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I was told that the red bracelet is avodah zara. The exact words, by my LOR. We do have a sefer at home about sources for segulos, and it tries to pinpoint where things originate from. Often, there's no Torah origin. Like for the pouring lead for eyin hara, the key in the challah, the garlic and sugar at the pidyon haben, etc. As for the ruby while pregnant, this seems to be from the Shulchan Aruch, but we don't know what stone he was referring to. The ruby was chosen at random, probably for its color.

So if there's no specific Torah origin you assume avodah zara. Got it. You also feel responsible to let those who believe there is merit to these segulos know you believe it's avodah zara.

octopus

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:57 pm
My rav made me cut off my red bendele (string). As far as the ruby, I don't know enough about it, but I know reliable people who do it, but it is not for me. I cannot comment about the lead pouring.

I'd like to think that the intent of segulos are very similar in idea to simanei milsa that we do on rosh hashana. Do you really think dipping a piece of Apple in honey will grant you a sweet year? No. If you believe that you are superstitious. The dipping the apple in honey is a tefilla through an action. Its elevating the mundane action of eating, into the holiest of tefillos. The segula on its own is not going to give you what you want. That's superstition. The segula should arouse a person to say , "look Hashem, I'm doing this for You. Please grant me my request." There are people that run to do every segula but think it is the segula and forget Hashem in the process. Talk to your LOR. My background (litvish)influences heavily my attitudes toward segulas versus halacha.

I also feel the correct kavanos in this area is the difference between something praiseworthy and outright kefira.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics