Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Putting stuffed animals in window for “safari”

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:57 pm
People in my neighborhood are putting safari stuffed animals in their windows so when children and adults take walks or rides they can look for them. Cute idea to break up the day. But , my husband is wondering: Is there a halachik problem with this(does this have an origin of Avodah zorah of placing idols in in windows)?
I would like to participate, but I am unsure if it’s a problem. I don’t want to ask Rabbi bec he is so busy with Coronavirus illnesses and deaths, Pesach, people losing jobs, etc

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:58 pm
So weird! I don't get it. Scratching Head

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:03 pm
I'm no rav, but I hardly think there is a connection. In my city, we are hanging rainbows with the message "ça va bien aller" for the same reason. It's a sweet way to show unity and encourage each other.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:04 pm
Since when are stuffed animals considered an idol?
If you think they're an idol, you shouldn't be having them in the house at all.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:47 pm
Not related to idols at all, not even like pirsumei nisa of a menorah in the window.

It’s just a way for people to “socialize” in a time of isolation. A cute activity to do with minimal in-person contact since a stuffed animal in the window can be seen at a distance.

In my town, people used teddy bears and went on “a bear hunt”, like the kids’ nursery chant. Tons of frum people did it.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:52 pm
I’m confused. Are people bowing to the the animals or praying to them?

Frumme

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:05 pm
As I understand it, avodah Zara only applies to something if it is common knowledge that it is common practice to worship a specific idol in a specific way. Following this logic, as long as people in your country don't bow down Simba the Stuffed Lion regularly, I think you're fine.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 2:57 am
Such a cute idea! We have it in our neighborhood, and I'm ashamed to admit I enjoy it as much as the kids do TMI

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:05 am
We have rainbows. I was surprised when our youth community sent out the flyer as I thought they were now toevah 😉
(I am just kidding)

It is such a cute idea and so much fun for the kids!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:08 am
Don't you know that you are advertising to zexual predators that there are children in your house? You are basically inviting them in!

/sarcasm, because I have actually seen this argument here on this board before.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:34 am
What a cute idea!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:42 am
My teenaged granddaughters created a Bingo board. Their mother takes the kids on daily drives where they have to look for various things e.g. Man learning on a Porch, Kids looking out the window etc.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:36 am
We’re all facing real problems now. Let’s not invent new ones. Please.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 10:15 am
I tried, but every time my 2 yr old sees his toys in the window, he wants me to take it down. Haven't seen too many kids pass by our window, so I gave up. Sad I thought it was a cute idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions