Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
TRYING TO UNDERSTAND
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:57 am
singleagain wrote:
In my opinion, ppl need an outlet to express themselves. They also either want to keep in touch with ppl. Or maybe, they are lonely and want to find their tribe.

Live Journal was started by a guy who wanted an easy way to update his high school friends on his goings on in life.

YouTube was started by three guys who wanted to be able to share a large home video file with friends easily.

Facebook was created as a way for the students at Harvard to connect with each other.

Why do I post not anonymously? Bc I want to give a face/voice to the struggles I'm going through so maybe someone else going through the same struggles will think "hey... Look, someone else gets it. I'm not as alone as I feel"

Totally agreed.

When DD wanted to post things online, I told her "Never post anything you would not want to see on a billboard along a busy highway." I still stand by that.

I don't understand posting trivial things, but I do understand people who post personal things. I've certainly been extremely open and vulnerable on this board, because I think it's important, to me - and sometimes to other people. If my struggles can help someone, then it's all worth it. I also like sharing all the blessings in my life.

DD likes to post memes of cute animals saying funny things, and keeping up with her friends who went on to different schools or moved away. She never posts anything too personal, and saves that for real life.

malki2

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 10:39 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Where did you get this information? Its factually not true.

Sorry, that one was actually called Facemash. It was started by Zuckerberg at Harvard and was the pre-cursor to Facebook.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 10:40 am
I agree that the whole concept of posting one's entire life on social media is absurd, picayune and immature, but what does that say about the people following them? If you don't like it, don't go there! Nobody's forcing you to join the ranks of the followers.

Much harder is avoiding individuals who do the same thing using no technology at all, iow talking their heads off about everything they see, do, think, have, wish, buy, etc. When it's the person sitting next to you at a dinner or at the next desk over in the office who suffers from verbal diarrhea (actually, they don't suffer, everyone around them suffers), you're stuck. The only thing you're missing is the pictures.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics