Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Just venting: What is so hard about following the rules??
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
It's not that following the rules are hard...in theory. It's the fact that we've been doing it for months, effectively killing our business, living off of dwindling savings, dealing with kids who are either academically stressed or not stimulated at all (I've got both), and who are socially suffering and also anxious, paying tuition while also trying to buy all sorts of things to entertain said kids, while trying to work from home and cook and clean and keep home.

For a virus that has a 99.85% survival rate for most of the population.

For a virus that somehow won't affect you or spread if you're out for the right reasons.

Forgive me for not buying it.

So it's not that it's so hard to keep the rules. It's that I think the rules are politically driven and wrong.

(As an aside my 6 year old has a heart condition that may soon require surgery and her cardiologist is still totally fine with her going to school/camp, unmasked).

But we weren't wearing masks in lockdown, not at the beginning. SD didn't start right away either. So we can go shopping, a LOT can be open safely. Let's just wear masks and SD and use sanitizer/hand wash.

Edited to add snipped bracket next to "quote".

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:32 pm

I dunno but from the numbers I've seen, the worldwide death rate for covid-19 is about 4.5%. In the US it's 4% and New York 7%. that's hardly 99.85% survival rate.

Do you realize that over 500,000 people worldwide died so far from this ? it's pretty scary.

(not saying that we shouldnt resume normal life -- I'm just responding that one line in your post.)

itsmeima

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:44 pm
It's not that following the rules are hard...in theory. It's the fact that we've been doing it for months, effectively killing our business, living off of dwindling savings, dealing with kids who are either academically stressed or not stimulated at all (I've got both), and who are socially suffering and also anxious, paying tuition while also trying to buy all sorts of things to entertain said kids, while trying to work from home and cook and clean and keep home.

For a virus that somehow won't affect you or spread if you're out for the right reasons.

So it's not that it's so hard to keep the rules. It's that I think the rules are politically driven and wrong.

(As an aside my 6 year old has a heart condition that may soon require surgery and her cardiologist is still totally fine with her going to school/camp, unmasked).

People who have lost loved ones are reading this!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:35 pm
I'm an American in Australia in a location where there are zero cases of community spread, and I feel bad for what's happening back home. There's a lot that Australia was able to do that would never fly in the US that has helped to keep the cases down so far. Only Australian citizens or permanent residents can enter the country. Australians are generally not permitted to leave the country without an exemption - bc they would have to be allowed back in and this would put everyone at risk. We have a gov app on our phone (voluntary) that will tell us if we've been in contact with someone who has COVID. I can't imagine Americans being okay with most of that.

We recently saw an increase in the state of Victoria due to local mismanagement, and other states immediately shut their borders, and Victoria went back into lockdown. Meanwhile, where I live, after a while of restrictions, there's now almost no restrictions other than border restrictions on going in and out.

None of this would fly in the US. People refusing to cooperate yelling freedom freedom freedom while more and more people get sick, die, businesses can't reopen like usual, schools can't reopen like usual. Is that freedom? Freedom to do what? To yell about freedom while lives and economies are devastated? I feel for the people who've followed all the rules for months and are being told they need to continue because US leaders weren't cohesive and despite their doing everything right, the virus continues to spread because of other selfish people.

I'm under no illusions that where I live is immune or that we're all set from here on. I expect us to have to potentially shut down again for a period of time if someone carries the virus back in and doesn't follow quarantine rules. At least for now we have a government that will penalize people who don't cooperate and don't have leaders trying to minimize the risk of COVID. I'm sorry for my family living in the chaos of the US.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:59 pm
itsmeima wrote:
People who have lost loved ones are reading this!

I lost my father and I agree with amother violet.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 2:44 am

I know of people in their 20's who have a heart condition now because of corona. Some even have gotten brain damage or lung damage. In addition to people who were in their teens or twenties who only had obesity or high blood pressure died from COVID.

I don't know who your doctor is - but that scares me. I really hope your little girl doesn't get sick. From everyone doctor, researcher - I've spoken to she is high risk for getting very ill or dying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics