Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you feel about grammar?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Do you appreciate grammar?
Yes! Sentences need structure!  
 84%  [ 110 ]
No! It's not necessary and should be eradicated!  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm neutral. If grammar doesn't bother me, I won't bother it...  
 15%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 130

pause

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:18 pm
youngishbear wrote:
True. As language evolves, we get new words, new phrases, new usages, and new rules. There are lots of great examples of Rules that became recommendations or were tossed out altogether.

* There is a rule to never begin sentences with a coordinating conjunction. And yet it has become acceptable.

* People have no problem to boldly split infinitives. We can blame Star Trek, but the refusal to cooperate with this one probably predates the show.

* Punctuation is considered rude in txtspk

I still love the rules and get annoyed when they're broken for no reason other than laziness.

I love your posts!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:22 pm
Surplus wrote:
We are talking about one very specific comma here. It’s as extra as a speck of dust. Was this a metaphor too?

How can you compare commas to specks of dust?

I find it funny that some people insist on overworking commas beyond what they're capable of achieving in a sentence, while others consider them almost useless.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:23 pm
Some of you grammar nerds might appreciate this:
https://plainlanguage.gov/reso.....good/

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:24 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I've learned to adapt to different media, and different audiences/recipients.

I am far less pedantic in casual conversation than written communication. It's probably due to my ADHD brain which can switch directions mid-sentence and end up in some grammatical jungle.

I don't use abbreviations in texts, but I do enjoy texting in incomplete sentences, in a series of rapid-fire short texts that help me make my point quicker, with fewer annoying cross-texts.

But let one publisher overlook a comma splice, and I could throw the magazine or book across the room in disgust.

Metaphorically speaking.

I'm the exact opposite - I abr, but my sentences need 2 feel structured in a txt. It just feels wrong sending it off w/o those commas...

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:25 pm
pause wrote:

I love this! I had a college professor who gave this as our instructions before we wrote an essay! Laugh

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:25 pm
youngishbear wrote:
How can you compare commas to specks of dust?

I find it funny that some people insist on overworking commas beyond what they're capable of achieving in a sentence, while others consider them almost useless.

Again I was referring to the Oxford one. Otherwise, I’m, all, for, commas!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:26 pm
pause wrote:

LOL

I plagiarized this idea in one of my posts.

I vote to ration exclamation points.

Who's with me?

pause

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:27 pm
youngishbear wrote:
LOL

I plagiarized this idea in one of my posts.

I vote to ration exclamation points.

Who's with me?

Me!!!

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:27 pm
This is a Weird Al song, so you know it's going to be great. It's call Word Crimes Smile

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:28 pm
mamma llama wrote:
I'm the exact opposite - I abr, but my sentences need 2 feel structured in a txt. It just feels wrong sending it off w/o those commas...

So

I totally hear you

But I find

That my texts

Especially on Whatsapp

Fly more easily

When I do this

And then the recipient

Usually waits for the rest of my thought

Before replying

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:30 pm
pause wrote:
Me!!!

WARNING: You have squandered your annual allotted supply.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:32 pm
mamma llama wrote:
This is a Weird Al song, so you know it's going to be great. It's call Word Crimes Smile

I can listen to such for hours. Nerd Nerd Nerd Nerd

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:33 pm
mamma llama wrote:

Another rule change I appreciate is the singularization of the pronoun their.

His or her is clunky. One is pretentious. Their is politically correct, but at least it is (now) also grammatically correct.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:44 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Another rule change I appreciate is the singularization of the pronoun their.

His or her is clunky. One is pretentious. Their is politically correct, but at least it is (now) also grammatically correct.

Agreed. Just waiting for "themself" to follow suit.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:44 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/def.....oto/1

From Twitter:

RJ @RedArmband

COMMAS ARE IMPORTANT
PEOPLE

Reply from Shadio' @onlyshadiomar

COMMAS AREN'T PEOPLE.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:01 am
I have seen pronouns they/their/them used noncolloquially as singular only when applied to individuals of "nonbinary" gender. I find this usage jarring; IMO it would be more appropriately applied to an individual with multiple personalities, as in "The Three Faces of Eve."

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:18 am
Many of us write the way we talk, especially in informal writing such as emails. A friend of mine I'll call Norma sends emails that are 90% incomprehensible because she doesn't punctuate AT ALL. Her emails are works of stream-of-consciousness, which is how she talks, too--long spates of nervous rapid-fire words with nary a pause. Occasionally she'll use an ellipsis. Maybe she thinks the three dots of an ellipsis make up for the lack of periods elsewhere.

Even her sister, who is as laid-back as Norma is nervous and in no way a stickler for grammar, has no patience for her emails and has been heard to mutter explosively "USE PUNCTUATION!"

pause

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:33 am
zaq wrote:
I have seen pronouns they/their/them used noncolloquially as singular only when applied to individuals of "nonbinary" gender. I find this usage jarring; IMO it would be more appropriately applied to an individual with multiple personalities, as in "The Three Faces of Eve."

I also have a hard time with they/them/their in the singular. I'm glad for the people who need it, so to say, but I can't get past it for regular usage.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:18 am
pause wrote:
I also have a hard time with they/them/their in the singular. I'm glad for the people who need it, so to say, but I can't get past it for regular usage.

I hated it at first, because when I grew up it was pounded into my head that they/them/their was ONLY allowed for plural usage. Then I found out that during the Victorian times, it was considered proper to refer to women as "they/them", because it was rude to refer to a female's gender. Surprised

It's actually very useful when dealing with a subject who's gender is unknown. If someone is a doctor, or referred to as a child, but not whether they are male or female, you always have a fallback pronoun to fill in the gap.

My love for the Oxford comma is only surpassed by my love of diagramming sentences. English was always my favorite subject, while math is still nearly impossible for me.

I also developed love of literature very early in life. Dante, Shakespeare, Bronte, Wharton were regular reading starting in 6th grade, and by 8th grade I had no problem with classic Victorian writing. (Oscar Wilde was so naughty and scandalous!)

On the other hand, my Hebrew is at about kindergarten level, at best. For Hebrew speakers who are looking for a gender neutral pronoun, there's this: https://www.nonbinaryhebrew.co.....RYu1o
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics