Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you feel about grammar?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you appreciate grammar?
Yes! Sentences need structure!  
 84%  [ 110 ]
No! It's not necessary and should be eradicated!  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm neutral. If grammar doesn't bother me, I won't bother it...  
 15%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 130

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 2:58 am
I have a strange affinity for grammar, a passion for commas in particular. I feel like commas just add that "je ne sais quoi" to a sentence. (Yes, grammar was one of my favorite subjects in grade school...! Nerd )

I'm curious how many of you like grammar too. If you do, what is your favorite part?

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:03 am
mamma llama wrote:
I have a strange affinity for grammar, a passion for commas in particular. I feel like commas just add that "je ne sais quoi" to a sentence. (Yes, grammar was one of my favorite subjects in grade school...! Nerd )

I'm curious how many of you like grammar too. If you do, what is your favorite part?

I appreciate it, however my own grammar ain’t perfect.
I really enjoyed it in school!
I enjoyed figuring out which was the noun, adjective, verb, helping verb etc. especially the tricky ones!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:47 am
I love a well written sentence. Misused grammar gives me chills and confuses me.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:51 am
I think it's important to speak and write properly. I'm particularly appalled by people who give shiurim in broken English. You wouldn't wrap a Sefer Torah in rags, so why would you transmit Torah so poorly?

#Happymom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:52 am
I love apostropes!! Love them!
Can spot a mistake a mile away☺

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:58 am
I didn't love grammar in school, neither am I great at it. But I can't handle run-on sentences. When I see I have too long sentences, I check over a few times to see if I need to insert commas and if it actually makes sense. Lol

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 4:19 am
#Happymom wrote:
I love apostropes!! Love them!
Can spot a mistake a mile away☺

Don't you mean "apostrophes"? Tongue Out

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 4:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Don't you mean "apostrophes"? Tongue Out

Thats spelling, not grammar Wink

Yeah, I always enjoyed grammar.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 4:47 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

I know. I'm a nerd about both. Nerd

"I've" past tense to "enjoyed".

Or "I" present tense to "enjoy".

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 4:51 am
Clear communication is key. If that means the occasional “ungrammatical” sentence fragment or ending a sentence with a preposition because it “sounds right”, I’m okay with it. If your lack of “proper” grammar *enhances* the clarity of your writing, zei gezunt!

But it’s important to use correct spelling and enough grammar rules that people don’t have to break their brains parsing your sentences. Conversational English is okay in written form, but if I couldn’t understand what you were saying in person either because your thoughts are jumbled and messy, I won’t bother reading your txt-speak wall of text.

I’m a grammar nerd myself (Strunk & White and “Eats Shoots and Leaves” have places of honor next to my computer desk) but I’ve been leaning away from total prescriptivism more and more lately. Language evolves, and if internet culture influences our ability to “can”, then LOL, viva la evolucion!

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 5:03 am
On one hand, I don't know any English grammar rules. Never payed attention in that class.
On the other, I know instinctively if something is wrong with the sentence.
But I can write/speak sometimes in a way that might be "off"- when you can tell I'm sort of translating.
In Hebrew I'm terrible with zachar/nekeiva but all the rest I'm perfect.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 5:09 am
I’m a fan Wink

My favorite is the subjunctive. If I see it used incorrectly, I have to correct it out loud before I continue reading.

lovelymother

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 5:31 am

Last edited by lovelymother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:43 am
mamma llama wrote:

Grandma is a very nice lady thank you.

My favorite part is when she buys me candy. LOL

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Grandma is a very nice lady thank you.

My favorite part is when she buys me candy. LOL

Especially synonym buns!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:02 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I think it's important to speak and write properly. I'm particularly appalled by people who give shiurim in broken English. You wouldn't wrap a Sefer Torah in rags, so why would you transmit Torah so poorly?

Probably because English is their second language.
If you're referring to written shiruim, then I agree they should be reviewed by an editor.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:19 am
I admit to being more casual in my writing here on these message boards than in formal writing, but I cannot tolerate entire paragraphs written in textspeak.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Probably because English is their second language.
If you're referring to written shiruim, then I agree they should be reviewed by an editor.

I wish. These are native English speakers who think it sounds less frum to speak properly.

corolla

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:47 am
I think proper grammar is an indicator of...and now I can't think of the word. Basically, when you take the time to edit what you say or write, it shows that you put thought into it, and don't just let words roll off your tongue.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

You must mean that's Wink

I don't usually comment on errors like that, especially since my autocorrect developed an aversion to apostrophes. But someone did say something about apostrophes in this thread, and this is a thread about grammar...
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics