Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
I haven’t fully gotten back my taste and smell

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:15 am
I had a mild case of covid-19 a week after pesach and recovered after a week. I tested negative For Covid and positive for antibodies back in April. I still haven’t fully recover my taste and smell. Some foods have a little bit of an aftertaste and some smells are completely different than what I’ve been used to. Detergent, dish soap, and cleaning product I used to love now smell terrible to me. I have many other examples and I am concerned I’ll never get back to my old self.

I haven’t had any Covid like symptoms after I recovered and have been extremely cautious with mask and social distancing. I barely go out and cancelled my summer plans. Because I’ve been very bothered by my situation and because I haven’t fully recover my smell and taste, I decided to get tested twice again and both times came out negative.

I’m trying to make sense of all of this and I feel really hopeless. I am wondering if there is anyone in my situation who could share in what ways their smell and taste are changed.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:32 am
I feel your pain. I tested positive for the virus still before pesach. Then tested neg for the virus and positive on antibodies. I slowly got my taste n smell back.. About 4 weeks ago I started smelling and tasting a weird smell for both fresh and sauteed onion and garlic. Hard boiled eggs and some certain foods. I cant eat any of these foods cuz its a bad smell. And im sorry for tmi but my kids diapers have same smell.. Its super annoying. Dunno what to do about it. Is zinc supposed to help the situation?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 2:40 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I feel your pain. I tested positive for the virus still before pesach. Then tested neg for the virus and positive on antibodies. I slowly got my taste n smell back.. About 4 weeks ago I started smelling and tasting a weird smell for both fresh and sauteed onion and garlic. Hard boiled eggs and some certain foods. I cant eat any of these foods cuz its a bad smell. And im sorry for tmi but my kids diapers have same smell.. Its super annoying. Dunno what to do about it. Is zinc supposed to help the situation?

Same situation!!! Can’t stand the smell of onions and garlic
Hmmm wonder if it means anything

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:13 am
Hi I had Corona two weeks before Pesach. It took about two months for my taste and smell to come back but every day is different. Some days things taste really horrible. My shampoo smells awfull and a lot of things just have the same type of awfull smell

Girl@Heart

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:25 am
I’ve read that the loss or distorted sense of smell/taste is the ‘aftermath’ of the virus’s affects on your nervous system. It often happens after you’ve already had the virus, so it can be a sign that you’ve HAD the virus not that you HAVE it. And it is not know for sure wether or not this a temporary or permanent thing.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:37 am
I have the same thing. I still don't have a sense of smell. Sorry to get all spiritual but I can't help but think of it as a sign Moshiach is coming. It says Moshiach will have a sense of smell... Now I get what that means. Lol.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:13 am
Me too, but only latley have had the Virus

Taste is much better, but the smell only just very faintly and when it's a strong smell

I bought here for a few pennies LEVONA, thats hard sap from a Levona tree, and has been said that it helps when chewed a few times a day

Taste isnt the best but I think it's really helping

This was in the Hamodia and other papers here in Israel

Don't know what its called in english

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:19 am
It's called parosmia and it's a side effect after covid.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....98789

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:25 am
I had coronavirus three weeks before pesach. I lost my taste and smell. I got it back but sometimes when I eat chocolate or cheese muffin etc I feel like I don’t taste it fully like I used to be.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:41 am
My 13 year old son had this. He actually never lost his taste of smell and was barely sick at all. He had a low grade fever for about 3 hours in mid march right after they closed schools (when there were no covid tests available unless you were REALLY sick and they didn't understand about asymptomatic or barely symptomatic infection) . I have antibodies but didn't bother testing him since he wasn't sick.

He suddenly developed this side affect in June, 2 months AFTER I assume he had it. No corona so we assumed it was a sinus infection or allergies and he was put on meds for both. It's been fading but still almost 2 months after it started certain things still taste "off" to him

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:34 am
Same, OP. I had the virus in late March, recovered my sense of smell mostly, but some things smell/taste off. Like Salmon amother posted about her son, this developed a bit AFTER I was done with the virus.

*Eggs taste awful - hard-boiled, sunnyside, etc....(scrambled are slightly better for some reason but also a little off.) some foods with eggs have a slight aftertaste of that off taste.

*my toothpaste smells and tastes bad

*wine is awful. Like vinegar. All wines I've tried so far.

*I made a pastrami roast for Shabbos Nachamu. My DH and kids said it was delicious. I couldn't eat it.

*no raw onions. Like purple onion in a salad...tastes bad.

I wonder if there was some sort of lingering infection that caused this in me. Right after the virus, my DD's complained of having a bad smell in their noses, and they took antibiotics. B"H the bad smell went away and they never developed the issues I have now. Leaves me wondering if I should've done something.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:39 am
My dad had the virus 3 months ago and suddenly lost his sense of taste again somewhat now. We're not sure if he has the virus again, or if this is just a lingering symptom.

My heart goes out to the people on this thread who've lost their sense of taste or smell for so long. I lost mine for less than a week and I nearly cried from the frustration of just wanting to taste something normal again. It's the kind of thing you don't think of appreciating until it's gone. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 10:04 am
It’s been ages since my dd had a mild case of covid... yet she her sense of smell still hasnt returned and she is losing her appetite because of a strange smell when eating certain foods - such as fish and peppers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics