Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Starting salary- rebbe
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
full time is only 8-5 or 9-6 if you’re leaving at noon on Friday....

Typical office job full time is 9-5. Sure you can work more but some are also less. Typical is 9-5.
And most professional settings start out a few weeks vacation not 2-3 days. Where is that from ? Lol

My sister works for Macy’s corporate (she’s not frum ). She works 9-5 and gets 5 weeks vacation plus all legal holidays off. She is not very high level. My mother worked for Mattel she worked 36 hours a week and started at 3 weeks vacation which increased every year or two and also got legal holidays off. They both also got insurance and 401k and other benefits.

My husband owns a company with nonjewish employees exclusively (due to location ). If anyone works over 40 hours he’s expected to pay overtime.

9-7 type jobs (or more hours ) is peolle trying to move up high in certain industries and prove themselves. They are hoping to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year by the end of their career and that’s plus corporate rewards and stock options and retirement etc. you cannot expect the same from a rebbi who may make decent salary hourly but certainly is never making 150k plus benefits

First of all I wrote 2-3 weeks. Yes that's average for starting. Otherwise I agree with you completely.

When ppl come on saying rebbeim are sooo underpaid and they work so many hours and they're not treated with derech eretz.... I'm trying to explain that just as you say people who want to make 150k work many many more hours and 8:30-2:30 is def part time to them and they also get alot less vacation and especially starting they work on Chol hamoed etc cuz they don't have a month paid Vaca plus YT.

Starting salary for a rebbe 40k for no experience, no degree (and associated loans) fewer hours, YT off, frum environment is great!

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 4:04 pm
I'm actually a public school teacher and the curriculum and specific programs we use change frequently. I feel like I am starting from scratch every year in at least 1 subject area per year, sometimes more.
There used to be more consistency, so I don't doubt that's what it was like for your mom. But post common core and intense standardized testing pressures it's not really like that anymore. True, teachers do get a planning period each day. But most of it is taken up by "housekeeping" items such as making photocopies, checking student planners, filling out student data spreadsheets, etc. Very little lesson planning or grading actually gets done then. The vast majority of teachers I know either come very early, stay late, or take work home.
It's not a bell to bell job, either.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I'm actually a public school teacher and the curriculum and specific programs we use change frequently. I feel like I am starting from scratch every year in at least 1 subject area per year, sometimes more.
There used to be more consistency, so I don't doubt that's what it was like for your mom. But post common core and intense standardized testing pressures it's not really like that anymore. True, teachers do get a planning period each day. But most of it is taken up by "housekeeping" items such as making photocopies, checking student planners, filling out student data spreadsheets, etc. Very little lesson planning or grading actually gets done then. The vast majority of teachers I know either come very early, stay late, or take work home.

Wow! I'm exactly like you, and this is my experience. I spend hours every night and motzei shabbos/sunday preparing/grading. It is Not an 8 to 2 job because there is a lot of prep/responsibilities outside those hours.

A rebbe definitely needs to prepare outside school hrs because even if he teaches the same subjects, wouldnt he need to adapt it to his students?? Then again, every school demands different things, but in my school, they require tons of work after hours.

Some schools are not as strict about plans/lessons etc...so some ppl dont understand.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Most jobs are more like 9-7 at minimum and you get 2-3 weeks vaca that is spent on YT. You sound out of touch with what the rest of the world considers full time. Just saying.

Nope. Full time is 9-5. The difference is that full time is 12 Full months

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Nope. Full time is 9-5. The difference is that full time is 12 Full months

Actually, full time at my company is 40 hours for full time benefits, you need to clock out for lunch, and you are federally required to take a lunch.

Jobs are year round. We work federal holidays, but get time and a half, if you are schedule to work those days and are a non-except employee. Furthermore, if you work overtime you do get paid, but you need prior permission and it reflects poorly on your ability to get your work done.
If you are exempt, you don't get paid overtime and you are welcome to volunteer to stay extra (which you sometimes need to do to get everything done and appear as a team player) you do not get time and a half for legal holidays, but aren't forced to work those either. You start with 20 days PTO for the year, and that includes legal holidays.

My parents were teachers. They always said how hard it was. They said do anything but. Now I compare and they see what I do and they say that they didn't realize how good they had it, even working 3 jobs.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 6:06 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

Yes, exactly this.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 28 2020, 7:22 pm
As a teacher for 10+ years, I put in average one hour of time for every hour in the classroom which is why teaching half a day is enough for most people who have families. Between setting up the classroom, making copies, buying supplies, grading , parent contact, lesson planning, and meetings there is always a long to do list. The pay is not just for the hour of teaching, it’s assumed you will be putting in a lot more time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
First of all I wrote 2-3 weeks. Yes that's average for starting. Otherwise I agree with you completely.

When ppl come on saying rebbeim are sooo underpaid and they work so many hours and they're not treated with derech eretz.... I'm trying to explain that just as you say people who want to make 150k work many many more hours and 8:30-2:30 is def part time to them and they also get alot less vacation and especially starting they work on Chol hamoed etc cuz they don't have a month paid Vaca plus YT.

Starting salary for a rebbe 40k for no experience, no degree (and associated loans) fewer hours, YT off, frum environment is great!

what's your job? Maybe you should convince your husband to become a rebbi? Wink
Op's question was "what's a rebbi starting salary?" I'm just curious why you feel the need to explain all of the above?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 12:56 am
In Monsey in a chasidish cheder my husbands salary is
[after 12 years of teaching]
capped at......$40,000 for the year
9-4 daily including Sunday excluding Friday.
12 month year
2 weeks paid vacation
1 week paid sick leave
Mad
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics