Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
S/o If you have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for 5 y
Previous  1  2

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:43 am
I have never been skinny, but I have maintained a reasonable weight for a decent amount of time. It’s not hopeless.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:21 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I have never been skinny, but I have maintained a reasonable weight for a decent amount of time. It’s not hopeless.

You maintained a significant weightloss for 5 yrs?
Please share how.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
How can I find more info about the TLC program?

call- 845-414-0131, there you could hear more info on the program and a list of live meetings.
Hatzlacha!!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:35 am
My Husband has.. I didn't know him like that but he as a young teen he was 60+ lb overweight, he lost it and has maintained a healthy weight for the past 15 years.
The main way was by completely changing his eating habits that he grew up with and exercise. (He doesn't ever much now but has an active job and in general we have an active lifestyle)

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:44 am
Im convinced that having babies impacts this for many frum woman. It can take over a year to lose significant weight and then many women are pregnant again.
I noticed that most significant weight loss (with great maintenance) happens either before having babies or after having babies.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:48 am
lamplighter wrote:
You maintained a significant weightloss for 5 yrs?
Please share how.

Healthy eating
Weekly weigh ins and going on a diet whenever the scale starts going up
Exercise

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:51 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I have lost significant amounts of weight only to gain it all back each time.
I lost 70 pounds. Had a baby gained it all back plus.
I lost 60 pounds. Had a major life crisis and gained it all back.
I lost 40 pounds. Couldn't keep up my highly restrictive diet and gained it all back.

I am only 27.

Personally, I cannot think of anyone I know who was heavy and lost a lot of weight and really kept it off long term.

I have resigned myself that this is my big mental health nisayon in life. People struggle with anxiety, depression, perfectionism.... I struggle with my weight, eating and food. Intuitive eating principles helps me maintain my sanity.
That’s me pretty much, can say almost the same plus. I’m older ahd have gone up and down 70lb 8 times.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Im convinced that having babies impacts this for many frum woman. It can take over a year to lose significant weight and then many women are pregnant again.
I noticed that most significant weight loss (with great maintenance) happens either before having babies or after having babies.

This. I lost 50 lb, had a baby, worked really hard to take the weight back off. Had another baby 2 years later. Still struggling to get back down since then.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:31 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I am a walking statistic. The only difference is that my regaining has almost always been connected to having a baby.
I wonder if I could maintain weightloss once I finished having kids.
Otherwise its been losing 50 lbs, getting pregnant and gaining it all back plus by a few months postpartum and doing it again and again, watching my set point rise.
Each time it is more depressing than the next.
Signed,
mom to a 6 month old baby and 50 lbs to lose (to be normal weight forget skinny)

This is exactly me. Makes me wonder if I would have been able to maintain my weight loss if I had not gotten pregnant. But each pregnancy saw me regaining all the weight plus so much more. Exept my baby is now over a year and I am at least 65 lbs away from being a normal weight.
I don't lose weight while nursing.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:42 pm
What a smart question OP.
Thank you for this thread so much.

And I agree that must be the key, losing very slow and maintaining carefully for years to reset your set point. Which is impossible to do while yo-yo-ing pregnancy.

momomany

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:57 pm
As I posted before, I have maintained my weight loss for 17 years on the greysheet and had 2 babies during that time. I just do my program the same straight through the pregnancies and had no yoyo ing

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:05 pm
momomany wrote:
As I posted before, I have maintained my weight loss for 17 years on the greysheet and had 2 babies during that time. I just do my program the same straight through the pregnancies and had no yoyo ing

So looks like OA, greysheet and TLC (all basically a version of OA I believe) is the diet that has the best track record for having ppl maintain.
Can I ask a few questions?
Do you go to weekly meetings?
What is the food plan?

I did try 90 day (I think it was called) years ago. It was offi3xially no foour, no sugar. I had to weigh and measure every morsel that went into my mouth and commit it to a sponsor. Is that what you do as well? How is that sustainable for the long run? It means you can never eat at a simcha or with friends...

momomany

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:31 pm
yes I weigh and measure etc. This lifestyle is easier to sustain than my previous life of obesity. it is habit now and not difficult

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:35 pm
momomany wrote:
yes I weigh and measure etc. This lifestyle is easier to sustain than my previous life of obesity. it is habit now and not difficult

Do you also commit your food to a sponsor every day? Do you listen to several meetings a week?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:52 pm
I did weight loss surgery 11 years ago. I lost 90 lbs and kept it off.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 8:57 pm
I am also noticing that OA type program is where ppl are most successful. The issue I have with it is that the ppl I know who follow these plans really changed as ppl. It takes such a strong level of commitment that it becomes who they are. They never ever chill about it and I find it really affects them socially. I get the poster that mentioned that she chooses to live that way as opposed to her previous obesity. But what about ppl who are not severely obese but have 30-40 lb to lose and really want to look better. Not taking obese or health issues related to weight into account.... is there really no other way??

momomany

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you also commit your food to a sponsor every day? Do you listen to several meetings a week?

I commit my food and attend meetings as recommended by my sponsor.
Obesity made my life hellish . I will do anything to maintain the life I have now. I am healthy, energetic and comfortable in my normal size body. I can shop in regular stores and have gone back to school and started a new career. My mind is clear. It us easy to maintain my program because I appreciate the life it gives me and will do anything to keep it and never go back to the person I was

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ive seen you post about your weight loss before. Do you recommend your eating plan for everyone or is it for a specofic profile?
Is there a name to this plan?

After trying literally everything including oa for ten years, I had a medical crisis and accidentally fixed my crazy eating.

I’m not going to be specific because I believe that nutrition is very individual but I eat very low carb ( which stopped the cravings plus I don’t walk around hungry) and I’d say my overall style is nsng.

I 100% admit tgat even though I had very littLe success in oa ( now know because it was too much carb for me, that experience taught me that when I found something that worked, not to mess up, ever. I think the steps are awesome and that if I hadn’t sat in all those meetings wishing that I could keep myself from losing it, I would not have learned to treasure what worked for me. Unfortunately, when I failed at oa, I also gave up hope be s as use I was told that it was the last option out there and if I failed I’d be nowhere.

A sponsor hurt me more than anyone else in my whole life ever did. Just because someone is thin, doesn’t mean they are recovered.

Anyways, I don’t weigh and measure ( once in a while to spot check) and I’m very careful about what goes in my mouth 100% of the time. I don’t take Shabbat or holidays or Simchas off. I already had mine.

Much like the others here, my life this way is very much more preferable than being five one and 315 pounds. My medical issues have resolved and I’m happy for what feels like the first time in my life.

There are different ways to skin a cat. I do what works for me, the basic part of what I do is called NSNG. I have a PDF that explains it, if you want to pm me your email addres.? Just real food. Nothing to buy.

I do really have to acknowledge that my oa years, as frustrating as they were, and as painful as the sponsor experience was, taught me so much. I just need more less, lol. I am not good with potatoes or corn or sweeteners. They create insanity in me vis a vis blood sugar/insulin reactions. Fighting that is like trying to pray your period away. I just could not fight it. Even spending twenty hours a day on my program.

When I started this, though, my miracle did happen, and thankfully, I recognized it. So even though oa is not a part of my life daily today or for the past four years, it is a part of my history.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 11:53 pm
I would also have to be very low carb to maintain my weight, otherwise I get cravings. Even fruit or excessive vegetables are a problem for me. I do have a day once in a while where I eat a little extra like extra fruit, veggies, nuts etc. but I know I cannot eat what everyone else is eating on Yom Tov, not even for one meal. It gets me completely off track, because sugar is addictive. I don’t think everyone would experience this to the same degree, but it’s true for me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise