Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do bridesmaids march down by frum Jewish weddings?
Previous  1  2

Do bridesmaids march down by frum Jewish weddings?
Yes, of course!  
 10%  [ 8 ]
No, so not...  
 89%  [ 70 ]
Other (I'll explain in a post.)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 78

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:15 am
I've never seen it except at one wedding where the bride and groom were BT MO so I assumed they didn't know what's the norm.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I've never seen it except at one wedding where the bride and groom were BT MO so I assumed they didn't know what's the norm.

There is no "norm"!
I know hundreds of non BTs who had bridesmaids and groomsmen.
This is going to become a repeat of the wedding cake thread 🙄
It may not be done in some circles, but OP did not specify any particular group she affiliates with.
Plenty of frum weddings have bridesmaids.
There is nothing "non frum" about it

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:28 am
essie14 wrote:
There is no "norm"!
It may not be done in some circles, but OP did not specify any particular group she affiliates with.

I'm sorry if it came out that way! I'm MO myself but had never seen it before this wedding in NJ that I went to!

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:30 am
essie14 wrote:
There is no "norm"!

To me the word "frum" has yeshivish/chareidi connotations because it's yiddish. That may be why when reading this word in the OP, amother Goldenrod assumed that's what OP meant.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 12:12 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
To me the word "frum" has yeshivish/chareidi connotations because it's yiddish. That may be why when reading this word in the OP, amother Goldenrod assumed that's what OP meant.

Everyone on this site is frum, it's one of the rules to be here.
Not everyone is chareidi or yeshivish.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 12:22 pm
essie14 wrote:
Everyone on this site is frum, it's one of the rules to be here.
Not everyone is chareidi or yeshivish.

Yes I undestand. I'm explaining why the word "frum" as opposed to the word "religious" or "Orthodox" might bring up those connotations to amother Goldenrod.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:57 pm
"I'm so honored and flattered! I'd love to be your bridesmaid. But I'm going to confess, I've never been a bridesmaid before. Can you give me an idea what you'll expect me to do before the wedding, and on the wedding day."

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
"I'm so honored and flattered! I'd love to be your bridesmaid. But I'm going to confess, I've never been a bridesmaid before. Can you give me an idea what you'll expect me to do before the wedding, and on the wedding day."

Perfect!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:21 pm
I grew up yeshivish, made MO friends and was a bridesmaid a couple of times at their weddings. I personally never walked down the aisle, though I know some do have bridesmaids do that. At the weddings I was basically just wearing a color-coordinated gown (fortunately I never had to buy an actually matching dress), being part of a few extra photos, showing up early to help with errands and bustling the gown, and coordinating "friend shtick." The bridesmaids also coordinated the shower and, in some cases, a sheva brachos.

It was very similar to "wearing long" at a yeshivish wedding, frankly, with the exception of the more "official status" at the wedding (which depended- at one wedding we stood behind the kallah at the badeken, at one wedding we had bouquets, at one wedding we got individual as well as group portraits taken because we were considered part of the wedding party). In my experience walking down the aisle is relatively uncommon but also definitely not unheard of. Your daughter's friend who is getting married really should have told her the expectations behind the role when she asked, not just because of this kind of thing but also because it can imply a certain investment of time and money in surrounding events like the shower as well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children