Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Noise makes me crazy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:00 am
I can’t handle noise. When my kids are up in the morning, I’m waiting for the minute they leave to school. When they’re home in the afternoon, I’m counting down the time until they go to sleep. I love them, and when they’re all quiet, I am so calm and a good mother. It’s when they make noise, even just playing, I can’t concentrate and I lose focus and my cool. I can’t cook with them, eat with them, sit and play with them when it’s noisy. I hate it and I wish I could be a more present parent, appreciating this time. I want to be able to spend more time happily with them! Is there something I can do? Do I have a sensory disorder? It’s like my brain can’t handle it and just shuts off. My girls are quieter than my boys but any small sound grates on my nerves

hodeez

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:04 am
You might have a disorder...noise shouldn't be so debilitating

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t handle noise. When my kids are up in the morning, I’m waiting for the minute they leave to school. When they’re home in the afternoon, I’m counting down the time until they go to sleep. I love them, and when they’re all quiet, I am so calm and a good mother. It’s when they make noise, even just playing, I can’t concentrate and I lose focus and my cool. I can’t cook with them, eat with them, sit and play with them when it’s noisy. I hate it and I wish I could be a more present parent, appreciating this time. I want to be able to spend more time happily with them! Is there something I can do? Do I have a sensory disorder? It’s like my brain can’t handle it and just shuts off. My girls are quieter than my boys but any small sound grates on my nerves

I relate. Maybe not as extreme as you but very much can’t handle kids’ noise and we are having a LOT of it this season. I am pretty sensory plus an introvert.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:47 am
I have the same exact issue. I lose it with them all the time because the noise (and often arguing) puts me over the edge.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:48 am
My friend walks around the house with earplugs for this reason. It's the only way she can be a mom for her young crew. It works fairly well, because it softens the noise for her. OP, would you consider trying this?

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 7:09 am
I find the more tired I am the worse the noise is for me to tolerate , like after a baby it's way harder.

Can you go to your bedroom, or another quiet room when it gets too much for you?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:02 am
I understand you. Can you teach your children to be quite?
My children know I don't allow noise certain times and if they need to make noise then they can go outside or in a different room.
Some of my children appreciate the quite too and ask me if we can turn on the quiet timer so their siblings will not make noise.
BH I can say my house is as noise free as possible for so many little children and even when they do make noise it's not on tone 100.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:02 pm
Hyperacusis

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’m not as extreme as you, but I can’t stand when my kids make loud noises….

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:20 pm
jetblack- how? I have a child who just loves making noise especially right before bed... She just will randomly start clapping or banging. It drives me ( and one of my other children) nuts. She's already a preteen and doesn't appreciate having to go elsewhere to make noise. never has. we also live in a ranch and can hear kids in other rooms and when she goes to chill. just my luck it's on a swing that keeps squeeking. ugh!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:22 pm
I wear earplugs or noise canceling headphones whenever I can. It transforms me into a calmer person.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't have an answer for you, but just want to chime in that I am the same way.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:39 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
jetblack- how? I have a child who just loves making noise especially right before bed... She just will randomly start clapping or banging. It drives me ( and one of my other children) nuts. She's already a preteen and doesn't appreciate having to go elsewhere to make noise. never has. we also live in a ranch and can hear kids in other rooms and when she goes to chill. just my luck it's on a swing that keeps squeeking. ugh!

I talk to them about being quiet since they are infants. Do timers when they are toddlers and the atmosphere is just quite. I think I need to let more noise though so I've been working on that.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 7:06 pm
Read about misophonia.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 7:48 pm
With DD, I never told her to be quiet. I told her "That is an outside noise", (or a noisy toy is an outside toy.)

That way she had a choice. If she felt like being really noisy, she would take her toys and go outside. If she didn't feel like going outside, then she would play quietly. She felt in control, and it stopped a lot of arguments before they could even start.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:06 am
I can so relate. I'm the op of the noisy dh thread. So even once kids are out or asleep the noise goes on. And they all love music, but different music, so often every room has another song blaring. Sometimes it makes me want to explode out of myself, other times I just withdraw into myself. I also cant focus and do anything with noise around me. And my kids, and dh, every one of them are so noisy! They all have such loud talking voices! Lol I sound nuts.

These earplugs and noise cancelling headphones, can I hear noise beyond it? It would make me nervous not to be able to hear anything because I have a baby, and also in case of emergency?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics