Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Fear of Bugs

cdawnr

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 1:47 pm
My son has a horrible issue with bugs. He doesn't even want toplay outside if he sees a fly. Yesterday, on our car trip home from first days, a mosquito got into the van and the boy let out a shriek of horror...really like he was in horrible pain from fear of this bug!

Anyone have any suggestions!

justanothermother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:22 am
My son had a huge fear of bugs. We got a catalog of Natural Science toys for children. We first got a butterfly habitat and raised butterflys, then an ant farm, then ladybugs. By seeing insects up close but contained he was able to grow accustomed to them without fear.

He is not totally comfortable with bugs yet, but he doesn't run away shrieking at the top of his lungs either. I can usually distract him by talking about some interesting bug facts we learned together.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:23 am
http://www.insectlore.com/

Clarissa

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:30 am
My son is the same way. When he's eating, he acts as if a little fly buzzing around is something out of a horror movie.

I had a huge bug phobia when I was a kid. I remember being really afraid of ants. Then my parents bought me a book about ants, all about how productive and industrious they are, and it changed the way I viewed them. Sort of. Maybe I should get my son a book about bugs.

Right now we have this water bug the size of a Cadillac hiding out in the back of our apartment. We all live in fear that he'll come out and chew off our hands as we sleep. I'm considering moving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers