Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Psa bugs in mushrooms

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:46 pm
I saw a crawling bug in a pkg of white stuffed mushrooms. I remember a while back on imamother someone mentioned that there are no bugs in mushrooms.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:52 pm
Stuffed mushrooms? I usually just buy button mushrooms. What are your stuffed with?

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:59 pm
I once bought a pack of mushrooms that was so infested, I threw out the whole pack.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:11 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Stuffed mushrooms? I usually just buy button mushrooms. What are your stuffed with?

I believe that's what the package said

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:23 pm
I'm always scrubbing mushrooms. They come so filthy with soil on it!!

isrmss91

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 2:09 am
therre was a thread on this topic. Mushrooms are prone to worms. I found many times, in Portobello they are very prone. Found in Shitake mushrooms as well. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....16385

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:34 am
octopus wrote:
I'm always scrubbing mushrooms. They come so filthy with soil on it!!

Sweetheart, that ain't soil TMI

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:35 am
isrmss91 wrote:
therre was a thread on this topic. Mushrooms are prone to worms. I found many times, in Portobello they are very prone. Found in Shitake mushrooms as well. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....16385

I buy button mushrooms with closed caps only. Apparently mushrooms that are open, like portobello, are a big issue. Probably depends on where you live

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 1:16 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Sweetheart, that ain't soil TMI

Sure it's soil.
FYI, you can take the peel off the mushroom and it's white and clean underneath.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 1:38 pm
I peel it with a knife. it's easy and fun. then I wash it under stream of water. I've found fly type of bugs, so gross, so then it throw it out.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Sure it's soil.
FYI, you can take the peel off the mushroom and it's white and clean underneath.

If it were soil, mushrooms would be ha'adama Smile

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:31 pm
If it were soil, mushrooms would be ha'adama Smile

You know mushrooms grow from the ground right? We still say shehakol on them, but where do you think they come from😂

It absolutely is soil

And OP, I’ve had the same thing, a bug literally crawled out of a mushroom in a package of whites baby Bella mushrooms
I couldn’t look at them for half a year after that

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:39 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
You know mushrooms grow from the ground right? We still say shehakol on them, but where do you think they come from😂

It absolutely is soil

And OP, I’ve had the same thing, a bug literally crawled out of a mushroom in a package of whites baby Bella mushrooms
I couldn’t look at them for half a year after that

Um if you don't know, I will not enlighten you Very Happy

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:44 pm

I just googled and all I have to say is, I used to love mushrooms 🥲.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:11 pm
you have to look at everything hyou eat. inclding a box of cereal and a bag of potato chips. bugs scan be in anything - even vegetables and sprouts grown in the air (hydroponically).

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:18 pm

Not sure why this is a big deal? It’s not soil, it’s essentially a type of compost that’s used to help the mushrooms grow. It’s safe to eat and not unhealthy, it’s made from natural ingredients.

I don’t wash mushrooms, I usually just use a damp paper towel to wipe them off and for very dirty ones I use a toothbrush as well.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:33 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Not sure why this is a big deal? It’s not soil, it’s essentially a type of compost that’s used to help the mushrooms grow. It’s safe to eat and not unhealthy, it’s made from natural ingredients.

I don’t wash mushrooms, I usually just use a damp paper towel to wipe them off and for very dirty ones I use a toothbrush as well.

Also sterlized manure, very often. Personally I don't care but I know plenty of people who do. Also it's not a vegetable it's a fungus, which sometimes turns people off

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:39 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

Read what google says that peat compost is made of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen