Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Are 18 month old babies supposed to be eating by themselves?
Previous  1  2

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:48 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Should baby led weaning be standard?

I believe so. It teaches proper eating skills from the beginning.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:53 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

Yes. 'traditional weaning' seems to be based on cultural fear. BLW offers no more dangers but multiple benefits.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:59 pm
My aunt recommended it to me. It was not recommended by my ped and was in the dark beforehand.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:00 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
My aunt recommended it to me. It was not recommended by my ped and was in the dark beforehand.

People for some reason trust pediatricians to know/be up to date on how to take care of children. They have opinions, but their expertise is in medicine.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:04 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
People for some reason trust pediatricians to know/be up to date on how to take care of children. They have opinions, but their expertise is in medicine.

Louder for the people in the back! Director

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:07 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

Nothing should be standard. Everyone should do what works best for them. I assure you when they’re all grown up they’ll be eating by themselves no matter what you do. I still occasionally feed my 8 year old when he asks me to.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:26 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

It should and it's upsetting that pediatricians just stick to what they learned 30 years ago and aren't up to date on the latest research.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
It should and it's upsetting that pediatricians just stick to what they learned 30 years ago and aren't up to date on the latest research.

Yeah. And they're not the only ones who stay decades behind research. 'Best practice' means 'what everyone else is doing' and it takes a frustratingly long time to change.

It's like waiting for Jews to kosherize the latest food trends. Tongue Out

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:33 pm
Yes they definitely should be eating plenty of table food not only spoon fed. As a Morah kids come to me starting at 18m I hand out food and they eat it themselves if help is needed then you help a bit . An 18m old should be able to hold a cookie and eat it pick up Cheerios and eat them this should start by 10-12m they should be able to eat cholent macoroni pizza chicken. Really whatever you eat an 18 m old can eat and should be eating.

heidi

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:15 pm
My 18 month old children ate pizza and watermelon by picking up the pieces and taking bites. They fed themselves almost exclusively by 18 months

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:23 pm
My 10 month old feeds herself

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:31 pm
They can. You just have to develop a tolerance for messes and waste, as more food ends up ON the kid (and the floors, the tray, the walls...) than IN her. But it's a necessary stage of development. I'm always amazed at how early babies are able to pick up Cheerios one by one.

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:35 pm

My baby’s pediatrician told me to wait until my baby could feed himself before starting solids. So some of them do advise parents to do baby led weaning. And she (the doctor) isn’t young and has been practicing medicine for a decent amount of time.

And btw I’m so happy I did. OP- it’s so much easier when your baby can eat on their own! You can actually eat at the same time as your child and not have to be so busy with feeding them. It’s such a more relaxing and enjoyable mealtime.

Unless for some reason your baby physically can’t feed themself I really suggest stopping and letting them try it on their own. They sell long sleeve bibs if you are worried about the mess. Smile

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:30 am
I did not know about BLW until my oldest was almost 2. He’s quite a picky eater. I still made the switch and bh he learned to eat independently and I never chased him to eat or spoon fed him after that. With my second I started right away and she was feeding herself from 5 months. At 17 months, she’s super independent and won’t even let me help her drink. She’s also starting to use a spoon and it’s adorable.

My DH feels bad that we don’t spoon feed her , he thinks we’re neglecting her- because that’s what his mother did chase after him with food all his life and force feed. And yes, he’s extremely picky.

I’m very happy we don’t have to do this. I hate chasing kids to eat. She’s in control of her food choices, she tells me when she’s done, she’s starting off with a healthy relationship with food, and she also has great fine motor skills bh. It’s really a win on both ends.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:28 am
My 14 month old feeds herself. She eats everything we eat. I don't make her special food. I still spoon feed yogurt or mashed potatoes, and we're not quite up to sandwiches yet (just because I feel like that's more bread than she'll eat at the moment), but I think sandwiches will be in another month, and we're working on cutlery.

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:31 am

I am sure that all doctors regularly update their skills and knowledge.

renslet

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:29 am
Regardless of if you start with purees or finger food, all babies (unless they have a specific issue) should be eating fingers food by 8-10 months. It's how they learn to chew and manipulate food in their mouths. Obviously until 12 months, their main nutrition comes from breast milk or formula.
OP, I would advise you to check out solid starts on Instagram or their website. It has a ton of information, explained by Drs and therapists of all kinds and really helps understand the whole process. It also will help you start your child on regular food.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 7:36 am
imaima wrote:
I am sure that all doctors regularly update their skills and knowledge.

Lol
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics