Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No drinking rule
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

keym

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:47 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I totally get the no drinking/no bathroom rule. Drinking is a distraction. The kids are not dying of thirst.
In my high school days the bathroom was a hangout. The teachers tried to limit it by letting girls out one at a time. If someone really needs to leave, they can stand up and leave and explain it to the teacher after class. The teacher is human too.
In elementary, bathroom passes are perfect. But I still think no drinking is acceptable.
@Hibiscus- Your daughters situation obviously calls for more passes. You gotta speak to the teacher.

So have someone patrol the bathrooms/hallways. Don't make girls uncomfortable.

Each teacher thinks that "no one is dying of thirst" in my class.
But girls leave the house at 7:45 in the morning, come home at 5:45pm and have very limited bathroom time (to be shared with dozens of girls) and very limited drinking time.
It definitely encourages a very unhealthy drinking and body awareness attitude.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:56 pm
Drinking during class doesn't make students go to the bathroom too much. If school relies on decreased bathroom usage resulting from dehydration, that's kind of messed up.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:57 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
I totally get the no drinking/no bathroom rule. Drinking is a distraction. The kids are not dying of thirst.
In my high school days the bathroom was a hangout. The teachers tried to limit it by letting girls out one at a time. If someone really needs to leave, they can stand up and leave and explain it to the teacher after class. The teacher is human too.
In elementary, bathroom passes are perfect. But I still think no drinking is acceptable.
@Hibiscus- Your daughters situation obviously calls for more passes. You gotta speak to the teacher.

How is drinking water a distraction? If water is more exciting than the teachers lesson maybe it's time to come up with better lessons. No kid should be shamed into not drinking water or going to the bathroom. And it's not so hard for a secretary to go to the bathroom every so often to make sure there is no big party going on.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

No, it shouldn't come down to needing special treatment.

I have children with stomach issues too and they get mortified from using 'special permission'. Sometimes they'd rather hold in and be in pain. At one workplace I had a colleague who noticed and commented on mine and other colleagues bathroom habits. Ugh it was horrible. Kids should be allowed to do what they need to do without having to make an issue anyone needing to take such close notice and making an issue.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:14 pm
@Hibiscus- Your daughters situation obviously calls for more passes. You gotta speak to the teacher.[/quote]

Of course I speak to the teachers. Like I said, one or two will accommodate her with extra passes, the rest just don't care.

Why should it be necessary to limit children's biological needs? Do you know what crazy stress the kid is under trying to decide if she needs urgently enough to use up a pass or if she can keep it in till recess?

When did school become a place where children's human needs are a nuisance to the teacher's so they get restricted? Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe even prisoners in jail have any bathroom restrictions.

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:25 pm
I can't believe how many people here are ok with drinking in class. For sure it disturbs. We didn't drink in class all 12 years of my school and noone ever complained about it. Drinking every 2 hrs is totally fine, noone is harmed from not having access to water for that long. Kids these days are so entitled.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:27 pm
amother White wrote:
I can't believe how many people here are ok with drinking in class. For sure it disturbs. We didn't drink in class all 12 years of my school and noone ever complained about it. Drinking every 2 hrs is totally fine, noone is harmed from not having access to water for that long. Kids these days are so entitled.

Plenty of adults have a habit of ignoring their thirst, and school might be the reason, even if they didn't complain about it at the time.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:32 pm
amother White wrote:

The kids are in jail? They can't drink? How does a waterbottle disturb.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:35 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Plenty of adults have a habit of ignoring their thirst, and school might be the reason, even if they didn't complain about it at the time.

I am one of those adults. School trained me out of drinking. Because having a water bottle wasn't allowed. And also being limited on when you can use the bathroom can really discourage taking in fluids.

I think people can forget that children are just as human as adults.

amother
Holly

amother White wrote:

I suffer a lifetime of UTIs. Because of withholding water and holding it in.

I couldn't drink at recess because then I would need the bathroom during class and couldn't risk it.
I got into the habit of drinking 1 cup the entire day. A few sips at a time to wet my throat.

I was hospitalized multiple times with kidney infections.

All related.
Children nowadays aren't "entitled and spoiled". They are human beings.

amother
OP

amother Nemesia wrote:

Drinking is a good thing for kids to do. We don’t need to make them suffer unnecessarily just because they aren’t dying of thirst. Your mindset is triggering.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:38 pm
amother White wrote:

Kids are entitled for wanting water? Oy…. Banging head

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:39 pm
amother White wrote:

Forget the kids. I'm entitled! You've never met such an entitled adult as me. I drink water whenever I want, and I see it as my right, too! I guess no one taught me any values as a child. Just look what I've become, and shake your head.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:40 pm
amother White wrote:

How can you claim no one is harmed? One kid had severe headaches only on school days, once she started drinking all day in class it magically disappeared. Another kid was nauseous and dizzy all day, also cured with drinking. I’m so glad my kid’s current school allow water bottles on their desk. So many kids don’t feel well because they don’t drink. I can’t believe people still have the kids are entitled attitude about basic needs.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:58 pm
amother White wrote:

But somehow the teacher can't manage without drinking for 2 hours...
I remember in elementary school the teachers would constantly be sending girls out to refill their cups

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:03 pm
To add: just the knowledge that you won't be able to use the bathroom or drink can often cause thirst or the urge to use the bathroom, even if those urges would not have been present without that knowledge. It also causes anxiety.

At least, that's true for me. I'm often thirsty on Yom Kippur night, just a short time after finishing the seudah hamafsekes.

I would hate for my kids to feel this way all day in school.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:06 pm
I was referring to high school.
I agree that elementary age kids need a little elbow room. But I still think they shouldn't be able to drink during the entire time. Maybe during quiet work or something like that.
Teenagers can drink between periods, and they can leave then too. Even if the break is about two minutes. They can ask their teacher before she comes in to class. Let your teens problem solve.
I didn't graduate from school too long ago.
I remember the difference in the classes between the teacher that let us leave/drink vs. the ones that didn't. It was party time when those teachers walked in. Out came the lattes, ice capps and what not. It didn't stop at the drinks. I did it too.
"How is drinking water a distraction? If water is more exciting than the teachers lesson maybe it's time to come up with better lessons." - In my four years of high school, the teachers with the best lessons were the one's with this rule. The teacher can get distracted if girls play with their water bottles, students can't focus 100% on their water bottle and the lesson at the same time.
"Drinking is a good thing for kids to do. We don’t need to make them suffer unnecessarily just because they aren’t dying of thirst. Your mindset is triggering"- And focusing on the lesson. Is that not a good thing??

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:08 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
What? You limit the amount of times they can go to the bathroom? What if they need to go and they used up their passes?

Gosh, it's way easier being an adult and being able to go to the bathroom whenever I want. I don't think most adults would be able to tolerate what we expect of kids.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!! Kids are PEOPLE!! With almost no freedoms just trying to figure out the world!
This makes me so sad for children and grateful for the AMAZING cheder we send to bh!

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:08 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
But somehow the teacher can't manage without drinking for 2 hours...
I remember in elementary school the teachers would constantly be sending girls out to refill their cups

Try talking for 40+ minutes. And singing. And being all chirpy with those cutesy sound effects...

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:10 pm
Oh come on. If every teacher allowed a water bottle, it would not be a 'party,' it would just be normal.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics