Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
The teacher's role during recess

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:39 am
Curious what different schools expect.

If you're a teacher, are you expected to supervise from the side, but you can sit and talk to other teachers while you do?
Are you expected to stand or walk around the whole time and not talk to other adults?
Are you expected to run/referee games during recess? If so, are you given any other break during the day?

TIA!

effess

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:10 am
Watch kids, no chatting with other adults, no sitting, get involved as needed. Great time to chat with the kids and build personal connections.
Yes, other breaks are built into the schedule.
This is fir a full time teacher 7.5 hour day.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:24 am
I don't have recess duty this year, but in years when I did I alternated shmoozing with the kids and with other teachers- often about school related stuff. We have a seperate lunch and prep period as our breaks

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:58 am
I personally make a point of playing with the kids, but I see a lot of teachers don't. I think some of it depends on the age of the children. I work with younger children and I think they need more help and adult support to navigate playing together. I think older children, it's important that they are learning the skills to play with each other without adult interference.
Remember, most of the day they are forced into a box and recess should be their time to explore what they want on their own terms. To just be. And the teacher is there as back-up if needed.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:54 pm
My girls school has designated staff that are on duty during recess time and the teachers sit in the teachers room.

erm

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:05 pm
There should always be a teacher watching the kids. A lot of bullying happens in the playground

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:17 pm
Like a PSA on pool safety: "If everyone is watching, no one is watching." There need to be specific individual(s) with the responsibility for that recess supervision and they each need to supervise as if the others aren't there.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:36 pm
All the years I taught I stayed with my class, this is when you really learn about their Middos and social skills. My kids school has a system where the teachers have break duty - this is a huge problem and allows for bullying and other problems. If a kids is having a problem they will be very reluctant to speak to a random teacher who is there

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:48 pm
I teach middle elementary (3-6 range).
I'm definitely at recess. If I need the bathroom or a faculty member needs to speak to ke, I appoint another teacher to watch my class.
Sometimes I schmooze with teachers, sometimes I play with the students.
There's lots of watching and refereeing that needs to be done at the middle elementary level.

And yes I see middos and social skills. Which kids are "never out", which kids can get out gracefully, which kids are being exclusive/picking fights/mature and can problem-solve/ cliquey/ Have no friends/are socially off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics