Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Seit or no seit UPDATE
Previous  1  2

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:48 am
You know your child best. Don't fall for the teacher knows best... If you think your child is doing well don't subject him to all the evaluations it's not right. They don't only evaluate him for SEIT, they do multiple evaluations. You will also have a meeting with the BOE and have to tell them your concerns, are you comfortable lieing, because they are not approving the therapy if you have zero concerns. Why would you want your child to get therapy if they don't need it. Why should they get pulled out of class for no reason?
Even if you think it doesn't hurt to get some extra tutoring, who said you're getting a good therapist. I have experience with school therapists and most of them were a waste of time. Also, my child's school used the SEIT therapist as another teacher and most of the SEIT's go along with it because they want a job in the school the next year. I had a SEIT for my child who went along with the class on trips, I could gaurantee you she wasn't there only for my child.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:55 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
As an educator for many years I’ll say that the biggest issue with you stating for her to skip it if ‘she’ doesn’t think he needs it is that a child needs a different skillset to function in the school environment which a parent might not necessarily observe at home. Therefor SA parent is not necessarily a good judge in determining if a child is missing skills or not. I’ll echo what others said. There is absolutely no harm in getting the child evaluated and the evaluations will determine eligibility.

I agree that a kid needs a different skill set, but with one of my kids the evaluators told me things that didn’t make any sense. None of it was true, according to me *and* according to his teachers. They said he has no comprehension skills, unclear speech, doesn’t know his alef beis, bad social behavior, etc.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:01 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
As an educator for many years I’ll say that the biggest issue with you stating for her to skip it if ‘she’ doesn’t think he needs it is that a child needs a different skillset to function in the school environment which a parent might not necessarily observe at home. Therefor SA parent is not necessarily a good judge in determining if a child is missing skills or not. I’ll echo what others said. There is absolutely no harm in getting the child evaluated and the evaluations will determine eligibility.

OK, so let's say she agrees to have her child evaluated and the therapist recommends therapy. What happens when she has the meeting with the Board of Ed? Are they going to approve therapy if the mom says she has no concerns?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:06 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
You know your child best. Don't fall for the teacher knows best... If you think your child is doing well don't subject him to all the evaluations it's not right. They don't only evaluate him for SEIT, they do multiple evaluations. You will also have a meeting with the BOE and have to tell them your concerns, are you comfortable lieing, because they are not approving the therapy if you have zero concerns. Why would you want your child to get therapy if they don't need it. Why should they get pulled out of class for no reason?
Even if you think it doesn't hurt to get some extra tutoring, who said you're getting a good therapist. I have experience with school therapists and most of them were a waste of time. Also, my child's school used the SEIT therapist as another teacher and most of the SEIT's go along with it because they want a job in the school the next year. I had a SEIT for my child who went along with the class on trips, I could gaurantee you she wasn't there only for my child.

Regarding your last sentence- of course the SEIT goes on trips. They are supposed to be with the child a whole day (or whatever the mandated hours are). Should they stay behind in the classroom alone when the class is on a trip?

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:42 pm
What do you guys think about an OT for a nursery kid?
I'm in grad school for OT now and I feel like almost anyone can benefit from it. (ex: my writing grasp is bad and I wish I would've been taught the right way. My hand hurts to write a lot because of it).
I don't think my daughter NEEDS OT but I feel like she can definitely benefit from it.
The OT in the school said that she can get approved. I feel like at this age she doesn't mind being singled out. She goes out once a week to have fun with a lady.
(I don't think she will get next year. It's just for this year.)

Am I wrong?

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Regarding your last sentence- of course the SEIT goes on trips. They are supposed to be with the child a whole day (or whatever the mandated hours are). Should they stay behind in the classroom alone when the class is on a trip?

He was getting services about 3 times a  week, for a few hours a day. The day camp had a trip once a week and she was purposely coming the day of the trip. I was a very young mom back then and was easily taken advantage of. The school knew which mom they could get away with tricking. What's very upsetting is that my son really needed the therapy, he's a teenager now and still has extra help, that I pay thousands of dollars for.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers