Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are Jews Overly Obsessed with Money?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:44 am
Living L'chaim just put out a new podcast.

KOSHER MONEY Ep. 47 with Rabbi Jeremy Wieder

Either on You Tube or can someone post a link. Thank you.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:33 am
I really liked it - was thought provoking and such an accurate picture of what is happening.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 3:31 am
What an awful title

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 3:38 am
Here is the YouTube video

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:04 am
Nope

Reality

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:07 am
ectomorph wrote:
What an awful title

Exactly. Why give fodder to the Jew haters?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:38 am
Plus it's not true. If anything, the Jewish community is obsessed with GIVING money. Everyone gives so much when they can and when they can't.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 4:44 am
I didn't listen to the podcast so idk but I don't think were obsessed with money, per se. I think we're obsessed with things and more things. we need soo much clothes and such fancy homes and lavish vacations and accessories. plus it doesnt help that jewish life revolves around shopping. for yom tov, for simchos....
my son has a perfectly good wardrobe from last summer but his school demands a total change in dress code for this grade so now I'm shopping from scratch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:01 am
OP here. Just so you know I did not come up with the title. It was on my channel with the podcast so I copied it.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:30 am
I think Jews need more money (I don't think we're obsessed with it)
in general, kosher food is much more, tuition is much more, and we have much larger families B'H.
What would be considered very, very comfortable in the outside world would be scraping by in our world probably....
Money is a tool....

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:59 am
amother Lime wrote:
I think Jews need more money (I don't think we're obsessed with it)
in general, kosher food is much more, tuition is much more, and we have much larger families B'H.
What would be considered very, very comfortable in the outside world would be scraping by in our world probably....
Money is a tool....

True, since we need to be able to generate significant income to survive in our world, we have a very heavy focus on it. But I think its a three-fold issue.

1. - mentioned above. We need large income to survive.
2. - in many communities, we don't properly prepare for financial futures. So as you hit that lifestage, we need to compensate for that. That creates a heavy focus on how to accomplish that.
3 - We focus too much on externals. We connect externals to almost everything that we do, and then create purported needs for it.

All of these are interconnected. In creating so much focus on externals, we add further burden to an already financially heavy lifestyle. In order to compensate for the lack of financial preparation, a couple often needs to work hard and long hours to be on a stable ground. That creates additional needs such as childcare, housework help, etc., which then further adds to additional financial needs.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 4:48 pm
I don't think we are overly obsessed with money but I think we are overly obsessed with gashmius and that contributes in part to chasing after money. The community as a whole is obsessed with appearances and clothes and everything looking perfect.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 4:57 pm
I listened to it. I thought it was interesting. What I particularly liked is that he "stayed in his own lane". He is MO and he made it very clear that he was talking about the MO world because that's the world he's in. He didn't get in to a whole lets bash kollel.... type of thing.

mzybas

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 5:11 pm
Are Jews overly obsessed with money?
Avadeh!! You never read the Merchant of Venice???

paperflowers

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 5:18 pm
I thought it was a great episode.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics