Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teacher mentoring

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:05 am
What a loaded subject!

I work in a school where there is high turnover and a great need for teacher mentoring. I've been teaching for almost a decade and would like to further my career by mentoring teachers and curriculum management.
((I work in a frum school.)

Questions:

Has anyone here taken Torah Umesorah's ICC (coaching teachers) course? What did it focus on? Rate and review:)

If you have (or are) someone on school staff who charged with mentoring new teachers, giving them tips, helping the manage the curriculum, pacing them and helping the find resources, etc. Is that person a classroom teacher too, or is it too much to do both?

Would love to hear thoughts from teachers and principals who've been in this field for 5+ years.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:11 am
I met someone that does that in lakewood. She gets paid from a govt program. Dhe is also a teacher.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:32 am
Bump

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:42 am
Would you charge per hour or per year/teacher? When I looked into it, it wasn't very profitable, considering the amount of hours required to properly mentor a new teacher.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:48 am
Either this would be a job for the school, paid by school (we have PD funding), or I'd try to find a grant or organization to pay. I once heard that there is such a thing...

Someone told me that a school in NJ requires new teachers to be mentored, which is great, but also they have to pay the mentor, which I don't get.

If the school would pay me, I think they would do per hour.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:12 am
Don’t know if this answers your question exactly.
I once worked at a school that had some unofficial mentoring. There was a teacher there who was in a minor leadership role, and during his free time meetings would be set up with him, and then you could discuss anything you want. It was actually nice because he wasn’t my boss so I didn’t feel self-conscious asking him for help with classroom management etc. He had years and years of experience and was quite good and gave me some good advice.
I did like the fact that he was still teaching as I felt that he still had a ‘hand’ on current teaching and wasn’t just sitting there to give me advice if that makes sense.
It’s a good setup in general.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:43 am
The ICC program was excellent and helped me in my own classroom as well as in mentoring other teachers. It was hands on and dynamic.
Torah Umesora had a program where I was paid to mentor new teachers, I think it had some connection to a college program and the teachers received credit for the mentoring. I was paid 75 an hour but could only mentor for 20 hours per teacher.

Now I work for two schools directly and am paid through a government program. It's only 45 dollars an hour, but could increase to up to 250 an hour depending on your degree.
I did it for a few years while also teaching but this year, I started mentoring full time. I am not sure about next year. I still prepare a lot though not as much as when I was teaching. The paperwork is very pointless and draining. It's very rewarding to help teachers and see them grow so much, but also frustrating when you put all this effort into turning them into great teachers and then they are gone after a year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
The ICC program was excellent and helped me in my own classroom as well as in mentoring other teachers. It was hands on and dynamic.
Torah Umesora had a program where I was paid to mentor new teachers, I think it had some connection to a college program and the teachers received credit for the mentoring. I was paid 75 an hour but could only mentor for 20 hours per teacher.

Now I work for two schools directly and am paid through a government program. It's only 45 dollars an hour, but could increase to up to 250 an hour depending on your degree.
I did it for a few years while also teaching but this year, I started mentoring full time. I am not sure about next year. I still prepare a lot though not as much as when I was teaching. The paperwork is very pointless and draining. It's very rewarding to help teachers and see them grow so much, but also frustrating when you put all this effort into turning them into great teachers and then they are gone after a year.

Seafoam ,that was very helpful. Food for thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics