Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How do I go to Shul - help please!
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:10 pm
Revealing my ignorance here - I don't get it, if it's too early to light then how is it late enough to daven? Either it's time to make early Shabbos or it isn't... this is so confusing

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:11 pm
seeker wrote:
Revealing my ignorance here - I don't get it, if it's too early to light then how is it late enough to daven? Either it's time to make early Shabbos or it isn't... this is so confusing

Tellmeaboudit!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:12 pm
seeker wrote:

Mincha should be before plag, and kabbalas shabbos can be. Just maariv has to be after

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:12 pm
seeker wrote:

They daven mincha before the zman to light. It's not too early for that. By the time they finish mincha and are ready for kabbalas shabbos and maariv it's already the zman to light.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:16 pm
Yes so my assumption was that OP wants to go to shul for kabbalas Shabbos. Which would have to be after candle lighting. Unless I guess they are starting kabbalas Shabbos exactly at candle lighting time, and it takes long enough to walk from friend to shul that they miss it. I'm guessing that's what's going on?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:33 pm
Sounds like thus shul either has many people who are okay with making early Shabbat, or doesn't expect anyone who lights candles to show up on Friday nights.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:34 pm
seeker wrote:
Yes so my assumption was that OP wants to go to shul for kabbalas Shabbos. Which would have to be after candle lighting. Unless I guess they are starting kabbalas Shabbos exactly at candle lighting time, and it takes long enough to walk from friend to shul that they miss it. I'm guessing that's what's going on?

Most likely that's the case.
She can light same time they start kabbalas shabbos. That takes her a few minutes then walk to shul is another few minutes. By the time she gets there they're in middle of maariv at best. Kabbalas shabbos isn't that long.

dena613

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 10:33 pm
Halachikly, you cannot light before plag hamincha.

Also halachikly, if you do early shabbos, mincha should be before plag hamincha and maarivs should be after.

Therefore, shuls that accept shabbos early tend to start mincha approx. 20 minutes before plag.

Op, you are not being prevented from davening in shul because you're Jewish

You're being prevented because you are doing early sahbbos

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 10:46 pm
This has nothing to do with going to your friend for the meal. If you’re making early Shabbos the woman lights at home long after the man has gone to shul. That’s how it always is.

Yes indeed there’s division of gender roles in our religion.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note