Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Eating fleishig during the 9 days for a woman's siyum
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 6:35 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
We don't make a bracha on shofer
We don't make a bracha on megillah
We don't shake lulav/esrog, the girls that want to, don't make a bracha. We don't make a bracha for eating in the sukkah.

I could be wrong, but I believe that when someone blows shofar privately for women, a woman makes the bracha.
We have Megillah reading in our house every year for women, and one of the women makes the brachos while a man leins.
In our family anyone who shakes the lulav and esrog makes a bracha. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who shakes and doesn’t make a bracha.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 7:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Some hold you can and should, others disagree, see links below for more details. AYLOR if needed.

My LOR says yes, and I just did my first one ever today, on a seder of mishnayos. I wasn't planning for it to fall on the nine days, but it worked out that way.

We didn't do anything big or fancy, just me and DH and the kids eating fleishig takeout at home. But it was special.

Anyone else either made a siyum during these 9 days or planning to?

Halacha shiur by Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz, who mentions that Rav Schachter agrees l'halacha that it is permissible to eat meat at a woman's siyum, assuming she is learning l'shem shamayim, etc.:

http://www.yutorah.org/lecture.....iyum/

Rav Shlomo Wahrman's teshuva permitting the practice, which is discussed in the above shiur: http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdf.....um=47

Mazel tov! I haven't read the whole thread yet, just your OP.
My understanding about siyumim during the 9 days is that the siyumim shouldn't davka be timed for this time, but organically fall out on it, and it shouldn't be a one-time thing but something the mesaymim (mesaymos?) regularly do. The wrong kind of siyumim give me more pause than gender.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 7:58 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Men in our family don't make a siyum in the 9 days.
And no, I don't think it's ignorant to compare it to W.O.W. women have no chiyuv to learn. Women have no chiyuv to read from the torah and have an aliya, woman have no chiyuv to learn mishnayos or anything else.
And no, eating OU is not necessarily relying on Rav Schachter. OU isn't run by 1 single Rabbi or baal machsher. It's a whole different operation than heimish hechshers.

Leave aside the OU. Rav Schachter is an odom gadol (I don't know Rav Wahrman).
Assuming the RY says that a first timer's siyum is ok, enjoy.
I wasn't invited so I don't have to decide what my comfort level is with this Wink

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 7:59 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
I want to add to my post, on #1, that it's misleading to say that women don't have a chiyuv to learn. Torah belongs to all jews. Women are certainly obligated to learn halachos that apply to them, and certainly get schar for learning. That being said, Torah sh'bal peh, specifically Mishna and gemarah, and the systematic learning of abstract subjects, is an obligation on men, and not on women. Not because women are inferior, intellectually or spiritually, but because men and women have different roles.

It's not a chiyuv but it is a reshus.
Say, that doesn't figure in to the psak? (Sorry OP, not invested enough to study the links you so graciously sent.)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:01 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
We had a seminary rabbi who said it’s not so
Clear that women don’t have a chiyuv to do shnayim mikrah each week

Sorry, I'm missing what you want to say vis a vis the post your quoted.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:04 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Which mitzvahs do Ashkenazi women make brachos for that we're not commanded to do that specific mitzvah?

Sefira. I believe the Mishnah Berurah says women should count without a bracha.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:07 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I believe that when someone blows shofar privately for women, a woman makes the bracha.
We have Megillah reading in our house every year for women, and one of the women makes the brachos while a man leins.
In our family anyone who shakes the lulav and esrog makes a bracha. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who shakes and doesn’t make a bracha.

Babyblue is probably Sephardic. Her minhag follows the Bet Yosef, not the Rama”h. Sephardic women don’t make a bracha on time bound mitzvot that they’re not obligated to perform.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:46 am
Ema of 5 wrote:

Yup. My previous post was specific to sephardim. At a megillah leining or shofar blowing for Sephardic women, no bracha is made. And if a woman shakes, she doesn't make a bracha.

The point I was making way up-thread was that if (Ashkenazi) women make brachos on mitzvos they are not obligated to do, is it so far-fetched that a siyum on something you're not obligated to learn can be a seudas mitzvah?

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:48 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Sefira. I believe the Mishnah Berurah says women should count without a bracha.

Sefira has an additional reason for women not making a bracha: it's a risk of bracha levatala, because if you miss a night, all previous nights were lvatala. A man has to take this risk because he is obligated, but many hold a woman shouldn't take the risk.

(Sephardi women typically don't count or keep track even without a bracha, for more kabballistic reasons.)

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 8:59 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Al divrei Torah, lulav, etc

Even Sephardic women absolutely DO say birchos hatorah every single morning, because women are also obligated in Torah (albeit differently than men--but the same brachos, with Shem u'malchus).

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 10:04 am
amother Navy wrote:
Babyblue is probably Sephardic. Her minhag follows the Bet Yosef, not the Rama”h. Sephardic women don’t make a bracha on time bound mitzvot that they’re not obligated to perform.

No, not sephardi in the least.
This is what's done in our family

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 10:43 am
amother Sienna wrote:
I've heard it's an inyan to have fleishigs

Thing is, many brissim are in the morning... What

It's not simply an inyan. A bris requires a seudas mitzvah, no different than a wedding or bar mitzvah. I believe you are SUPPOSED have meat/chicken, that's the ideal way to have a seudas mitzvah.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 11:08 am
PSA women are required to hear Megilla. It cannot be conflated with other things being mentioned here like Hallel and Lulav

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Sefira has an additional reason for women not making a bracha: it's a risk of bracha levatala, because if you miss a night, all previous nights were lvatala. A man has to take this risk because he is obligated, but many hold a woman shouldn't take the risk.

(Sephardi women typically don't count or keep track even without a bracha, for more kabballistic reasons.)

Yes, I was going to mention that. Thanks.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics