Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ds6 is always jealous

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:01 pm
My son from when he has been little has always had a jealous tendency. He is sandwiched between two girls and is constantly jealous that they have stuff that he doesn't. We always tried to be empathetic BC he was right we used to give him treats that they didn't get.

However it doesn't stop there, he is jealous of anything even if it doesn't make sense. Recently DH was eating leftover cholent on Monday, he was so upset, saying, he never had on Monday cholent.

I remember when he was five screaming that he is so starving and he can die from hunger BC he didn't get a cookie after having many. He has a huge flair for drama. Any advice?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:19 pm
my son was also like this. I found the book 'siblings without rivalry' by adelle faber had many helpful tips. he's older now and bh got much better about it. but the underlying cause is apparently the drive to feel special and valued just for who he is. Once he's confident with that the jealousy and constant looking over his shoulder gets better. he also saw a social worker who helped build his self esteem more. (filled a treasure box that he decorated with little papers every time we figured out something he was good at or did special)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:30 pm
Thank you so much. I should get that book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics