Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Is this a reason to ask for a heter?
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's different if you're fully nursing and you don't know if the baby will take bottles. My baby already takes formula for about 1/3 of his feedings. I just don't want to lose the rest Sad

You won’t lose your milk from one day of fasting
And better you should lose your milk than be chayev kareis

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
You won’t lose your milk from one day of fasting
And better you should lose your milk than be chayev kareis

I fasted on Tisha Bav a week after a stomach virus. The virus had cut down my supply and 9 av was the final nail in the coffin. My supply dropped to about 2x a day and I couldn't get it back up (baby was a few months old)

So IME a fast can have a permanent effect

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:07 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
What? The first week is when you are a choleh misikun, it's dangerous to fast then

Yom kippur, a women has to fast from 3 days post partum.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:09 pm
The best advice I got from my Rabbi was to spend the whole fast laying down. If at all possible stay with family or hire a babysitter or get a new toy that you can play with your kids while you lay down. I've nursed big babies and been heavily pregnant on YK, that is so important. Get up for shmoneh esrai, meal prep, diapers, and bathroom breaks. Plan the day carefully.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
The best advice I got from my Rabbi was to spend the whole fast laying down. If at all possible stay with family or hire a babysitter or get a new toy that you can play with your kids while you lay down. I've nursed big babies and been heavily pregnant on YK, that is so important. Get up for shmoneh esrai, meal prep, diapers, and bathroom breaks. Plan the day carefully.

I don't even get up for shemonei esra.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I fasted on Tisha Bav a week after a stomach virus. The virus had cut down my supply and 9 av was the final nail in the coffin. My supply dropped to about 2x a day and I couldn't get it back up (baby was a few months old)

So IME a fast can have a permanent effect

You just said it was after a week of a stomach virus. That means you were extremely dehydrated and then fasted. You are comparing apples to oranges

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:31 pm
With helpful replies about prob not but ask, additionally
Maybe when asking shilah, ask for clear criteria. Like if light headed, is it better to daven sitting or lying down, or not daven & just fast & rest as much as possible?

And then to avoid obstacles on yk itself, ask preemptively for other clear criteria, like (as someone else posted literally feeling faint) if you cv were to feel faint, is that a line where you should drink & if so how much & how often

Are you able to arrange help, maybe mother helper type pre-bat mikvah/non-fasting girls help?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:46 pm
My Rabbi has such a different , manageable view
Because the most important aspect of the day is the fast , shiurim can be a way for people to get through the day with it still being considered as if you fasted
Anytime I have been pregnant or nursing my dh has had shiurim ready in fridge in case I need ( as per his rav ) which bh I have never had to use
But as the rav says , sometimes just knowing u have it there is enough

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:48 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Someone just told me that it’s 3 days. Yom Kippur is a big deal. Drink a lot of water and be prepared. Make the fast work. You can do it!

First three days you eat basically regular. Not allowed to fast.

First week eat with shiurim for sure......but really can do this for much longer.

AYLOR

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:56 pm
In terms of losing your supply, this worried me too. Rov(zl) said to drink tons before and after YK and supply would be fine. BH it was 😀

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:14 pm
Had a baby 6 Tishri. Was told to try to fast, and have shiurim prepped if feel weak.

I personally hate such a psak, cuz I always push myself…but it was fine. I mainly sat on a recliner all day.

imaima

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 5:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Baby will be 6 weeks old. I know you're only considered a cholah for the first 30 days. But I'm not good at fasts in general and have never done one while breastfeeding an infant before (my other kids were born not long after YK, by Tisha b'av they were already eating food much of the time) I've been having a hard time keeping my strength up even on regular days and have had milk supply issues that require supplementing with formula. I've been working really hard to get my milk going and there's been improvement, but I'm assuming a rav would say that if the baby takes formula then it's not really a problem if I lose my supply over Yom Kippur. And the truth is that healthwise, for the baby, it wouldn't be. I would just be extremely disappointed to be busted or even set back after a month and a half of working on this.

Has anyone ever gotten a heter to do shiurim longer than a month after birth?

I was allowed shiurim in such a case.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 6:14 pm
1. Ask. Sometimes they'll give a heter, sometimes they'll give helpful suggestions, sometimes they'll tell you if x happens then you can do y.

2. Call a frum lactation consultant. I wish I kept the information so I could share it with you, but I remember I got specific instructions on what to do in the days leading up to the fast, during the fast, and after the fast in order to maintain my milk (I had a hard time keeping supply up in general and I am very familiar with non alcoholic malt that I very often choked down when my supply was dwindling - that wasn't from a lactation consultant lol).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 6:17 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Had a baby 6 Tishri. Was told to try to fast, and have shiurim prepped if feel weak.

I personally hate such a psak, cuz I always push myself…but it was fine. I mainly sat on a recliner all day.

I had a baby on 5 Tishrei and when my husband asked he was told "up to a week if she says she can't fast she doesn't have to fast and she is going to say she can't fast (no shiurim)"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur