Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Does fasting cause staining or irregular cycles?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:19 pm
Anyone heard of this?

Gittu

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 9:26 pm
no

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 10:20 pm
Yes! I usually stain after fasting.

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 11:39 pm
yup. for years I would start staining or get my period shortly after tisha bav or yk were over. Very annoying, but yes, does happen.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:53 pm
Yes. Absolutely. Married 27 years. My cycles are always messed up after fasting

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 4:33 pm
That happened to me for the first time today! I just went last week to the mikvah post partum and here I'm a niddah again!

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 4:38 pm
Yup feeling cramps and some staining. So upset was not expecting it yet.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 4:58 pm
When I took the pill and had to change the time because of the fast I often would start bleeding within a day or two. It was annoying to be niddah over succos. Well I switched to nuvaring and don't have that issue anymore.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 5:49 pm
I had this many times, but I found that if I hydrated really well before the fast it happened less.

Also random, but jetlag like America to Israel did it too.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 5:54 pm
was also wondering got my cycle 26 days later motzei yom kippur
this never ever happened bef

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 6:17 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
When I took the pill and had to change the time because of the fast I often would start bleeding within a day or two. It was annoying to be niddah over succos. Well I switched to nuvaring and don't have that issue anymore.

Is the nuva ring painful to insert?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 6:45 pm
Yes. When I was a newlywed I stained after fasting and the rav told my DH that I’m the future I should ask whether I should fast or not (not referring to Yom Kippur and Tisha Bav) he said he would rather I not fast then cause myself to become niddah because of fasting . This was many years ago and I don’t use this rav anymore .

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Is the nuva ring painful to insert?

No, not at all.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:33 pm
Yes.
In my first year of marriage, I stained over a fast and got a psak to only fast Tisha B'av and YK. The Rav said it was a known thing that fasting messes with cycles and nowadays women should only be fasting Tisha B'Av and YK. A generally strict Rabbi.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
No, not at all.

Can you explain briefly how it works? How often do you insert it? How long does it stay there? Do it yourself or a doctor? Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's very frustrating to be again a niddah after being one for so long!

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Can you explain briefly how it works? How often do you insert it? How long does it stay there? Do it yourself or a doctor? Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's very frustrating to be again a niddah after being one for so long!

Yes, I was also nervous before starting. It's really very simple. It's a little plastic ring-like thing about 2 in in diameter. You squeeze it and push it in like a bedikah. You take it out once a month and insert a new one after a few days. It just stays in there, you don't feel it or anything. Happens to be the only form of bc I can tolerate.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:22 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
Yes, I was also nervous before starting. It's really very simple. It's a little plastic ring-like thing about 2 in in diameter. You squeeze it and push it in like a bedikah. You take it out once a month and insert a new one after a few days. It just stays in there, you don't feel it or anything. Happens to be the only form of bc I can tolerate.

What time of the month do you take it out? When you get the period? Can you nurse clean with it a few months?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:24 pm
I fasted tzom gedaliah and my period was lighter in flow but stained a lot more, came out in dry clumps. Going to mikvah later then ever did.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:12 am
amother Taupe wrote:
What time of the month do you take it out? When you get the period? Can you nurse clean with it a few months?

It works for I think 30 days. You can go back to pack, but I would always stain on the second one. You get your period after taking it out if you don't replace it. Not sure about nursing.

I'm happy to answer your questions, but there are a lot of people here with a lot more knowledge than me. You're really best off starting a spin-off specifically about the nuvaring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur