Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Collecting money for employee

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:02 pm
Someone at work is collecting money for an employee who lost his father. Employee was away for a while in his fathers country. I think they’re just going to give him cash. How much is appropriate to give towards this without looking too cheap? Not rly so close w him but cordial. Is 10 too cheap? I saw someone give in 20.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:09 pm
Whatever you feel comfortable.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:19 pm
What does cash have to do with losing a father? I don't understand what they're collecting for exactly.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:21 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
What does cash have to do with losing a father? I don't understand what they're collecting for exactly.

It’s a gesture. Giving is optional. If it doesn’t make sense to you don’t give

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:21 pm
Usually these get put together as a group collection, so the recipient won't know who gave how much, just who gave. So I don't think it really matters. Give what you want to give. I think $10 is fine personally.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
It’s a gesture. Giving is optional. If it doesn’t make sense to you don’t give

And I don't understand why cash is a meaningful gesture. I've been through a lot of hardships and losses and people don't throw cash at me. I honestly think it's strange.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:30 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
And I don't understand why cash is a meaningful gesture. I've been through a lot of hardships and losses and people don't throw cash at me. I honestly think it's strange.

I don’t either understand. They’ve collected money in the past for other ppl ( non Jewish employees if it makes a diff. Could be a cultural thing…)

The person collecting is just so awk about it in general. They made a goodbye party for someone the other week and she asked for 30 dollars from everyone! She came to me so awkwardly. I was like is there gonna be kosher food? (If there wasn’t I would’ve given but just less bc 30 is a lot for not being able to eat anything..) she told me they were going to order kosher in addition to what they’re having. (My two slices and a bit of pasta still wasn’t worth 30 bucks but wtvr I did it to make a kiddush hashem). And now they’re collecting again it’s just a lot!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:54 pm
Sounds cultural I guess. If they didn't specify, I would assume $10 is fine.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Then you probably don’t work in a place that does these collections, in which case you can move right on. Money can be for unexpected travel expenses. Or for dinner for the family. It’s not about the money it’s about the feeling about being cared for.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:56 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Then you probably don’t work in a place that does these collections, in which case you can move right on. Money can be for unexpected travel expenses. Or for dinner for the family. It’s not about the money it’s about the feeling about being cared for.

Right. He missed a lot a lot of work. Probably was gone for close to two months. So he definitely didn’t have enough PTO and I’m sure wasn’t paid much so I guess any amount can help..

effess

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:23 pm
My place of work does this for any family event/ crisis.
It’s sweet to get flowers/card/gift card as a gesture from your work place that they are thinking about you in this time.
$10 is very reasonable

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:34 pm
We do this where I work too. Usually there's a suggested donation of 5$ (there's a lot of people so it still adds up). It's tough when they don't give you a suggested amount, but I think 10 is totally fine).

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:37 pm
If they didn’t give a suggested amount then $10 is fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics