Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need healthy snack ideas for 2 year old

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:50 pm
ds (almost 2) sits in the babysitting room for about an hour each morning while I work out at the gym. I need to send him with a snack because all the other kids have so he wont feel left out.
so far I've sent him with; raisins, pretzels, rice cakes or whole wheat crackers, but he's getting kind of bored of those already.
I cannot send any real fruit because he occasionally chokes on them and I dont want that to happen when I'm not around.
but I will not hand him a bag of chips or junk like all the other kids have. he doesnt seem to mind if he has s/t different, as long as he likes what he has.

so...any ideas?

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:51 pm
individual applesauces

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:52 pm
My baby loves prunes and dried apricots (I cut them up). Also, eating cereal out of a bag is fun for kids.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:53 pm
My kids love to snack on ww breadsticks

Maybe tea biscuits?

HAPPYMOMMY

leben with a straw

Lady Godiva

HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
leben with a straw

Or yogurt.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:07 pm
cheerios - also ds a 2yo has a new huge fav. They have these bags of dried apples everywhere. He loves them. We used to do cheerios and pretzels. We expanded to include applesauce cups, though that does become a mess for us, cheese sticks, graham crackers, rice cakes with or without apple butter, animal crackers if I'm really feeling nice Smile , and these apple snacks. We stayed away from other dried fruit because ds gives us a hard time brushing his teeth and its very sticky.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:08 pm
Oh, also sometimes I'd make trail mix - cheerios, soy nuts (we're nut free), raisins, etc.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:28 pm
string cheese, cereal in a bag, sandwich, granola bar, muffin bar, homemade cookies, and everything else mentioned above.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 1:38 pm
I cut grapes and cherries into quarters and put them into a small kid bowl w/ a lid. Cut blueberries in half and small peices of a banana in half. BTW, do u go to KG? Cuz so do I! Wonder who ur ds is... My dd is the one w/ no hair (just a few blond hairs), earrings and a bracelette (gotta let e/o know she's a girl).

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 2:11 pm
thanx all for your suggestions! (I was actually so busy with other things, I forgot that I started this post!)

he's not very good at keeping things steady, so anything in a bowl or container will probably land on the floor. same thing with applesauce, yogurt, leben....he will spill it Sad

I did cereal one day, and it was ok, I also tried mixing 2 snacks together in a sandwich bag (like cheerios and pretzels) and he thought that was really cool LOL

we also discovered raisins!! I never liked them as a kid but I bought him one box and he loooooved it! so now we can add that to our variety.

anyway, thanx all for your help!

and BusyBeeMommy, yes, I go to the KG; I think I know who you are. my son looks like he is the oldest one there! and my 4 month old is there as well.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 8:58 pm
DD had a prob w/ keeping the bowl steady too, but after she practiced for like a week she got it straight ! No leben, applesauce or yogurt for her either - it gets smeared all over herself, the other kids, the stroller and the walls!

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:00 pm
Oh and I thought of one more thing - dont know if ur DS will go for it but DD is pretty naive still- how about cheese? String, american, shredded...

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:44 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Oh and I thought of one more thing - dont know if ur DS will go for it but DD is pretty naive still- how about cheese? String, american, shredded...

he actually does like cheese, but from the time I pack up my diaper bag till I actually arrive at the gym and hand him his snack, is like 45 minutes and in this heat, I'm nervous about spoiling. but anyway, I only have a few weeks of my membership left so we'll just make do with what we have.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:51 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

he actually does like cheese, but from the time I pack up my diaper bag till I actually arrive at the gym and hand him his snack, is like 45 minutes and in this heat, I'm nervous about spoiling. but anyway, I only have a few weeks of my membership left so we'll just make do with what we have.

It should be fine - put an ice pack

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 1:59 pm
OT, but things that are meat and dairy and shld be refrigerated will stay good out of the fridge for up to 2 hrs. I've read this in many places that discuss food safety.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics