Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Afula Aliyah
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 3:11 pm
queen-b wrote:
Yes we are sefardi so it works out well because I really like the schools, they are smaller than the ashkenazi ones.
There happens to be several ashekenazi kids in each of my kids schools (I think because of the diversity and the size) so it's definitely doable. I can understand the hesitation coming from America.
I don't know the history of mamach schools but like everything in the north it's much more laid back. It's a very accepting place. So maybe in other areas a mamach school are frowned upon but I haven't noticed any backlash here. Personally, I don't care if Israeli charedim consider mamach schools charedi. It doesn't affect me. In the mamach schools the teacher's have to have proper certification, math is taught as well as other subjects, plus all the kodesh subjects. All the teacher's are charedi (a mix of sefardi and ashkenazi moros and rebbes) and the kids get a free hot lunch:)

The north is more accepting generally although the chareidi community is still very chareidi and speerate usually.

I know a few people who tried out sefardi schools and they all were bullied and deeply struggled in them.

It's fine for you if you don't want to be a part of the chareidi community, your kids don't want to go to chareidi yeshivos etc and you will always be looked at as in between worlds and different. Can't go to chareidi shuls, shadchanim etc.
But you are sefardi so it's different.

queen-b

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 3:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
The north is more accepting generally although the chareidi community is still very chareidi and speerate usually.

I know a few people who tried out sefardi schools and they all were bullied and deeply struggled in them.

It's fine for you if you don't want to be a part of the chareidi community, your kids don't want to go to chareidi yeshivos etc and you will always be looked at as in between worlds and different. Can't go to chareidi shuls, shadchanim etc.
But you are sefardi so it's different.

Being American in the north, we are definitley between worlds and different but I can say the same for my friend's who send to the ashkenazi bais yaakov here. I am hoping to provide my kids with the skills so that they can integrate and choose where they will want to go. I don't know for sure that they will ALWAYS be looked at as different. At this point, I do not feel like we are limiting ourselves by sending to a mamach school but I guess time will tell!

BatZion

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 3:14 am
Rappel wrote:
Hmmm .... You're all making me think again about an idea I had.

I think this could work as an Aliyah plan, but I no longer have the American contacts to make it happen.

Basically: have a large group of olim land in yishuvim - ideally, several groups nearby each other - and let that be their landing pad, without any commitment to stay in the community long term.

The pluses of yishuvim:
*Tons of communal support - everything you would want to raise kids happily.
*Friendly environment
*Pretty areas

The pluses of group aliyah:
*Municipal assistance with beaurocracy
*Organized ulpan
*Group activities
*Easy transition, local language when you're feeling emotional, and sympathy with the others in the group
*It's easy to set up assistance programs, like job hunting, school assistance, and other things to help families acclimate.

At any time, a family can decide they want to move on from the group, but they can start with all the support they need and then decide on their direction.

Like the groups of French olim moving to certain yishuvim in the Shomron in recent years?

queen-b

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:33 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
It's really special to be part of this pioneering group. Thanks to Rabbi Gold's efforts we are building infrastructure for new olim. The school's are very supportive and understanding that this is a challenging time for our kids and there is very little academic pressure, the goal is for them to integrate and learn the language. My son's (6th and 7th grade) are being pulled out 1 hour (individually) a day to go over gemara so they are learning and have a context of what is going on in class. The language is coming slowly. We only put them in Israeli schools Pesach time and they are BH rising to the challenge (with ups and downs:)

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:14 am
The Yeshiva world article says that Rabbi Gold started an American community in Afula and it has been quite successful. According to several websites there was a community started there last summer with 40-70 families by Rabbi Nesanel Cadle of Yardley, PA. Was that successful ? How many of those 40-70 are still there ? Where is Rabbi Gold's successful community ? I'm confused....sorry

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:20 am
This is the same community. Rabbi Gold supported Rabbi Cadle in founding an Anglo community in Afula. The community is successful, some families from the original group are staying in Afula while others found a better fit in other cities. New American families are joining the community from the US and other cities in Israel this summer. The numbers 40 - 70 families are projections for this initiative, I believe the starting number was around 20 families last summer. My friends are there, and are very happy. We are considering joining in the future.

queen-b

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:45 am
[quote="amother Jean"]The Yeshiva world article says that Rabbi Gold started an American community in Afula and it has been quite successful. According to several websites there was a community started there last summer with 40-70 families by Rabbi Nesanel Cadle of Yardley, PA. Was that successful ? How many of those 40-70 are still there ? Where is Rabbi Gold's Rabbi Gold has helped us transition into the Israeli schools and is helping us advocate for funding for school support.

We are so grateful to be here and happy that we landed in Afula. It has an out of town feeling while reaping the benefits of living in Eretz Yisroel.

Last edited by queen-b on Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total

queen-b

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:48 am
amother Daylily wrote:
This is the same community. Rabbi Gold supported Rabbi Cadle in founding an Anglo community in Afula. The community is successful, some families from the original group are staying in Afula while others found a better fit in other cities. New American families are joining the community from the US and other cities in Israel this summer. The numbers 40 - 70 families are projections for this initiative, I believe the starting number was around 20 families last summer. My friends are there, and are very happy. We are considering joining in the future.

I don't know who you are but we are a very welcoming group, I hope that you join!

Last edited by queen-b on Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

queen-b

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 6:37 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that your kids felt so welcomed! Great news!
I strongly suggest you and DH to make ulpan a top top priority. Once you understand Hebrew it opens so many gates to understanding the society here.
[marq=down]

I actuall did an uplan for nearly 5 months. (4.5 hours a day, 5 days a week) I absolutely loved the teacher as a person but she wasn't such a great teacher. We didn't do a lot of conversational hebrew. I totally agree with you, mastering the language does open a lot of gates. It's a frustrating slow process but somehow we manage! My kids are much quicker to learn! The ironic part is that even when I try to speak hebrew, Israeli's love to try and practice their english, so the conversation ends up being in english (to my relief;)

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 3:42 pm
Shavua Tov....wondering 6 mo's later queen b if you could provide an update if your recommendation for Americans to move to Afula is status quo, stronger etc. ?

queen-b

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Shavua Tov....wondering 6 mo's later queen b if you could provide an update if your recommendation for Americans to move to Afula is status quo, stronger etc. ?

Hi! I still very much recommend Afula (we are in Afula Illit) as a place to make aliyah. Top 5 reasons: 1. it has an out of town charedi vibe (meaning it's not as intense as Jerusalem). 2. The cost of living is much more affordable 3. Public transportation is great (we ourselves do not have a car) 4. the schools are relatively easy to get into (I hear crazy stories from my RBS friends how difficult it is). 5. The PEOPLE. The anglos that live here are really down to earth, friendly and so nice. The Israeli's have been very welcoming and they love to practice their english.
I'd be happy to answer any specific quesitons you may have.

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 4:19 pm
Thanks. Are the Americans in Afula Ilit davening in Israeli Shuls or is there any type of American Shul that the Anglos come together to daven at on Shabbat ?

queen-b

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:13 am
amother Jean wrote:
Thanks. Are the Americans in Afula Ilit davening in Israeli Shuls or is there any type of American Shul that the Anglos come together to daven at on Shabbat ?

Sorry for the delayed response. Our family davens in an Israeli sefardi shul and we are very happy with it. There is an ashkenazi Israeli shul that many of the anglos daven at in Illit. There was an anglo shul but I think it has become mainly Israeli, I asked a friend who davens there what it's like now and I'm waiting to hear her resonse. I will update with more informaiton.

My friend said that there are currently 14 anglo families davening in the shul with the american rav but his drashas are in hebrew because he seems to be catering to the Israeli presence.
I am not sure how many anglos are davening at the other ashkenazi shul but I can find out if anyone wants to know.

Last edited by queen-b on Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:51 am
amother Jean wrote:

Just curious what's the difference between an Israeli shul and an American shul?

queen-b

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:56 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Just curious what's the difference between an Israeli shul and an American shul?

That's a good question. Maybe someone elso can answer better because I'm not 100 percent sure but my thought is that maybe an American rav with a predominantly anglo presence?

ray family

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:14 am
I’m not in Afula, but in my neighborhood the Rav speaks in English, as opposed to an Israeli shuk where the rav would give his drasha in Hebrew
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions