Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Alternative to false whipping cream/and real whipping cream
Previous  1  2

HooRYou

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:20 pm
A couple of things to try. they are different so you might want to see which one works best for what you need it for.

The first one is nut cream. I make it Pesach time and use it for filling cakes and garnish. Probably the best nut to use would be cashews, but I make it with almonds. I don't have the recipe in front of me but basically you take about a cup of nuts and put in a small amount of water, sometime like a couple fo TBLs, just enough to enable the whole thing to process in a blender. Process the nuts and water until it is as smooth as possible. Add sweetener to taste. I have also added a spoon of cocoa and extra sugar for a chocolate filling. It is very yummy.

The other thing you could try is to whip up silken tofu, possibly with water or soy milk (or even regular milk if you want milchig) and sweeten to taste. A note of caution if you want pareve I think some silken tofu is packaged with something that makes it dairy. If the silken tofu comes out too smooth or watery try regular tofu instead. I used to make mousse with regular tofu since I liked the texture better.

egam

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:22 pm
Tamiri wrote:
egam wrote:
My DH's favorite breakfast - raw eggs with bread.

I'll pass. It's the bread that's unappealing LOL

It's homemade bread, made of whole wheat, rye and some white flour.

DenaP

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 1:01 pm
I know this is going to sound stupid, but are you sure there isn't cream? Growing up, I knew which was the right cream because it was called whipping cream or heavy cream. But in Israel it's cooking cream, chosen by the percentage of fat (35%, I think). I can't imagine any shop not carrying it!

There's a product called Vance's DariFree Potato milk. it has an OU hechsher, it's parve, and you can use it to make a dairy-free cream. I never tried it, but I seem to recall that it used oil. The recipe was on their website. Go to their website and check it out. It's an excellent product. It comes in powder form, which means you can easily store a large quantity, and it tastes much nicer than rice or soy milk, IMO.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 3:56 pm
Here are a couple of things to try. They are slightly different so so which if any works for you.

The first one is something I make for Pesach, it is nut cream. Take a cup of nuts (I use almonds for Pesach but if you made it with raw cashews it would be even better). Put the nuts in a blender and add enough water to be alble to process the nuts smooth and creamy. Sweeten to taste and add vanilla if esired (or available) then start your blender. I have also made it with cocoa added and extra sugar. It is yummy and on Peasch I use ot to fill roll cakes or as a garnish.

You could also try blended silken tofu with sweetener added to taste. It is very smooth though. If it is too loose for your taste you could try firmer tofu instead and add water as needed.

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 4:32 pm
Dena, thank you but really there is no cream here, I looked and I asked store owners, they won't carry it because not enough people buy it, everyone is buying the pareve stuff.

The only place to get it is to order it from a supplier, which it looks like I will be doing.

Thank you everyone for your advice though, I just wanted to check and make sure that there was no other choice

sarahzeldman

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 7:14 am
Tofu Whipped Cream:

2 packages silken tofu (mori nu brand -- in the aseptic packages)
3/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 tsp teaspoon seasalt
1 tbsp good quality vanilla
2 tablespoons almond butter

Whip in blender, chill in fridge to firm up

MOE

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:15 am
u can make somthing called an italian marangue
first whip egg whites to a soft peak stage while doing this add equall parts water to sugar ....heat it to a soft candy stage u need a thermometer for that, while whipping the egg whites again at the slowest speed start to add the sugar water to the egg whites once u have added all the sugar water increase the speed and mix until the mixture cool u do this by checking the bottom of the mixing bowl.
now u have italian marangue which is a healthy alternative to whip cream as well you heat the egg whites with the heated sugar
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen