Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much to share with boss
Previous  1  2

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 7:21 am
Speaking from the boss’s side, always try to give advance notice. When you know you’ll be out, he should know. If it’s an emergency and you have to leave you have no choice but if it’s at all possible don’t text in the morning to say I’ll be late or I’m not coming in. You can say it’s a medical appointment without giving details. If your supervisor asks there’s no need to be rude and say none of your business. You can say you’d rather not discuss it and leave it at that.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:32 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I'm in management at work. If people just leave early or come late or don't show up and don't expalin, it makes a bad impression. But we really don't need details.

- I have a medical appt (no need to explain what specialty or for what reason, or if it is an emergency appt or if you made it three months ago. Can cover everything from a real dr appt, dentist, therapist, speech therapy for your kid, etc.).
- I apologize, a sudden personal emergency came up and I will need to leave early (no details about the type of emergency necessary, can be for medical emergency, kid got sick at school, etc)
- I need to take a sick day today (if you or your child is sick. No need to explain you're having pregnancy issues or what the illness is or whatever)

I sometimes ask if everything is ok, but that is because I care, not because I am prying for details.

If you do want to give your boss a little more information, that is ok too. Your kid has to go to the dentist, you have a stomach virus, an appointment suddenly opened up to renew your passport, your kid has a fever, whatever, those things are fine too.

Best is to let us know in advance if possible, and if it is is something urgent or unexpected to just tell us what to expect (I have to leave now for a personal emergency, I won't be able to work today but hopefully will be back tomorrow and will update you if that changes. Or I'm out sick today, I hope to be back later this week and I will let you know when I am better and coming in or if I am working from home or not).

Thanks! You see, that's what I would do. Ok, I'm glad that is not considered oversharing...socially off etc

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:13 pm
I tell my boss when I have to leave early. If it's sudden he will usually be concerened and ask of everything is ok. He knows my family and asks about them. So I tell him when there is nothing to hide. He is extremely supportive.

I tell my husband that just asking for time off to leave early or come in late may not be approved. But saying "I need to come in late because of a grandchilds bris" is more likely to be approved. So sometimes a little info is helpful.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics