Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is your money saving hack?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:04 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Wherever you find cleaning ladies in your neighborhood. They do what you train them to do. It doesn’t have to be only deep cleaning.

this

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:17 pm
I don’t buy snack bags
Instead I pop fresh popcorn every evening
They each can take a huge gallon size baggie filled very economically
My kids have become gourmet popcorn makers adding different spices
All their friends go crazy
Cocoa
Cinnamon and sugar
Spicy sweet
Spicy savory (my favorite) with Badia tropical complete seasoning
plain salt which is also good.

The kids take popcorn, a fruit, and a veg, if I bake something they can also take.

I pop on the stove top but you can get a machine for cheap
I just like the taste better

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:18 pm
Yeah. My mother made us clean up for the cleaning lady Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I never do. You teach them to do what you want them to do with their time. For me it’s, wash random things in the sink, clean up toys , fold laundry. It doesn’t need to only be bathrooms and floors.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Agreed, dropping cleaning help just saves so much cash!!

And my kids help out a lot also. The 2 year old can pick up toys and put them away in the boxes. The 5 year old takes shmatta and spray and cleans tables, chairs, cabinets etc. My 9 year old vacuums the bedrooms and swiffers the kitchen and living room/dining room.
I do the heavy duty stuff like cleaning the bathroom and kitchen.
Dh works long hours so can't do much but he helps with laundry, changing linens, cleaning up after shabbos etc. He also does the baths/bedtime routine at night so I have free time to clean up

I have a points contest with my kids and they earn rewards for helping. Much much cheaper than a cleaning lady and I believe it's such good chinuch!
It's funny cuz my son recently earned a box of 96 crayons and a kid in his class told him he is spoiled. So my son explained that he is NOT spoiled and he needed to earn 30 points to get it.

Would you mind sharing the points system?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:32 pm
we don;t pay for anyting we can do ourselves. a plumber, yes. touch up painting, no. our own cleaning and cooking and shopping, yes. look for bargains and sales. it's fun!

for the record, im sure ppl with cleaning help have much cleaner homes that I do. my standards are lower.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 1:58 pm
My cleaning lady does laundry, straightening up, dishes. I have her do more deep cleaning jobs either when I am away shabbos so my house is cleaner or when I'm away. Next week she'll be doing my ovens, refrigerator, freezer, silver, walls and doors, windows, etc.

Sunflower11

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:01 pm
My hack is getting off brand items. In Walmart for example, great value sugar is just as good as Domino, just a quarter of the price

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:45 pm
Sunflower11 wrote:
My hack is getting off brand items. In Walmart for example, great value sugar is just as good as Domino, just a quarter of the price

A quarter of the price??? How so?

effess

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 2:51 pm
Instead of going on unaffordable vacations, visit family oot.
What’s the activity and attractions there? Play together

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:03 pm
effess wrote:
Instead of going on unaffordable vacations, visit family oot.
What’s the activity and attractions there? Play together

I am the out of town relative. I used to host people until I realized that I was spending my weekly food budget on just shabbos. It was getting to expensive.

I would never invite myself over to anyone for vacation.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:05 pm
What free activities can I do with my preteen dd? She is bored om Sundays. All fun Sunday activities are expensive. I spend all Sunday listening to her kvetch.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
What free activities can I do with my preteen dd? She is bored om Sundays. All fun Sunday activities are expensive. I spend all Sunday listening to her kvetch.

Can she run something for younger kids with a friend and keep the money she earns?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:19 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Can she run something for younger kids with a friend and keep the money she earns?

Thanks. She tried that. No one signed up

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Thanks. She tried that. No one signed up

Is there someone running a club for younger kids she could help out with ?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:33 pm
amother Coffee wrote:

My area (nyc) has culture pass work access to lots of cultural sites and museums for free. We also have and keep a list of free attractions. Mommy Poppins has lots of ideas for lots of cities (not just nyc)

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 3:39 pm
Buying clothing at the end of the season for the next year -- especially big ticket items like coats. Also, there's no shame in accepting clothing hand me down items from friends and local community chat groups. I've been on both of the receiving end, and B"H more recently on the giving end, and when things are done respectfully, everyone benefits.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics