Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
HF ASD- what support do you get and where do you live?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
This is not necessarily true. Maybe with some agencies that would be the case but not with all. My son has been getting services since preschool and continued in school. He's now in 4th grade and I never had to pay a penny to any therapist or agency. The bcba is extremely on top of his therapies and coordinates all therapies with the school. Op, if your looking into lakewood definitely do your research as some agencies are better then others but I don't think the above post can be said for all agencies.

Thanks. Do you mind to share which agency?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If OP wants her son mainstreamed a Lakewood class is what 28 boys on average? That is way too big for a kid like OPs. So even if you can figure out the therapies for a kid who does not naturally get social cues and social skills I dont see how you can really learn in such a big class.

He’s in the same setup now.

His social skills are very decent. The kids love him bh. They call him the legend.

Academic is another story.

He’s out most of day for therapy and tutoring.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
What does this mean? Private insurance?

out of network benefits- horizon bcbs typically. only available thru an employer( or if u work for boe)
it's pretty expensive and there's 8k a year out of network deductible in addition. some aba agencies will waive part of it, other none. thatthe only insurance worth anything in this town for asd- ontop of the 8k you will need to pay discrepancies in let's say ot Bills 165 a session insurance pays 137 for 45 min ect...and floortime is not covered.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:47 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Psa: NYC is the best place for children with disabilities to get help. There are many frum school choices, opwdd (respite daily, shabbatons, comhab, extracurricular lessons, money reimbursement for toys, clothing etc), after school, Sunday, holiday programs. Every therapy you can think of for free. Diapers and supplies through insurance
I live in Brooklyn

For high functioning?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:57 pm
My experience is that most kids with ASD struggle a lot socially. So if you don't you can disregard my advice.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Whether this helps or not depends on how highfunctioning the child is. ABA therapy is not the recommended model for high functioning ASD.

Aba is what the agencies get reimbursed well for, so that is the service they provide the most. I know there's one that does floortime. Some will also provide other therapies

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
out of network benefits- horizon bcbs typically. only available thru an employer( or if u work for boe)
it's pretty expensive and there's 8k a year out of network deductible in addition. some aba agencies will waive part of it, other none. thatthe only insurance worth anything in this town for asd- ontop of the 8k you will need to pay discrepancies in let's say ot Bills 165 a session insurance pays 137 for 45 min ect...and floortime is not covered.

Floortime is covered with Medicaid insurance

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Floortime is covered with Medicaid insurance

correct, she was asking about out of network benefits which is on a commercial insurance health plan. either child is on commercial or Medicaid. there are pro's and cons to both as neither cover all expenses.
(only if you are below 147% can be on both)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 4:27 am
amother Catmint wrote:
correct, she was asking about out of network benefits which is on a commercial insurance health plan. either child is on commercial or Medicaid. there are pro's and cons to both as neither cover all expenses.
(only if you are below 147% can be on both)

Thanks for explaining.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 4:27 am
Regarding Yeshiva Kochava Ohr I looked online but I don’t see any information.

rrlavona

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 4:33 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
I'm another HFASD mother in Israel. Before you move, contact Chaim Vechesed about best schooling options. It could well be that you are best off in or near yerushalayim for help for your son.

Thank you so much 💖
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)