Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Pidyon haben
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:40 am
My brother in law was separated at the time of his son's pidyon haben, they have since divorced. He made a party in his house for family and friends and the kohen. The baby does not need to be there.

The baby and mom were invited but they lived out of town and mom had a very hard birth and was still recovering.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:16 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
My brother in law was separated at the time of his son's pidyon haben, they have since divorced. He made a party in his house for family and friends and the kohen. The baby does not need to be there.

The baby and mom were invited but they lived out of town and mom had a very hard birth and was still recovering.

This is a AYLOR situation, if the baby actually needs to be there or not

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:19 am
amother Amber wrote:
I don't know the situation but maybe the Rabbi could tell him that if he need to give the Get before the Pidyon Haben?

The get has nothing to do with the pidyon, it’s totally irrelevant. And I agree with the other poster who mentioned that it has not been nearly enough time to call anyone a “get refuser”. Divorces take time, especially when there’s a child and custody to consider. My parents took close to 5 years to divorce, with all the back and forth and negotiations. My father was not a get refuser. Things like this just don’t happen overnight

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 10:25 am
amother Aster wrote:
This is a AYLOR situation, if the baby actually needs to be there or not

It's not an AYLOR situation - it's a straight out Halacha, there's a way to do a Pidyon without the baby present. Unless the AYLOR is about how to do it. Not, can it be done.

I remember reading in the book about Lieutenant Birnbaum, that he had a friend who was drafted to fight in WWII, and his wife was pg. A Rav advised him how to do a Pidyon Haben while away, in case his wife has a boy. He did, and BH he also survived to come back and raise his son....

essie14

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:19 pm
There was at least 1 chayal who did a pidyon haben from the battlefield, over FaceTime, during this current war. The baby was obviously not there.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:22 pm
Baby doesn’t must be there. DH grandfather was a soldier in the army and he made a pidyan haben without his son there.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:27 pm
essie14 wrote:
There was at least 1 chayal who did a pidyon haben from the battlefield, over FaceTime, during this current war. The baby was obviously not there.

I saw a video of that! May he return home to his wife and son and whole family in good health

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Baby doesn’t must be there. DH grandfather was a soldier in the army and he made a pidyan haben without his son there.

If that’s the case then the father of the baby should do a pidyon haben without making a Seuda/party.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 6:46 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
If that’s the case then the father of the baby should do a pidyon haben without making a Seuda/party.

Why? Why should he miss out on celebrating a huge mitzvah, one that is usually not possible to celebrate. Why shouldnt he have his son there, and anyone else he wants to invite to celebrate with him?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:04 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Why? Why should he miss out on celebrating a huge mitzvah, one that is usually not possible to celebrate. Why shouldnt he have his son there, and anyone else he wants to invite to celebrate with him?

He’s not missing out on the mitzvah

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:04 pm

Wonder if we share a grandfather. He was a soldier in the korean war and had won a golden watch that day.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Aster wrote:

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Wonder if we share a grandfather. He was a soldier in the korean war and had won a golden watch that day.

Yes.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:

And he used that watch for the pidyan haben.

Hi cousin. Smile

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:41 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
He’s not missing out on the mitzvah

No, he’d just be missing out on celebrating it (like I said..)

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:51 pm
And he used that watch for the pidyan haben.

Hi cousin. Smile

Hi cousins! Mine too Smile didn’t expect my cousins to be on here honestly

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:58 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:

Same. Lol.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:59 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:

We’re such a big family bh. So Bh our IDs are safe.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:02 pm
We’re such a big family bh. So Bh our IDs are safe.

I’m a granddaughter. I’m honestly tempted to make a spin off to see how many of us are her Smile

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:03 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
I’m a granddaughter. I’m honestly tempted to make a spin off to see how many of us are her Smile

I’m a granddaughter thru marriage.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics