Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Really weird question

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:42 pm
I’m genuinely curious, why do people wear pre tied tichels on their wig?

ddmom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m genuinely curious, why do people wear pre tied tichels on their wig?

They find it pretty ?
Or they have a minhag to have 2 head coverings?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:45 pm
It's a style. Like a bandanna on top of your hair.

I don't like the look but it's not the weirdest thing I have seen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:51 pm
ddmom wrote:
They find it pretty ?
Or they have a minhag to have 2 head coverings?

I was thinking that. But then again, people who usually cover with two coverings cover with a hat, band, or wear a Shpitzel.

I’m asking because suddenly I see people doing that and it doesn’t really look the best. I’ve seen people in real life, in adds for different stores. So that’s why I was wondering.

These people in general, their community covers with one layer. (I know from seeing that adds for the stores and where they are located.)

Because I also think it’s maaras ayin. Yes married people know they have a wig under the tichel but other people might think she has her hair out from under.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:52 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
It's a style. Like a bandanna on top of your hair.

I don't like the look but it's not the weirdest thing I have seen.

Bandana is one thing. It’s not long like tichel strings and it covered the top of the wig.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was thinking that. But then again, people who usually cover with two coverings cover with a hat, band, or wear a Shpitzel.

I’m asking because suddenly I see people doing that and it doesn’t really look the best. I’ve seen people in real life, in adds for different stores. So that’s why I was wondering.

These people in general, their community covers with one layer. (I know from seeing that adds for the stores and where they are located.)

Because I also think it’s maaras ayin. Yes married people know they have a wig under the tichel but other people might think she has her hair out from under.

But we don’t cover our hair for other people. Other people don’t need to be able to tell if our hair is covered or not.

peace2

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:14 pm
It's a style... not so different than wearing a beanie over a fall. Some people like the look and some don't. I don't think it's an issue of maaras ayin any more than wearing a beanie or baseball cap on top of a fall. If you know what a fall is, you won't assume they're not fully covering

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:17 pm
peace2 wrote:
It's a style... not so different than wearing a beanie over a fall. Some people like the look and some don't. I don't think it's an issue of maaras ayin any more than wearing a beanie or baseball cap on top of a fall. If you know what a fall is, you won't assume they're not fully covering
but it looks good when people wearing a beanie or a baseball cap. It doesn’t look weird or eewww.

scruffy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
but it looks good when people wearing a beanie or a baseball cap. It doesn’t look weird or eewww.

Weird is just a matter of what you're used to seeing.

What do you mean by eewww here?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:19 pm
scruffy wrote:
Weird is just a matter of what you're used to seeing.

What do you mean by eewww here?

Meaning it doesn’t look nice. It’s like what were they thinking.

peace2

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

Okay that's your opinion. One of my friends calls it the pirate look so she wears other things on her fall. I personally don't wear it cuz it's hard to make it look good without showing a lot of hair but I think the short kerchiefs are kinda cute.
It's also a lot about what you're used to. I've had non-frum people tell me to take my hat off when I was wearing a beanie indoors and it made me realize that it's kinda weird that we wear snow hats all day but it's normal in our culture so we think it looks cute

scruffy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

Same as above. There are lots of styles I don't get that other people like. Like I think bloomers on a baby just looks like a big scrunchy diaper. But it's someone else's taste

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:36 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is the exact same idea as someone wearing a hat fall. Hat, with hair coming out under.

Per my Rav, the mitzvah of covering hair has nothing at all to do with letting people know we are covering. It may look perfectly natural, and an outsider may genuinely believe its your real hair, lechatchila.
The purpose of covering is to physically conceal the sensual ruach that is present on a married woman's hair.

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:57 pm
I really don't like it either. I wear a colourful satin scarf tied bandana style over my fall, but a pre tied tichel just looks so random to me. Like putting pjs on top of your clothing. To each their own.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

You don't have to like it 🤷‍♀️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels