Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Prepping almost 4yo for new sibling

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:41 am
If you have a nearly 4 year age gap between children, anything to know to prep child for new sibling? Ours is an only, and a very sensitive, attached child, so maybe that makes a difference. In the past she's gotten very upset when I held another baby, but I'm hoping she will grow out of it by then.

I already told DH we'll probably need to arrange a regular time daily for him to take the newborn so I could spend time with the older. I'm thinking to present it as if it's "her" baby too, and try to involve her as much as possible, if she seems to enjoy being involved.

I appreciate any practical tips!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:50 am
I don't have that exact age gap, but buy your daughter a nice doll, complete with changes of clothing, diapers, bottles, etc. Whenever you take care of your baby, she can emulate you with her own baby.
Bshaah Tova!

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:59 am
There are some great books. We love I'm a Big Sister https://a.co/d/3dQKGCG and I Am a Big Sister (Caroline Jayne Church) https://a.co/d/c1eyRfd because they're both very positive only

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:16 am
We have a nearly 4-year-old age gap. First book Teachkids mentioned is really helpful.

My older child fell in love with his baby and still loves him so much.

The one thing that we did that was really important was never blaming the baby, especially in the beginning. Also, instead of baby gifts, we had everyone bring him a toy instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics