Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Native American
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:02 pm
honey36 wrote:
What is the reason the schools give for not allowing these costumes?

many schools (particularly in NYC, not sure where OP is located) have had their curriculum hugely impacts by critical race theory that is a pedagogy that came out universities and has trickled down to K-12 education (in addition to social justice goals in schools, generally).

the official reason given for students not dressing in costumes from a culture/ethnic group is that they are considered to be cultural appropriation... which if you are using a critical race theory lens has to do with oppressor/oppressed, colonizers, etc. etc. (all the ridiculous labels currently being thrown at Israel bc people on the left are using that lens)

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
We went to a native american exhibition where they sold costumes at the end. Why would they sell costumes if they found them offensive?

So a few years ago when the story of the kids with black face made it to the newspapers there were 2 groups of kids, one group was BLM and I agree that wasn't a good idea, the other group was actually wearing real African native clothes that were bought in (South) Africa from locals who are only too happy to sell them to tourists and take pride in the fact the others want to dress up like them. They think it's really cool especially cause they make $$$ in the process. But because of BLM it blew up in their faces.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 3:09 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Well he wouldn’t be wearing one randomly. But also none of the toy costumes are actually accurate, so I don’t see how a bad copy is disrespectful.

That was his point:) It was a second grader asking about it.

I see his point—I’d probably be upset if a tricker treater came to someone dressed in skirts and tights with a shpitzel speaking in fake Yiddish.

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
many schools (particularly in NYC, not sure where OP is located) have had their curriculum hugely impacts by critical race theory that is a pedagogy that came out universities and has trickled down to K-12 education (in addition to social justice goals in schools, generally).

the official reason given for students not dressing in costumes from a culture/ethnic group is that they are considered to be cultural appropriation... which if you are using a critical race theory lens has to do with oppressor/oppressed, colonizers, etc. etc. (all the ridiculous labels currently being thrown at Israel bc people on the left are using that lens)

Are they also not allowed to dress up as a Jewish rebbe/rabbi? (Long beard, black hat and frock)

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:13 pm
amother Oak wrote:
That was his point:) It was a second grader asking about it.

I see his point—I’d probably be upset if a tricker treater came to someone dressed in skirts and tights with a shpitzel speaking in fake Yiddish.

I actually would think this to be a cute costume if done just for fun (not to MAKE fun). Why would you be upset?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:17 pm
honey36 wrote:
I actually would think this to be a cute costume if done just for fun (not to MAKE fun). Why would you be upset?

Because unless people look up to the people they’re dressing as, it’s usually some sort of mocking. So when people look up to sports players and dress like that, it’s with admiration. With Jews, much less so. It’s an oddity, not an inspiration.

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:27 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Because unless people look up to the people they’re dressing as, it’s usually some sort of mocking. So when people look up to sports players and dress like that, it’s with admiration. With Jews, much less so. It’s an oddity, not an inspiration.

Im not so sure it would be for mocking. Perhaps they don't necessarily admire Jews, but just wanted a cute and creative costume. Same reason a Jew would dress up as a native american or Chinese or whatever for Purim. It's not like we're aspiring to be these cultures, but it's not mocking either.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:58 pm
honey36 wrote:
Are they also not allowed to dress up as a Jewish rebbe/rabbi? (Long beard, black hat and frock)

At my school that would be equally problematic and not allowed.

If you mean "they" as in kids dressing up for Purim being seen by non-Jews passing through, no-- I don't think someone on the outside observing that would interpret it as problematic. The non-Jews driving through on Purim know it is a Jewish holiday and would see that as Jewish kids dressing up as Jews.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:59 pm
We did this costume a few years ago with feathers in the hair and bright colors on the face like we see in the images of Native Americans.

For MM we gave two containers stacked on top of each other with corn salad and three bean salad. The containers were wrapped in an open weave burlap mesh tied with raffia twine. Got great feedback on the whole setup.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Oak wrote:

No it’s not.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Oak wrote:

I totally don't see it like this.

It's just a day to not be you. Why does it have to be mocking?

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:20 pm
Go ahead, op. You're not making fun at all.
I would suggest corn muffins in your mm. And anything else corn-related. That's basically the only grain they used. Different tribes ate different protein sources depending on where they lived, but maybe something fish-related would work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:22 pm
I’m half laughing half crying (mildly horrified?) at where the world is nowadays. This isn’t about any of you. It’s just that there can be such a potential problem and dressing up can’t just be dressing up… no strings attached.

I miss the simple days!

What would you suggest for a kids mm.. where they want to stick to the theme but practically Want to give candy

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 5:59 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m half laughing half crying (mildly horrified?) at where the world is nowadays. This isn’t about any of you. It’s just that there can be such a potential problem and dressing up can’t just be dressing up… no strings attached.

I miss the simple days!

What would you suggest for a kids mm.. where they want to stick to the theme but practically Want to give candy

Candy corn

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:42 am
amother Pewter wrote:
So what if you're not trying to offend someone? If you know that it's offensive and you do it anyway, you're showing you don't respect Native Americans.

My father is a Ger. We actually come from a Native American ancestry. I feel no connection to the tribe and wouldn’t even know about it , but my father did research on his family history. My children dressed up like Native Americans and even applied dark toned makeup to their faces. My father found it very cool and he happens to be a full blown liberal. It’s not offensive . People need to stop turning everything into an offense.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:52 am
amother Green wrote:
My father is a Ger. We actually come from a Native American ancestry. I feel no connection to the tribe and wouldn’t even know about it , but my father did research on his family history. My children dressed up like Native Americans and even applied dark toned makeup to their faces. My father found it very cool and he happens to be a full blown liberal. It’s not offensive . People need to stop turning everything into an offense.

That’s very cool! ITA.

My cousin dressed up as an Indian one year and her Indian neighbor helped buy a sari and apply the dot and jewelry correctly. She looked amazing.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:05 am
sushilover wrote:
I spoke to some native Americans in New Mexico who were bemoaning the fact that their livelihood is impacted because people are too scared to buy their authentic clothes and headdresses.

Both sides are biased. The ones I met are trying to sell their product (clothing). The one you met is trying to sell her product (victimization).

I really don’t think that an Amazon Native American costume is financially benefiting a naice American in New Mexico. They’re hardly authentic. That’s not to mention it’s a generic Native American costume that doesn’t really represent any tribe, there are hundreds of tribes and everyone just wears a headdress and calls it a day. No one is dressing up as Navajo or Pawnee or Iroquois it’s just Native American or better yet Indian

None of us here can speak for these people but in American culture at large it’s considered offensive and would be a chilul Hashem. That’s enough.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics