Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
So worried and confused about Dd15
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:28 pm
I'm a therapist.

If it's true that she's never had mental health symptoms before, including excessive anxiety or excessive hyperness, or any new trauma. And she's basically functioning for now.

Do not take her to therapy or put her on psychotropic medication!

I'm a big believer in therapy. And medication definitely helps many people.

But here you have a different problem. By all indications, there's something physical going on causing the psychological issues.

But once you start treating it as a psychological issue, it will become a psychological issue. Yes, people who do not have psychological issues can acquire them from unwarranted therapy and medication.

I'm saying this only in this case according to details you gave. This is not what I would tell most mothers. If there were any pre-existing indications or trauma, or if she's not functioning, then therapy or psychotropic medication might be necessary.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:31 pm
PANDAS?

"The best treatment for acute episodes of PANDAS is to treat the strep infection causing the symptoms, if it is still present, with antibiotics. A throat culture should be done to document the presence of strep bacteria in the throat."

Did they do any craft projects in school involving paints or solvents?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 3:44 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I'm a therapist.

If it's true that she's never had mental health symptoms before, including excessive anxiety or excessive hyperness, or any new trauma. And she's basically functioning for now.

Do not take her to therapy or put her on psychotropic medication!

I'm a big believer in therapy. And medication definitely helps many people.

But here you have a different problem. By all indications, there's something physical going on causing the psychological issues.

But once you start treating it as a psychological issue, it will become a psychological issue. Yes, people who do not have psychological issues can acquire them from unwarranted therapy and medication.

I'm saying this only in this case according to details you gave. This is not what I would tell most mothers. If there were any pre-existing indications or trauma, or if she's not functioning, then therapy or psychotropic medication might be necessary.

Thanks. This resonates with me.

She has never had any mental/ emotional issues before this. In fact, I used to privately admire her equilibrium and good sense.

She is fragile now, and therapy and/ or medication would cause her tremendous anxiety.

And thanks, Dolly Welsh. I'm hoping that doing extensive labwork will help rule that out.

rubyred

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:08 pm
I would repeat labs including blood count, iron panel, and thyroid panel. It’s been 3 months. Some doctors just look for anemia without specifically looking for iron deficiency. You can give her B vitamins and magnesium to help with mood. I would also check for strep infection especially since she recently had a dental procedure.

I would also ask her straight out if you haven’t already if she has been a victim of abuse.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:40 pm
Please have her eat some good quality steak, beef. With the fat. Cut into strips and fried, braised. Not much seasoning, just garlic and black pepper.

I have a sense she is very thin. Might be wrong. You didn't say that.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:48 pm
Did she take/is she on accutane?

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:51 pm
I developed an autoimmune disorder pretty suddenly and it affected my mental health very much. If you do bloodwork I recommend a functional dr look at it not just a traditional doctor. They read the bloodwork differently. My functional dr said the norm bloodwork is compared to is the range of ppl in The usa-the majority of who have some kind of health issue or at least less than optimal health. also went on a whole food diet under his recommendation and am feeling so much better!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. This resonates with me.

She has never had any mental/ emotional issues before this. In fact, I used to privately admire her equilibrium and good sense.

She is fragile now, and therapy and/ or medication would cause her tremendous anxiety.

And thanks, Dolly Welsh. I'm hoping that doing extensive labwork will help rule that out.

Psychiatric treatment would likely cause her to shift her identity into someone battling a mental health issue. That's not what she needs.

I'll explain further. Many psychiatric symptoms are experienced as physical symptoms. For example, someone's heart might start to race, and they will interpret that as anxiety. They will then begin to question what their anxious about , and perhaps will decide their anxious about a test. Now they feel really anxious about this test. After all, their heart is racing because of it! That's the type of cycle people can get into when they mistake physical symptoms for psychiatric symptoms.

Your daughter might have started to cry. The immediate responses, why am I crying? Whatever answer to that question will create a bigger problem than whatever was there in the first place.

You want to reassure your daughter that she can have feelings or sensations and they don't mean there's a bigger problem or a psychological issue. Theoretically, a therapist could do a good job of this. Realistically speaking, they will most likely mess up.

I am not saying that mental health issues aren't real. They are real! But sometimes you might see them when they're not there. And that can cause issues.

liz3210

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:13 pm
Did you try going to therapy maybe she just needs someone to talk too. maybe she is having some type of panic attacks that make her feel down.
Also taking her out sitting in a nice place getting some sunshine can help.
don't hurry to medicate her especially if she doesn't want to take it could make her feel worst.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:48 pm
I found your input very helpful. There's alot for me to work through.

My plan is to call a referral agency tomorrow, and get her to a good Dr. Still not sure whether standard MD, endocrinologist, or what, but hopefully agency will guide me.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 6:39 pm
Op you're such a good mom.and your daughter is lucky to have you, hatzlacha figuring this out, I agree with other posters im terms of medical checkup blood work functional dr..

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 6:45 pm
Save your time and money and go straight to a functional doctor
You can chase down every professional and they won't look at the whole picture.
Root canal is a HUGE red flag over here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:10 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Save your time and money and go straight to a functional doctor
You can chase down every professional and they won't look at the whole picture.
Root canal is a HUGE red flag over here.

I'm a rather mainstream- medical- type, but in this case, I can see that functional medicine might offer more insight.

I'm clueless though. Could you recommend a practitioner?

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:16 pm
I did not read all the posts
Sorry if this was said already
About 20 yrs ago there was a boy in our community that went from the life of the party to completely depressed in bed.
Nothing helped until the source was found
It was the topical acne medication
As soon as he stopped, within 3-4 days he was up from bed.
Within 2 weeks he was back to his normal self .

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm a rather mainstream- medical- type, but in this case, I can see that functional medicine might offer more insight.

You're not looking for a naturopath. You're looking for an integrative/Functional doctor. It's actually a specialty. It may even have a board certification. Unfortunately it's not covered by insurance but very worth it.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:24 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
I’m not an expert, but that sounds unusual. I suffered from depression as a teen, but it built up over months (or maybe years). It also sounds like you’re throwing pills at it without exploring therapy or looking at other options, which for me would be a first step.

Can you do a full work up to see if there’s a medical cause? After that, I’d schedule an appointment with an experienced therapist. Don’t force the pills, but do let her know that you have them in case she changes her mind.

Was going to write similar to this. Why was she prescribed pills without evaluations?

And, wouldn't hurt to do blood work on iron, etc as well...

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:34 pm
Test her for celiac. My friend was like this as a teen and that’s what she had. Make sure they do the real test not just the standard blood test.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Test her for celiac. My friend was like this as a teen and that’s what she had. Make sure they do the real test not just the standard blood test.

Wow, celiac actually runs in the family. I hadn't thought of that possibility.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 8:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

Ifm.org
They're board certified
Any good functional doctor will examine all possible root causes and order all the tests mentioned here. They'll do hair and saliva testing, specialty blood tests (whatever lyme test your pediatrician did, it wasn't sensitive enough)
It costs money but you'll get an answer quicker

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:02 pm
https://link.springer.com/arti.....545-z
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics