Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
3 day yontif? I’m confused
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:28 am
Can someone explain Thursday-Monday?
When do I hear megillah? When does fast start/stop? What’s going on and when? 😂

scruffy

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:29 am
The fast is on Thursday and ends 50 minutes after the zman (or whatever you hold for fasts in general)

Megillah is on Motzaei Shabbos and Sunday.

hotpretzel

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:30 am
Fast is Thursday
Megilla is motzei shabbos and Sunday morning
Purim is Sunday
Shushan purim is monday

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:30 am
Monday is in Jerusalem, not US (don’t know where your located so just clarifying)

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:34 am
Thursday - Ta'anit Esther
Friday - nothing (erev Shabbos)
Shabbos - Parshat Zachor
Motzei Shabbos/Sunday - Purim
Sunday night /Monday - Shushan Purim
Tuesday - Pesach cleaning!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:36 am
It hardly ever happens like this. Things are changed because of shabbos. I remember when it happened 14 years ago because I had a baby right before Purim so that particular year stays on my mind.
I also remember when it happened like this 30(!) years ago because something significant was happening in my life right then (Thurs- Mon). It wasn’t a good thing that was happening but I remember it was the exact set up as now. Very rare.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:57 am
Elfrida wrote:
Thursday - Ta'anit Esther
Friday - nothing (erev Shabbos)
Shabbos - Parshat Zachor
Motzei Shabbos/Sunday - Purim
Sunday night /Monday - Shushan Purim
Tuesday - Pesach cleaning!

Ewww you had to go ruin my mood and mention the cleaning!
I love Purim and Pesach but you had to go mention the evil C word.

(I do not believe in cleaning outlets or stealing other people’s help. Pretty sure Hashem is laughing at us as we go into a ridiculous tailspin)

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:09 am
Purim is 14 Adar as usual, which is Sunday.

Taanis Esther is supposed to be on 13 Adar, which is Shabbos. We can't fast on Shabbos so we fast earlier, on Thursday.

But everything else is the same as usual.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:14 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Purim is 14 Adar as usual, which is Sunday.

Taanis Esther is supposed to be on 13 Adar, which is Shabbos. We can't fast on Shabbos so we fast earlier, on Thursday.

But everything else is the same as usual.

What's unusual is having Parshat Zachor sandwiched between Ta'anit Esther and Purim. Normally that's the lead in to the whole of Purim. It sort of confuses your mind.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:14 am
Thank you to all responders! I saw someone posting on Instagram about Megillah Thursday night so I thought I was going crazy.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you to all responders! I saw someone posting on Instagram about Megillah Thursday night so I thought I was going crazy.

Technically, according to the Mishna, one could read then, but we don't hold that way.

Another reason to ignore Instagram!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:47 am
amother OP wrote:

OP, get yourself a good proper Jewish calendar for the entire year. It's essential. Instagram isn't to be believed for a single second.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:49 am
So interesting that Shabbos Zachor is after Taanis Esther

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:54 am
amother Black wrote:
It hardly ever happens like this. Things are changed because of shabbos. I remember when it happened 14 years ago because I had a baby right before Purim so that particular year stays on my mind.
I also remember when it happened like this 30(!) years ago because something significant was happening in my life right then (Thurs- Mon). It wasn’t a good thing that was happening but I remember it was the exact set up as now. Very rare.

The calendar falls out like this often enough. Last time was in 2017. Before that it fell this way in 2013, 2011, and 2010. I know this because when Purim is on Sunday, Pesach begins on Tuesday which is my least favorite because there seems to be so much less time to cook for the last days and it means that the fall Yom Tovim are Thurs, Fri, Sat which I hate because I suffer badly when I cannot wash my hair for 3 days.
Purim on Friday is the least common situation. Then Erev Pesach is on Shabbos. We get that next year.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:09 am
amother Pewter wrote:
Purim on Friday is the least common situation. Then Erev Pesach is on Shabbos. We get that next year.
Oufffff At wits end
I don't like it at all but who's asking us

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:50 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Ewww you had to go ruin my mood and mention the cleaning!
I love Purim and Pesach but you had to go mention the evil C word.

(I do not believe in cleaning outlets or stealing other people’s help. Pretty sure Hashem is laughing at us as we go into a ridiculous tailspin)

If you stole other peoples help you wouldnt be afraid of the evil C word, but then you might be afraid of the solemn YK word....

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:11 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
If you stole other peoples help you wouldnt be afraid of the evil C word, but then you might be afraid of the solemn YK word....

😂

Gotta love imamother.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:28 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
The calendar falls out like this often enough. Last time was in 2017. Before that it fell this way in 2013, 2011, and 2010. I know this because when Purim is on Sunday, Pesach begins on Tuesday which is my least favorite because there seems to be so much less time to cook for the last days and it means that the fall Yom Tovim are Thurs, Fri, Sat which I hate because I suffer badly when I cannot wash my hair for 3 days.

Oh Yay! I love that because I'm in Jerusalem means we get Purim Meshulash. So exciting!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:42 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Oh Yay! I love that because I'm in Jerusalem means we get Purim Meshulash. So exciting!

It also means we get a two day Yom Tov at the beginning of Pesach.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:47 pm
Elfrida wrote:
It also means we get a two day Yom Tov at the beginning of Pesach.

I miss 2 day Yomim Tovim so that's a plus for me as well Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics