Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help from organizations for middle class
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:23 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
To repeat what was mentioned on the other thread, posters have mistaken assumptions. Everyone gets it. Less needy kollel/chinuch families are offered help before more needy working families. It has nothing to do with need per se. Everyone recognizes that some working families can be poorer than kollel/ chinuch families.

Those sponsoring kollel/chinuch families do so because they want a share of the zechus in their learning and Torah teaching. That Yissaschar/Zevulon self interest motivates them to donate their hard earned money to subsidize chinuch/kollel families. It’s an investment, and an eternal one at that.

Sure poor working families are a good tzedaka cause, as are special needs kids, chai lifeline, and others. But comparing poor working families to kollel/ chinuch families based strictly on need and complaining about how donors choose to share their money, demanding to be prioritized over kollel/chinuch due to need is presumptuous and is comparing apples to oranges

I am very, very pro Torah learning and kollel, and I'm sorry but I don't agree with you.

Yes a talmud chacham gets priority (that is the halachah). But do we really have limited funds? NO WE DON'T!!! There is enough money in our community that every single family should have wine and matzah, and every single child should have enough socks and tights.

Do you want the zchus of Torah learning? Donate to BMG or your local kollel. This is for tzedakah, for the needy. I don't know which community everyone here lives, I think where I live (ihr hatorah) it doesn't work that way. They give to plenty of working people and singles, almanos...

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Btw my two year old will be wearing H&M shabbos shoes just saying

My 4 yr old got 3 hm dresses. Less than $50 total.
We are high income. But I have nothing to prove to ppl & she looks heaven.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:25 pm
Thank you hashem thank you hashem, someone called my husband that a matza bakery is offering a limited amount or matzah for a limited amount of time, for 1/2 the price, first come first serve. Bh we made it & got matzah for pesach.

aimhabanim

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you hashem thank you hashem, someone called my husband that a matza bakery is offering a limited amount or matzah for a limited amount of time, for 1/2 the price, first come first serve. Bh we made it & got matzah for pesach.

You should continue to see Hashem’s love for you in every aspect of your life and enjoy shefa bracha!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:44 pm
aimhabanim wrote:
You should continue to see Hashem’s love for you in every aspect of your life and enjoy shefa bracha!!!

Thank you

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:26 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Honestly, I wish there was a way that middle class families didnt always have to wait.

Our Rav was fighting with an organization to get us some gift cards for tights, shells, and shoes without holes.
It came out that low income kollel families take priority, even if theyre going away for the entire Pesach and having their entire matza, wine, meat covered by parents.
But they get clothing and shoes gift cards (to frum stores) and those of us barely making it middle class who go into debt for matza, wine, and chicken cant afford to buy tights and shoes.

I don’t know what community you’re in, but I know for a fact that many of those “ gift cards” people are referring to are actually discount cards- between 10-20% off at very specific stores, often allowing for 1 outfit per family member. Chasdei Lev is steeply discounted, which people do need to pay toward. They are definitely helpful, but not handouts.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
I don’t know what community you’re in, but I know for a fact that many of those “ gift cards” people are referring to are actually discount cards- between 10-20% off at very specific stores, often allowing for 1 outfit per family member. Chasdei Lev is steeply discounted, which people do need to pay toward. They are definitely helpful, but not handouts.

No they are actual gift cards. I know a bunch of kollel families that get them. There are a few clothing stores listed on the card and an amount, like $250. And you can spend up to that amount in the store of your choosing. Shoe cards are for about 70-80$

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:03 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
No they are actual gift cards. I know a bunch of kollel families that get them. There are a few clothing stores listed on the card and an amount, like $250. And you can spend up to that amount in the store of your choosing. Shoe cards are for about 70-80$

I was referring to the assistance for Chinuch families.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Here's another option for Williamsburg residents. I think there's a different number to call for other towns, not sure though.

Thank you for contacting Zeh Vzeh Nehene 2024 Williamsburg

Zeh Vzeh was created to assist the working class by providing store
coupons during seasons when expenses are extraordinary. Especially now
when dealing with pandemic and inflation crisis affecting a lot of
business. These coupons are redeemable at a big variety of stores,
providing discounts and savings to customers.

Please note, the coupons we currently have are for Williamsburg stores only.

“please be mindful of the store rules: COUPNS MUST BE PRINTED, And can
not be shown on a phone.”

To qualify, please provide the following:
Your name, address, phone number and email address for updates
Employer’s business name, contact name and phone number

Upon receipt, we will issue the coupons with your account number to
your email address. Please allow 24-48 hours to receive your coupons.

The Zeh Vzeh Team

Do you know someone who can benefit? Let him know to reach out to us!

-----------------------------------

FAQ

Q: Who is the the Zeh vzeh team?

A: The Zeh Vzeh team is a group of yingeliet who realized that with all the
organizations out there, the biggest part of Klal Yisroel- our working
class people living on their hard earned money, is missing out. Zeh
V'zeh does not profit from any of this; our expenses are covered by
sponsors.

Q: Is Zeh Vzeh funded by charity?

A: No, and therefore you should feel comfortable using it. Look at its
name ‘Zeh Vzeh Nehene’ the vendors are willing to give the discount so
they can get more customers.

Q: If I earn nicely and make ends meet, can I take advantage of the
discounts?

A: At this time this was created for the people to whom these
discounts will help
ease their burden, not just for leisure. That is what most store owners
agreed to, so we ask everyone to comply.

Q: Will my information be shared with anyone?

A: NO, the stores will only get an account number.

Q: Is there any way I can help?

A: Shop at these stores who show support to the working class in our
community. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Q: Is there anyone benefitting from this program?

A: Yes, you and hopefully the stores. Zeh Vzeh is not for profit.

Thanks for taking part in the Zeh Vzeh Nehene Program. Enjoy and save!

A Freilichen Yom Tov,

The Zeh Vzeh Team
718-569-7818

This was the coupons I was talking about I'm an earlier post.
10% with a bunch of terms and conditions that don't think will end up using anything

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:17 am
So we are one of these terrible chinuch families everyone keeps mentioning.

DH is a full time rebbi, Kollel for 2 hours in the afternoon and hours of tutoring at night. I am a preschool Morah in my daughter’s school and also tutor on weekends. We both work in full time summer jobs to cover summer expenses because we only get paid 10 months otherwise.

We do get Obamacare but make too much for foodstamps or the like. We pay close to $35K in tuition and that number is quickly rising as our kids enter HS/Beis Medrash etc. Yes, it is heavily discounted but still a huge amount for us. We have a child with special needs and one with learning difficulties who needs tutoring in order to just make it in the mainstream system.

This thread makes me feel so guilty.

For years we’ve debated whether or not to take the help offered to us. Some years we politely declined (like when our kids were younger and could be happy with children’s place Shabbos clothing), other years we take. This year we are taking. We live month to month and sometimes are behind a month or two.

It bothers me that my kids “look so good” - if I was paying for things myself I’d likely buy a bit simpler. But I can’t afford it right now.

Yes, I feel terrible for the middle class. I grew up that way too. I do think that most families in our area can get similar help if they asked for it. Because we are both in chinuch, it is just assumed that we need it. I feel bad for my kids to be wearing brand name shoes in front of my middle class neighbors. That’s what the tzedakos choose to offer.

But what exactly should I do about it?

Should we explain to everyone that we are not trying to raise the standard but can’t afford the “normal” clothing? Should I tell my kids we can’t get new clothing and decline the offer even though everyone in their immediate surroundings will have new? Should I only take what we absolutely need even though the way the system is set up, each of my kids will get new shoes and a new suit/outfit even if their old one still fits? Should I protest to the Tzedaka on your behalves? Should I ask chasdei lev if I can split my cost price order with some of neighbors?

I’m asking honestly, what would you hope I would do? I have been walking around with guilt about this for years.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:22 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Some organizations give out $85 cards for shoes

My friend gave me 2 cards a few years ago. I’ve been searching for those organizations the past few years. That would be a huge help.
Yes the coupons with 10% off are a joke..
There needs to be some more serious help. I have alot of anxiety about this season’s expenses. I haven’t even started shopping for anything yet.

Did you reach out to your children’s schools? I’ve gotten from more than school, so it seems like the schools are also being given cards and told to either give to staff or parents at their discretion. Have gotten both as a parent and as a teacher, but only 2 cards at a time, never for the whole family. As an aside, I don’t necessarily need them for everyone because for the little kids there are many options for shoes priced 40-60 and I only use the cards for older kids or those who are hard to fit.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:25 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:

Yes but to clarify- the clothing cards are usually 85 for kids and 250 for adults. Also shoe cards are not enough for almost any shoe so will still cost 25-45 a pair

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:30 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I’m not sure where this is coming from. Who are these mythical comfortable middle class kollel families who are living it up and raking in programs and yom tov freebies from donors to boot?

The average kollel and chinuch family is definitely in the needy category. Other than the few who are doing the PHD kollel lifestyle (Papa Has Dough) , the average kollel family struggles to pay bills, make simchas, cover therapies, and come up with tuitions. They don’t have retirement funds, and even simple chasunahs are completely beyond their means. They aren’t eating out every other week and living the comfortable life. Even a kollel wife with a good paying job is rarely bringing in enough to afford the basics of frum living.

The beef people have is that there are working people who are even MORE needy. They are complaining that those who are donating funds to help kollel families ought to donate to them instead. I understand their frustration but the sense of entitlement to dictate where donors should decide to allocate their funds is misplaced.

If anything the issue I see in Lakewood is that some people, including the working poor, are adept at gaming the system. They hustle to get from every possible resource; Ahavas Chessed and Tomchei and store leftovers and camp fund, and the local shul fund and solicit individual good hearted people as well as relatives while negotiating down tuitions to close to zero. They live far more comfortably than the truly needy who aren’t as aggressive in advocating for themselves.

Actually I think the issue is that many of the kollel families who only have very young kids and don’t need the extra help because little kids cost very little. They are also usually being supported and are easily able to manage. The middle class usually has multiple teenagers eating a ton and growing out of their clothing every few weeks with much higher tuition.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:36 am
Is anyone aware of resources in Baltimore? The only one I know is Ahavas Yisrael and it seems like they have a whole process for getting help, you can't just call randomly and ask for it.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 12:48 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Actually I think the issue is that many of the kollel families who only have very young kids and don’t need the extra help because little kids cost very little. They are also usually being supported and are easily able to manage. The middle class usually has multiple teenagers eating a ton and growing out of their clothing every few weeks with much higher tuition.

Agree with this. At the beginning the Kollel couple may be better off in certain ways. But as soon as the Kollel family grows up, especially if they have many kids, they are just as “poor” as the middle class poor in my opinion.

Don’t kill me, but I think in the long run the Kollel/chinuch families are still going to be worse off generally. They don’t usually have the ability, time or experience to pull off a side hustle or reap the dividends of salary raises once one becomes more experienced in his/her field. Even in the better paying yeshivos, our salaries are capped and there is little opportunity for administrative positions. Even if they have an easier time covering food and health insurance, they have no where to pull from later on.

Not that working people necessarily do either, I’m speaking generally. My friends who had very lean years while working and building businesses or experience in their fields are now doing better later on in life for various reasons. Some can even offer to support their kids somewhat and love a bit better now. It’s not so common in the chinuch world to be able to do that.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:15 am
amother Canary wrote:
So we are one of these terrible chinuch families everyone keeps mentioning.

DH is a full time rebbi, Kollel for 2 hours in the afternoon and hours of tutoring at night. I am a preschool Morah in my daughter’s school and also tutor on weekends. We both work in full time summer jobs to cover summer expenses because we only get paid 10 months otherwise.

We do get Obamacare but make too much for foodstamps or the like. We pay close to $35K in tuition and that number is quickly rising as our kids enter HS/Beis Medrash etc. Yes, it is heavily discounted but still a huge amount for us. We have a child with special needs and one with learning difficulties who needs tutoring in order to just make it in the mainstream system.

This thread makes me feel so guilty.

For years we’ve debated whether or not to take the help offered to us. Some years we politely declined (like when our kids were younger and could be happy with children’s place Shabbos clothing), other years we take. This year we are taking. We live month to month and sometimes are behind a month or two.

It bothers me that my kids “look so good” - if I was paying for things myself I’d likely buy a bit simpler. But I can’t afford it right now.

Yes, I feel terrible for the middle class. I grew up that way too. I do think that most families in our area can get similar help if they asked for it. Because we are both in chinuch, it is just assumed that we need it. I feel bad for my kids to be wearing brand name shoes in front of my middle class neighbors. That’s what the tzedakos choose to offer.

But what exactly should I do about it?

Should we explain to everyone that we are not trying to raise the standard but can’t afford the “normal” clothing? Should I tell my kids we can’t get new clothing and decline the offer even though everyone in their immediate surroundings will have new? Should I only take what we absolutely need even though the way the system is set up, each of my kids will get new shoes and a new suit/outfit even if their old one still fits? Should I protest to the Tzedaka on your behalves? Should I ask chasdei lev if I can split my cost price order with some of neighbors?

I’m asking honestly, what would you hope I would do? I have been walking around with guilt about this for years.

No advice... As someone who is currently poor due to DH job loss and as someone who was middle class poor before... I wish ONE chinuch family offered us help from Chasdei Lev. Let me buy through you. I have had friends who got stuff but weren't even making Pesach and I had to think twice about buying my son some target pants for YT. I know that the organization probably doesn't like that but I wish there was something for non chinuch but needy families like that...
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics