Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Solids

raizy

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 11:29 pm
how often do u give solids to your baby and what age did u start solids.

I strated at 4 months and my baby eats between one to 3 "meals" a day . like ceral or fruit or veg. is that too much or o.k. she loves it and she is big. she loves to eat. Very Happy LOL

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:38 am
I just saw this post now because I wanted to post the same thing. Gavriel is almost 5 months and he has been watching me eat like crazy and grunting. He watches the fork go into my mouth and starts to open his. I think he's reallt ready. I had him taste a little mushed banana and after a funny face, he smiled and cooed with delightment. It was so funny, like he was saying "finally!" So today I gave him a tiny amount of cooked carrot and he really liked it and complained with grunting that I wasn't shovelling it in quickly enough. He finished that and wanted more so I gave him more banana. He had diahrrea so I figured the banana would be good.

I want to skip the rice cereal. I think it is pretty gross and comes with a lot of additives here. Could I just make rice and puree it with a little water from the cooked carrots? Anyone do that? Or maybe I could buy plain cream of rice for cereal - it should be different than the commercial baby stuff. I'll wait a little to make sure he doesn't react to the carrots but he really liked eating. He kept smiling, opening his mouth wide for the next bite and then cooing with joy.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:54 am
It's interesting...my first one ONLY liked the plain rice cereal, and my second refused it. I usually mix it with fruit or veggies for flavour (because yes, on it's own, it's gross). What additives are you concerned about?

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:13 am
I know I bought a bag of rice cereal that was vanilla flavored by mistake. Maybe the plain is okay? I thibk it is yucky to have powdered food. I'd rather puree the rice.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:42 am
Yeah, I don't like the flavoured ones either. Like they really need it at that point?

After a point I just mushed rice, but it's nice to have the powdered stuff on the road or to toss into overly mushy fruits & veg.

raizy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:40 pm
the only reason u give rice and oatmeal ceral is bc the baby gets full from it and its enriched with iron. and I use heinz so no junk added. no sugar no vanilla etc.why else would u give that gastly stuff. and it does fill up the baby.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:22 am
raizy wrote:
the only reason u give rice and oatmeal ceral is bc the baby gets full from it and its enriched with iron. and I use heinz so no junk added. no sugar no vanilla etc.why else would u give that gastly stuff. and it does fill up the baby.
Because it tastes good? Really, that's the only reason I can think of for the baby company (Materna) to make orange flavoured, strawberry, vanilla, and yes, chocolate.

I'm sure it's a cultural thing, as for some reason people here think that chocolate spread on a roll with chocolate milk is a healthy breakfast.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:12 am
I never even heard of flavored baby rice cereal. Sounds strange. I skipped it with my son and went right to oatmeal (baby) instead. Just seems like better nutrition. And we started at 6 months. I wasn't planning to start my new babies until 6 months on solids, but one of them (the chunky one) seems to be looking longingly at my plate these days. Maybe I'll start her a little bit earlier.

e1234

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:17 am
what foods would you start with?
I never gave my kids in the past so early but I would be tempted to try with my baby (4 months next week)
I think it would be good for him.
could I try apple sauce with some baby cereal at this age?

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:24 am
One food at a time. Baby cereal or applesauce. Then the other. When fine with both, go ahead and mix them.

To start I usually do the grains (rice, oatmeal) then apple(sauce), banana, and whatever other fruit is in season (I don't buy jars). Sweet potato, squash, carrot. DS#2 even liked broccoli.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics