Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Has anyone ever made nachos from scratch?

indianamom5

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 10:37 pm
I am wondering if it is even possible. We live oot and there is no restaurant here. My daughter would love it if I could make nachos. I was describing them to a couple of my kids and their mouths were practically watering! What kind of cheese is used, and how does it stay melty like that? Any advice?

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 10:42 pm
What cheese? Aren't nachos just triangular corn chips? What exactly are you trying to make?

leomom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:07 am
Spread nacho chips in a thin layer in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese. Add salsa if you want (some kids like it; some don't). Bake until it looks nice and nacho-ey.

Put it on the table and let kids serve themselves. (Salsa can be added at this point too.)

Enjoy shepping nachos!! Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:05 am
Make a layered dip with refried beans, melted chedder cheese, guacamole, and sour cream.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 9:48 am
I also keep reading this as: has anyone ever made nachas from scratch?

We do a layer of tortilla chips, a layer of salsa, and a layer of cheese, baked until hot and cheese is melted. My kids love it, or they did when I made this ages ago.

mimivan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:06 am
I not only read nachas from scratch, I read nachos from Scratch!
meaning take cornmeal and water and oil and salt and make a dough, roll it out, cut into triangles and circles and deep fry in oil LOL I've never done that but that would REALLy be from scratch (and is tempting because I can't find chips with a good hechsher here)...

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:13 am
mimivan wrote:
I read nachos from Scratch!
meaning take cornmeal and water and oil and salt and make a dough, roll it out, cut into triangles and circles and deep fry in oil LOL I've never done that but that would REALLy be from scratch

Yes, this is what I thought too and why I was #1 wondering where the cheese came in and #2 wondering why she didn't just buy some at the store. Or if not available skip them. They hardly seem worth the trouble to make at home.

GingerSpice

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:28 am
indianamom5 wrote:
I am wondering if it is even possible. We live oot and there is no restaurant here. My daughter would love it if I could make nachos. I was describing them to a couple of my kids and their mouths were practically watering! What kind of cheese is used, and how does it stay melty like that? Any advice?

I make a cheese sauce, I usually use cheddar and mozzrella mix.
This is how I make it,
Butter in a pot, melt with flour (tablespoon or two.. depends on amount of sauce I'm making and how thick I want it to be). Add milk, I let it start to get warm then I add in the cheese and salt. Constantly be stirring it, it will start to thicken before it boils.

GingerSpice

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:31 am
MiracleMama wrote:
mimivan wrote:
I read nachos from Scratch!
meaning take cornmeal and water and oil and salt and make a dough, roll it out, cut into triangles and circles and deep fry in oil LOL I've never done that but that would REALLy be from scratch

Yes, this is what I thought too and why I was #1 wondering where the cheese came in and #2 wondering why she didn't just buy some at the store. Or if not available skip them. They hardly seem worth the trouble to make at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos
Nachos are not the tortilla chips, they are the chips with melted cheese.
Its the name of a snack.

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:47 am
I would go with cheddar and monterey jack (or pepper-jack). You could also throw in a can of mild green chiles for a little spice.

For quick nachos, I used to microwave some cheese in a bowl of sour cream. Now I'm even lazier and just microwave some cheese on top of chips.

indianamom5

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:10 pm
thanks! I am excited to try some of these as soon as I get some cheese, which they are out of here.

Soph

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:16 pm
Hello from south america!!
look nachos are just tortilla chips layered with goodness...

for the chips, u can buy smth like tostitos or buy tortillas and fry or bake them till crisp
and layer on top:
refried beans
guacamole
salsa
sour cream
cheddar cheese and get in the broiler for a few secs to melt (or buy cheese sauce!)

the truth is if u fonr layer them and serve them separately everyone chooses what they like...BUT u miss thos nachos getting just a little moist but still yummy and crispy....wow im craving some!!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 10:58 am
do you want a sub for the chips? maybe you could use puff pastry ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics